Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    I posted this on my Facebook page, and so far have only one taker, but...

I want to give away 3 copies of Food, Inc. to 3 people who are willing to recruit 3 people to do the same, and so on.

So far one down. Anyone else want to help spread the education?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    I posted this on my Facebook page, and so far have only one taker, but...

I want to give away 3 copies of Food, Inc. to 3 people who are willing to recruit 3 people to do the same, and so on.

So far one down. Anyone else want to help spread the education?

One left!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Some nice meat industry responses on the left pane.

"Warner answers that the sows are given individual care and have enough room so that "they can lie down, they can stretch out their limbs." And, he asks, if a sow were raised not being able to turn around, "how does it know any different?""

• Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Copies of Food Inc? If you still have one left, I'll take it.

I did watch it here in Gainesville at a small community theater. They had showings every night of the week and they were all oversold, so they extended it for another few days. I love living in a hippie town.

It was great to see, and the friends that went with me were really hit by it. We've decided to go in together on one of the 'family' memberships to the local growers' distribution thingy - you pay some fee for the year and get a box of fresh, local produce every two weeks or so. They've had local grass-fed vs conventional beef tastings and one is thinking of switching to only grass-fed beef grown in our county, which is awesome. He's also cut meat consumption to once a day, and I give him little vegetarian 'assignments'. The last one was roasted winter vegetables with hulled barley. :)

Anyway, I'm loving this style of eating and talking to my grandparents and folks in their generation, they seem to be happy that people my age (30) are starting to go back to traditional foods.

I'm still having issues trying to explain to my dad why I prefer to eat the way I do; he keeps asking about measurable differences that you really really need to know your stuff to be able to answer, and we need more long-term studies that I can reference. Anyone got any up their sleeve?

At Thanksgiving, he was surprised that my sister was making the baby food for my niece instead of using jarred baby food. He said to her, "Why are you doing this extra cooking and mashing? You were raised on jarred food and you turned out just fine." She mentioned that she and her sister Mara (these are my half-sisters) were both raised on jarred food and both never liked vegetables as kids and have had a lot of issues with their weight and consequently spent many many years eating unhealthy diets, and that she wanted her daughter to learn to eat healthy from the get-go. Then he was quiet :)

And for the record - nice job on that thread, Baldy! That was awesome :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    Copies of Food Inc? If you still have one left, I'll take it.

I have exactly one left. PM me your address, and I'll get it out to you.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    patch29 wrote:
    I read about a new book, soon to be released, and thought it would be of interest to others here.

Anticancer: A New Way of Life
    by David Servan-Schreiber

If you are a Costco member and get the Costco Connection magzine, there is an article in there about the book or you can find it online here on page 37.
    This is a really good book. I'm only part way into it, but the first part of the book is going into great detail about how the mechanisms of cancer growth work and how the body's own defenses can be used to fight it if the conditions are right. The real life examples of when this happened are what really give it meaning. The second part of the book talks about how you can create these "anti-cancer" or "cancer fighting" conditions in your own body. I find it pretty interesting stuff.

Since the book only came out recently, I find it encouraging that researchers are starting to understand more and more about how cancer works and what things might be done to enable the body's own defenses to fight it off. Interesting stuff and worth a read if you're so inclined!
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    At SmugMug, we take our veggies seriously lol3.gif

745176804_Ccxhj-M.jpg

So, I just had my hip replaced, total hip replacement surgery... got out a few days ago and ice is one of the therapies... easiest way is bags of frozen veggies :D

Something else - everything about the hospital stay was easier, I'm convinced, because my diet was better. I didn't need any 'help' to perform basic bodily functions. Others on the floor were bemoaning about either, how difficult it was to actually go, or that they haven't gone or can't go.

Recovery's fast, ..... I should be back to about 90% by end of January 2010!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    At SmugMug, we take our veggies seriously lol3.gif

So, I just had my hip replaced, total hip replacement surgery... got out a few days ago and ice is one of the therapies... easiest way is bags of frozen veggies :D

Something else - everything about the hospital stay was easier, I'm convinced, because my diet was better. I didn't need any 'help' to perform basic bodily functions. Others on the floor were bemoaning about either, how difficult it was to actually go, or that they haven't gone or can't go.

Recovery's fast, ..... I should be back to about 90% by end of January 2010!
    You can even buy an artificial frozen peas cold pack. Good luck with the recovery!

5042811840.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    You can even buy an artificial frozen peas cold pack. Good luck with the recovery!

5042811840.jpg
    Heh, funny... thanks for that.
    Yknow, I'm at an interesting stage I think, I can actually notice the recovery incrementing for the good, from yesterday to today. I'm sure, though, after I do my PT, I'll be hurtin' again.

I'm diving back into my steel cut oats, mm mmm
  • Options
    jeffjochumjeffjochum Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    healthy eating site input?
    Hey guys, I've been asked to help a friend with her new business/site that focuses on helping peeps eat better and would love y'all's input & feedback, if you've got a moment to review.

http://www.reciperx.com/

TIA

jeff
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Went & saw Dr. Fuhrman speak this evening in Clearwater. He says hi. :D

799712467_7jTkU-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2010
    Even Mona Lisa had dietary problems, apparently!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    jeffjochum wrote:
    Hey guys, I've been asked to help a friend with her new business/site that focuses on helping peeps eat better and would love y'all's input & feedback, if you've got a moment to review.

http://www.reciperx.com/

TIA

jeff

Really nice looking site, even looks healthy. Love the nod to the medicine symbol in the fork and leaves logo.

My nits:
    • Text on the tabcards is on the small side.
    • Screenshots on the tabcards are too small and won't enlarge.
    • Not sure the five tabcards sell me on the concept and there doesn't seem to be anything else to do on the site prior to signing up.
    Malte
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 18, 2010
    NomadRip wrote: »
    Went & saw Dr. Fuhrman speak this evening in Clearwater. He says hi. :D

799712467_7jTkU-M.jpg
    That's awesome. He has started to make the big time since Whole Foods adopted his ANDI food scoring system, started posting scores of food in the stores, is hanging banners from the ceiling about ANDI, and has Dr. Fuhrman speaking at the stores.

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/healthy-food-whole-foods-market-educates-consumers-using-dr-fuhrmans-andi-scoring-system.html
  • Options
    VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    Goin' Vegan...
    I got a coupla books in the mail (The China Study & The Engine 2 Diet - Thanks, Baldy! iloveyou.gif) the other day and I've been reading them and trying to convert my kitchen to a vegan diet. I showed the books to my folks and they are getting in on the kick, too. wings.gif

I'm unsure about a few things and wondered if someone here would answer them for me...

1. Is it normal to not feel 'satisfied' when just starting this way of eating? I've noticed that when I'm 'full' that I still feel a tad unsatisfied... not the sleepy, euphoric feeling I usually feel after eating animal proteins or saturated fats.

2. I feel like I might be eating more often - will this iron out or should I expect to eat 3 - 4 meals a day + snacking between them.

3. What about using beef/chicken bones(with no meat on it) to make broths?

Any other suggestions/help is appreciated. I'm feeling better already. clap.gif

Heidi
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2010
    Yoohoo! Anyone home? :D
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2010
    How's the feeling of satisfaction after eating? Has it gotten any better? I found that my taste changed so that the feeling of satisfaction came from eating nutritiously, not just getting calories. I could stuff my face with junk and not feel quite right, but if I eat right my body's getting what it needs. Specific help with this requires more specific information about what you are eating that leaves you unsatisfied. One key ingredient for me is beans. Beans on salad (I like garbanzo), hummus, dal, anything. Beans help stabilize your blood sugars. I eat a lot of beans.

When I first transitioned I ate a lot more, but it was all healthy, and lower in calories (especially when you compare nutrient density to calories), so I didn't stress about it.

As for the bones, why? If your'e going vegan, go vegan. Give it a good shot, at least 6 weeks, hopefully more. Break your addiction to animal products and then you'll have the distance to make a better decision about what you really want to have in your diet.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2010
    DavidTO wrote: »
    How's the feeling of satisfaction after eating? Has it gotten any better? I found that my taste changed so that the feeling of satisfaction came from eating nutritiously, not just getting calories. I could stuff my face with junk and not feel quite right, but if I eat right my body's getting what it needs. Specific help with this requires more specific information about what you are eating that leaves you unsatisfied. One key ingredient for me is beans. Beans on salad (I like garbanzo), hummus, dal, anything. Beans help stabilize your blood sugars. I eat a lot of beans.

When I first transitioned I ate a lot more, but it was all healthy, and lower in calories (especially when you compare nutrient density to calories), so I didn't stress about it.

As for the bones, why? If your'e going vegan, go vegan. Give it a good shot, at least 6 weeks, hopefully more. Break your addiction to animal products and then you'll have the distance to make a better decision about what you really want to have in your diet.

Thanks for the reply! I still haven't noticed much of a change from the satisfactory feeling, but then I'm still early into this. I just wondered if it was a normal feeling.

Beans. I love beans. I could have beans at every meal. I'm gonna eat more beans. lol3.gif

Beef bones - I'm used to making broths with bones but didn't know if that carried over to the vegetarian side, or not. I'm not eating the meat and I'm not savvy enough to understand if using a beef bone to flavor something would contain things that are bad for my body.

To make it right, I should say that I'm eating this way for health reasons, not for environmental reasons.
  • Options
    bongo_52bongo_52 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 29, 2010
    Bump
    Just wanted to kickstart this thread. It's too good to let languish.

I posted this over on ADVRider yesterday. I blame all you guys here :D.

============================================

The last few years, we've been eating less meat. It just sort of happened, no conscious decision until a couple months ago.

I wanted to get my cholesterol down, below 200 total. It was never that bad, usually 180-230, but the flight docs who did my physicals never sounded the alarm. As I was getting ready to retire, I wanted to take care of it.

I had another motive: try to improve my wife's health. She has MS and is self-conscious about going to the gym, so maintaining weight and strength is a challenge.

In the process of researching MS, diabetes (her mother has it and another issue I want her to avoid), I came across "The China Study" and the "Feed me" thread on Digital Grin. Those helped us decide to go to a plant-based diet.

Fortunately, my wife is a great and fearless cook and jumped in wholeheartedly. We got the "Engine 2 Diet" and other vegetarian cookbooks. They were ok, but then we found the "Moosewood Restaurant Lowfat Favorites" cookbook.

That book is GOLD. We've never had a bad dish from it and it's lowfat. (you'd be surprised how much fat is in some vegetarian dishes).

I lost 5lbs and my wife 8lbs since we've made the conscious move to eat differently. It's not hard, we never feel deprived or like we're dieting. We still have the occasional burger, chicken or BACON.

Sorry for rambling.

>Al

==========================================

Some of our favorite recipes from the Moosewood book:

- Tamale pie
    - Bean burgers (we use black beans)
    - Lentil and artichoke pasta
    - Mushroom and polenta

Thanks for sharing on this thread. You've supported and inspired us to keep going when falling off the wagon, food-wise, would be soooo easy.

>Al
  • Options
    HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2010
    Wow! What an encouraging thread. I never would have expected to find it here on SM. I've been trying to either diet or exercise and need to do both. Not so much because of weight (I'm only about 5-10 lbs over) but because of a bad heart. Additionally, my wife is constantly fighting to keep her weight down and bad knees and arthritis make it hard.

I'm heading to the library tomorrow to find the China study and some of the other reading material I've read about in this thread. I checked out the Moosewood site and they have some great sounding recipes but my wife has a very bland taste. Nothing spicy, and noting with any seasonings that she can actually taste. Salt and pepper and little of that. And after 45 years of marriage I know she isn't going to change :)

Hopefully I can find something that we can both work with.

Thanks to everyone who has posted tips and advice.
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2010
    Still alive and better than ever
    Wow, I can't believe it's been over two years since I added anything to this thread. See this here for my last (lengthy) update.

As a quick update, I'm now down by ~110 pounds since starting in 2007. I'm 37 but I honestly feel better than I did for most of my 20s even though I probably had a lower percentage of body fat and probably more lean mass also back then.

I'm still following the same dietary habits I described before - an ETL philosophy most of the time with some indulgences here and there (whew - glad the Thanksgiving leftovers are gone). I'm quite satisfied with that and plan to continue.

Around October last year I decided to try running. I had been going to the gym to lift (that was fine, but uninspiring - it was really all I knew though) and knew I needed to bring in some cardio. The running thing has really grabbed me - so much so that it's really now more of a focus for me than the strength training. Just ran my first half-marathon a couple weeks ago and made myself very proud. wings.gif

Here's the thing - I think I had everything else I needed in place. With the addition of the running it all came together. That's when the rest of the weight melted right off and the body started to tell me how happy it was. thumb.gif

So anyway, I think I'm on a good course right now. Things are really looking up health-wise. Time will tell I suppose.

Hope you all are well.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2010
    Phil, that's awesome news. Congrats on the better health and the wherewithal to stick to it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2010
    Phil; so glad to here that. My doc has been after me to walk 3-5 miles every day (for heart rather than weight) but I found walking around the block very boring so last week, I bought a treadmill and I'm starting walking again. Now I can watch the news or a movie while I walk. Much more interesting.

I only do 1 mile a day, three times a week currently, but plan on moving that up to at least 2miles a day by Jan 1, 2011 and 5 miles a day by my 70th birthday in 2010. I talked to a friend last week who is in his late 80s and he told me he was running 2 miles a day when he was 80. That sets the bar pretty high but I'm going to try for it.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2010
    Hinson wrote: »
    but I found walking around the block very boring so last week, I bought a treadmill and I'm starting walking again. Now I can watch the news or a movie while I walk. Much more interesting.

I've heard that same complaint from many people and I can definitely understand. For me though, I've found being outside better - I take the opportunity to unplug and really tune into what I have going on. It's a little bit of 'me' time. Works well as a way to burn off any stress from the day - surprisingly well really.
    I only do 1 mile a day, three times a week currently, but plan on moving that up to at least 2miles a day by Jan 1, 2011 and 5 miles a day by my 70th birthday in 2010. I talked to a friend last week who is in his late 80s and he told me he was running 2 miles a day when he was 80. That sets the bar pretty high but I'm going to try for it.

Good for you - go for it. thumb.gif I wish you the best. That's the overall main goal for the changes I've been making - better health later in life so that I can actually do the things I enjoy doing.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2010
    Phil; back on the subject of photography; I was looking at your DC images (very impressive) and wanted to ask about some of the night shots. It appears that a few were definitely made using a tripod. Can I assume that you had no problems from the DC/Capitol/Park police with regard to the tripod? When I shot this shot, the policeman came over and told me that I couldn't use the tripod. While asking for the reason, I kept clicking the release cable (he was nice and smiled, knowing what I was doing) but then packed up and left. I've not tried any long shutter speed shots down there since but would love to get some night shots of the various memorials/monuments.
    1082652176_nrUF5-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2010
    Phil; back on the subject of photography; I was looking at your DC images (very impressive) and wanted to ask about some of the night shots. It appears that a few were definitely made using a tripod. Can I assume that you had no problems from the DC/Capitol/Park police with regard to the tripod?

Thanks! That's a little off topic for this particular thread but I'll put the quick answer here. Definitely plenty of tripod use there. I have been told on a few occasions by the capitol police that tripod use is restricted in certain areas (near the capitol building, at the Lincoln memorial, etc.) but completely ok at other spots (like the WWII memorial). I've had a similar experience as you - they've all been really nice about it. Usually I'm set up, got my shot and out before anyone bothers but when the capitol police have come by I play dumb - I'm polite and am treated in kind. Haven't had any issues. They've said there's a permit you can get to be allowed use a tripod in those areas but I'm sure that comes with a fee. :bigbs
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2011
    KISS YOUR ORGANICS GOODBYE! Tell the USDA to reject Monsanto's GMO Alfalfa: http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/kiss_your_organics_goodbye
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    KISS YOUR ORGANICS GOODBYE! Tell the USDA to reject Monsanto's GMO Alfalfa: http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/kiss_your_organics_goodbye

Thanx Andy...I sent out on several of my forums I frequent and also facebook/twitter and blogged it.....a lot of health probs could be solved if the growers and govt would let food go back to being what it was 40-50 yrs ago before all the genetic engineering started in full force.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    seanmhorseanmhor Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2011
    New here, finally made it through this extremely long but fascinating thread. I have been considering moving away from meat eating for quite a while and this thread has perhaps tipped me over the line., At one point I exercised religiously 6 days a week, heavy weights,some cardio, but i have been backsliding for the last couple of years. I travel extensively for work,so it can be difficult to keep my eating habits in check, lots of airplane food etc.,
    I am quite taken with some of the recipes but again I'm not much of a cook,but I think I could handle the smoothies.
    I'm looking forward to giving it a go this year.
    J.