Options

580ex repair possibilities

JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited February 4, 2011 in Accessories
Hi all,
I found a pair of 580ex flashes for sale from a skateboard photographer (flashes likely knocked off of light stands by boards or falling skaters) for 100.00... he states that they both "work" but only on full power... has anybody had a similar issue and gotten their unit repaired? I know I could call canon, but when I've called before to get an idea about a lens repair they basically said we can't tell you until you send it in...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited February 3, 2011
    It's best to send the units into an authorized Canon repair center. They will give you an estimate before attempting repairs and you can decide at that time whether it makes sense.

I would not recommend that you purchase these flashes on the speculation that they might be cheaply repaired. I would pass on the purchase.

Edit: Another way to look at this is if the seller thought they could be easily repaired, they probably would have undertaken the repairs themselves.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    I knew the answer before I asked... just figured I'd get it confirmed... thanks Ziggy

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    Another reason CPS Memberships are a benefit. Say the repair was $300, would only cost you $210 (30% discount), netting you 2 flashes for $310. Not a bad price..