Options

equipment/technique for show choir competition

candyman44256candyman44256 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited February 7, 2011 in Technique
I was asked to shoot a local HS show choir competition and was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on equipment/lenses, etc.. I will most likely be shooting from the front row of the balcony so as to get not only the overall stage and group shots but also to shoot individual performers as well during their numbers.

The stage lighting will vary as each number and group perform.

My thought was to use my Canon 7d coupled to my 70-200 f/2.8 IS for the individual shots and I'm looking to rent another body and lens for the wide angles.

I shot a very similar event last year and I thought the pics turned out ok for my first theater shoot (IMHO) but I'm looking for better clarity. I had my 7d body on a tripod and switched back and forth from the 70-200 and a EF-S 17-40 f/2.8 that I borrowed from my buddy....it was a pain switching back and forth so I'm planning on renting another body/lens this year. Images from that event can be found here.

Not even 1 reply....??? Maybe it was too broad a question so I'll try to narrow it down.

I'm particularly interested in suggestions for body, maybe f/f 5d and also about if renting a 200 f/2L would be worth the cost. Also wondering about the best wide angle for use from the balcony.

http://yourkidsinaction.smugmug.com/Medina-Performing-Arts/2009-2010-School-Year/05-27-10-Showtime-Show-Choir/12646073_Nzhi4#908964524_eRU75

Any thoughts/tips/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Scott

Comments