Options

Candids and low lighting

konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited February 7, 2011 in Technique
I'm the Designated Driver for my group at a party tonight - low lighting, DJ, etc. I plan on taking lots of candid shots (no flash if possible).

Camera: Pentax K-x
Glass: Pentax 18-55mm DA-L (came with the K-x)
Tamron 28-105mm AF (legacy)
Sigma 80-200mm (legacy)
Pentax 50mm (legacy)

Aside from the obvious ...high ISO, low F-Stop, etc... does anyone have any suggestions?

Which lens(es) should I leave at home?
Manual or AutoFocus(when possible)?
Which camera mode(s)?

Thanx
--- Kono ---
Pentax K-x and assorted lenses

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 7, 2011
    bump
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    I didn't reply since the date had passed here. Not sure if the question is moot or not.
    You didn't specify what speed glass you have here. How low of an f/stop are you able to go, and how high of an ISO before noise kicks in too much?

For candids, I'd have stuck with the 50 (since that one is likely < f/2). Shoot in aperture priority to keep the lens wide open and let the shutter speed vary. I'd use spot metering or something not taking in the whole to avoid any DJ lights from forcing an underexposure of the subject.

I don't have any experience with the body/lenses you are using, so this is very theoretical....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    I didn't reply since the date had passed here. Not sure if the question is moot or not.
    You didn't specify what speed glass you have here. How low of an f/stop are you able to go, and how high of an ISO before noise kicks in too much?

For candids, I'd have stuck with the 50 (since that one is likely < f/2). Shoot in aperture priority to keep the lens wide open and let the shutter speed vary. I'd use spot metering or something not taking in the whole to avoid any DJ lights from forcing an underexposure of the subject.

I don't have any experience with the body/lenses you are using, so this is very theoretical....

Too late for last Friday, but never too late to learn something :D. The 50 is a 2 - the rest are 3.5 or greater.

I tried using the 80-200, but it was a bit too crowed to use it effectively. I spent most of the night using the Tamron 28-105, spending most of the time at the high end of the range. Anything distant was a under exposed and noisy (even at iso 3200 and 6400), anything close was fine. I was able to rescue a lot of it in post processing.

I never thought of using the 50 - I like catching my shots from a distance when they have no idea that they are being photographed.

Another event in a couple of weeks - maybe I'll try again. Considering a Takumar 135mm/2.5. That might do the trick.
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    If you bump around in the Street forum, there are those there that would say using something like the 50 (shorter lenses) is the best way to do candids. Firing from far away has advantages, but with the small 50mm lens you can be much less obtrusive and get in the midst of it all. Your Mileage May Vary....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site