Black Rapid - My wife is now freaked out

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited September 10, 2015 in Accessories
So I've been using a Black Rapid strap for about 2.5 years now. I love it. Very comfortable. It's easy to get to the camera and easy to keep your camera out of the way when walking through crowds, etc. My wife has always been concerned because of the way it attaches to the camera. I think I finally had her convinced that all is well until Sunday.

We went to a camera repair place to get her little Oly p&s fixed. I had my D700 with me and I didn't want to leave it in the car so I brought it in with me. Well... long story short, the camera guys asks me if I trust having my camera on the BR strap and then goes on to lecture me about how it's not safe and he's surprised my camera has fallen off and broken. Now my wife is freaked out again.

Have any of you guys had any problems with the Black Rapid strap breaking or the tripod mount pulling away from the camera body?

Also... anyone use there double strap? How do you like it?
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    I don't use it often but I have never had an issue
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    google it and/or do a search in the forums here. you'll find some horror stories, but the ones I've seen have all been from people using older style mounts OR who attach it to another piece of hardware, like the not-to-be-used ring on the manfrotto tripod plate (BR makes a replacement for that for a reason...).

personally, I've seen LOTS of VERY expensive cameras and lenses on BR straps with zero issues, including my own. These straps are very very popular out where I am. Others are also making headway, like the lluma oop - which I might get the attachment for and use with my BlackRapid strap. Not because I think it's not secure, but because I'd like to be able to use the tripod plate without having to remove the strap :)http://www.lu.ma/

It sounds like this random camera guy was relating urban legands. Did it happen to HIM personally? I doubt it. any stories I've seen have been the 'I heard that...' variety. And again, if not, on old or improper hardware.
    //Leah
  • philtherowerphiltherower Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    One of my friends parents actually own BR. I'd trust the straps with my camera, even though usually I'm happy with just using the original Nikon ones (yea I know, kinda lame and uncomfortable, but they're cheap and do their job).
  • sellissellis Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    I've had BR straps for three years. The original design used to be a problem because the clip could accidentally open. There were a few times that I would pull my camera up to my eye and the strap would come undone. Luckily, the camera never fell! The new clip has a locking mechanism that is much safer.
    I doubt the tripod socket will pull out, they're made to support the camera at any angle. Most Nikons I've owned, the tripod socket is machined into the body of the camera.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    That's good news and what I figured. I just wanted to be sure because I hate the old "I told you so".

Like I said, I have a BR strap and it's never failed. BUT... I think I may have the old design. Mine has a spring loaded clip that latches to the connector on the camera. Kind of like the way a dog leash connects to a collar. Is that in fact the older one?

My Smug Site
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Have one, use it, love it. Never had any problems with it. I sometimes use it as the strap for my holster as well to simplify things.
    edited January 25, 2011
    the new one is spring loaded too, but then it has a screw 'cap' that you can screw down to keep it securely locked.
    //Leah
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    That's good news and what I figured. I just wanted to be sure because I hate the old "I told you so".

Like I said, I have a BR strap and it's never failed. BUT... I think I may have the old design. Mine has a spring loaded clip that latches to the connector on the camera. Kind of like the way a dog leash connects to a collar. Is that in fact the older one?

The current strap's carabiner screws closed.
    edited January 25, 2011
    btw, you can buy JUST the new clip: http://www.blackrapid.com/product/hardware/connectr/

also, you might want to look into their newest versions of the tripod mount too. good stuff :)
    //Leah
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    sellis wrote: »
    I've had BR straps for three years. The original design used to be a problem because the clip could accidentally open. There were a few times that I would pull my camera up to my eye and the strap would come undone. Luckily, the camera never fell! The new clip has a locking mechanism that is much safer.
    I doubt the tripod socket will pull out, they're made to support the camera at any angle. Most Nikons I've owned, the tripod socket is machined into the body of the camera.

Yep. That has happened to me, and one time my equipment did hit the deck because of it. umph.gif
    The new connector fixed the problem and now I have zero issues with it. It is by far the most comfortable thing I have ever used.
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    You can use the BR with a tripod plate, just attach the BR to a quick release clamp.
    catspaw wrote: »
    Not because I think it's not secure, but because I'd like to be able to use the tripod plate without having to remove the strap :)http://www.lu.ma/
    edited January 26, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    You can use the BR with a tripod plate, just attach the BR to a quick release clamp.

to a quick release clamp? I wouldn't risk it, nor do I want to carry around even MORE weight.
    //Leah
    edited January 26, 2011
    Hmmm, it's the same clamp you would use on a tripod??
    to a quick release clamp? I wouldn't risk it, nor do I want to carry around even MORE weight.
    edited January 27, 2011
    no idea what you are talking about for a 'clamp', sorry.
    //Leah
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    BR does have a new connector that is made to connect to a QR plate and allow you to use the plate without having to take the BR connector off. So you can go from using the BR strap right to putting the camera on a tripod without having to switch anything.

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/hardware/fr-t1/

<param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/player/7a2f6738/&quot; /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="fake=1"/><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/7a2f6738/&quot; width="437" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="fake=1" name="viddler" ></embed></object>

Looks pretty good to me!
    edited January 27, 2011
    Rhuarc wrote: »
    BR does have a new connector that is made to connect to a QR plate and allow you to use the plate without having to take the BR connector off. So you can go from using the BR strap right to putting the camera on a tripod without having to switch anything.

Yup, I mentioned that above. It's for the Manfrotto - which is a proprietary system, so it does not work for those of us in the acra-swiss style.
    //Leah
    edited January 27, 2011
    Yup, I mentioned that above. It's for the Manfrotto - which is a proprietary system, so it does not work for those of us in the acra-swiss style.

I wonder if there is any chance of emailing the BR makers and requesting a similar connector for use with other tripod QR plates? I think if a company is going to provide access to one proprietary system they should provide easy access to all of the most popular ones. (Yes, that was a very light jab at Smugmug and their Apple loving /Android hating ways =P )
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    That's a pretty dramatic video for a connector.

My Smug Site
    edited January 27, 2011
    Like this:

1169484870_8cq4d-O.png

no idea what you are talking about for a 'clamp', sorry.
    edited January 27, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Like this:

okay, sure i have one of those, but it's pretty firmly mounted to my ball head :) not going to attach the strap to THAT.
    //Leah
    edited January 27, 2011
    Yup, that's why I have a spare one :ivar
    okay, sure i have one of those, but it's pretty firmly mounted to my ball head :) not going to attach the strap to THAT.
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    We have never had an issue but you do need to make sure that the screw/attachment piece is screwed in nice and tight. Over time with movement it loosens slightly, even with the new rubber gasket.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
    edited January 27, 2011
    We have never had an issue but you do need to make sure that the screw/attachment piece is screwed in nice and tight. Over time with movement it loosens slightly, even with the new rubber gasket.

Thank you for the response. Totally understand this and is why I often check to make sure the screw is tight, especially when I am doing a lot of walking and/or shooting.

As I said in my original post, I've had my BR strap for close to 3 years now and I have never had any issues with it. It's the most comfortable strap I've used and that is huge when you carrying a Nikon D300/D700 with the Nikkor 28/70mm f/2.8, AKA "The Beast".

I just wanted to ease my wife's concerns.

My Smug Site
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Just connect it to the eyelets and be done with it. I have been able to support the weight of a D3s and Sigma 120-300 this way.
  • uncreativeuncreative Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    do you have a pic of this setup?
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Just connect it to the eyelets and be done with it. I have been able to support the weight of a D3s and Sigma 120-300 this way.
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    I've been using one with the original closure and A/S clamp for years and never had any problems. I did tape the gate shut to make sure accidents wouldn't happen just to play it safe.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    ...I'm thinking of getting the Spyder system, and COMPLETELY taking all weight off my shoulders. :-)

http://www.spiderholster.com/

=Matt=

<object height="390" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Di-XEIkc3E8&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="390" width="640"></object>
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    uncreative wrote: »
    do you have a pic of this setup?

No, but it isn't all that hard to imagine. It's just hooked up to an eyelet.
    edited February 7, 2011
    ...I'm thinking of getting the Spyder system, and COMPLETELY taking all weight off my shoulders. :-)

=Matt=

I have been thinking about getting this as well for hiking. I like that I could use this plate system and still use the tripod QR plate without having to remove it first.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011

=Matt=

I saw that spider system, it looks pretty cool. I was thinking about getting it, but I also thought how some police officers have back pain carrying duty belts (I have a weak back). Would the spider system do that to a full time professional? You may end up getting suspenders to hold up the belt too, know how heavy camera gear can get. Which is counter productive to the goal of "taking off your shoulders".

Mathew, if you do decide on getting it, I would be interested in a review from you. thumb.gif