Options

How about a flash light.

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited February 3, 2011 in People
Don't have strobes.....how about a flash light. This is a video by David Ziser, Master Photographer.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/ziser/videos/55/909.111/

Comments

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Thanks for this link Charles. I've become a fan of this guy, he really is able to connect with the issues photographers, especially working photographers, meet in the everyday real world and give practical and easy solutions in plain language. Also, he is always exploring for new ideas, new looks, and new techniques, and he generously hands these on to us. Nice guy, good photographer!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Very cool. Finally something within my budget! :D
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    I've been reading his book...Captured By the Light...good book. He talks about the Z-Ray technique and a lot of other stuff...like not using L glass to shoot a lot of his wedding images. He does use L glass, but not for everything. Interesting choice of lenses...especially for a high-end wedding photographer.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2011
    Got to hear him speak at Imaging this year. Worthwhile time. He talks about the images so you can really learn as he walks through the idea, the complications, the solution. The class had a lot of redundancies to the Captured by the Light Book in terms of images, but listening to the process was very good. My favorite 'hack' from the book was turning the camera upside down and shooting with the flash at 1/400s and not caring that the flash wouldn't illuminate the top half of the final image (the bottom of the frame as taken).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2011
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    My favorite 'hack' from the book was turning the camera upside down and shooting with the flash at 1/400s and not caring that the flash wouldn't illuminate the top half of the final image (the bottom of the frame as taken).
    I've done that! Really surreal effect sometimes that you can't jsut put your finger on. I'll have to get his book.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2011
    Wow, thanks so much for posting this. What a great idea. The Brinkmann flashlight is on Amazon for $22.50 - so why not?
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    interesting use of lighting..frankly though... I don't really care for the look it gives.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    I think it's interesting, but I am with Quarik on the look it gives... ne_nau.gif

I think it would be worth it to buy and play around, and maybe see what different settings you can use to create different types of images though...
    Canon Fan
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    I'm susprised he did not warm them up. I too think they are too cool and somewhat unatural. But personal likes are just that, personal likes.
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Thanks for posting the video. I ordered one today, and am anxious to play around with it.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I'm susprised he did not warm them up. I too think they are too cool and somewhat unatural. But personal likes are just that, personal likes.

There is a bird in Australia called the satin bower bird and the male spends most of his time and effort building and decorating a pavilion or gazebo into which he hopes to entice a female and mate with her. He has a very strong preference for anything coloured blue in the way of such decorations, and a humorous example is of one trying to pick off patches of blue colour from clothes drying on the line. He will kill other animals, eg blue insects, solely for their colour for decoration, a behaviour which we share.

Colour preference seems to be common in animals and possibly has a genetic connection, and the genetic-physiological basis of colour vision is different in males and females, including the human species.

Personally, I have such a strong and automatic sympathy for blue it feels instinctual. It's possibly the case that while we can't tolerate some colour casts, such as green, we can enjoy other colour casts such as blue and red. Colour vision serves the purpose of enhancing discrimination of objects, and since a lot of objects are green in a green background (or were in our more natural past), perception of green is not of as much use as blue and red in discriminating objects from a background, so this might be why preferences are for cool and warm colour casts over green (sunsets and twilight).

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Surfdog wrote: »
    Thanks for posting the video. I ordered one today, and am anxious to play around with it.

Can't wait to see some examples! I am very much thinking about ordering one just because it's so cheap. ne_nau.gif
    Canon Fan
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    I'm not really turned off at all by the blue hues but rather the shadows produced....I'm not liking it.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    interesting use of lighting..frankly though... I don't really care for the look it gives.
    As in the shadows or hues?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    As in the shadows or hues?

more the hues but the shadows to some degree. I don't mind direct harsh light when it fits.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2011
    I don't mind direct harsh light when it's part of the shooting conditions :-)
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    jpl_1020jpl_1020 Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    Nice idea right there, not bad for a $29 equipment.
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    I'm not really turned off at all by the blue hues but rather the shadows produced....I'm not liking it.
    Tape and umbrella to the flashlight mwink.gif

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr