Options

Newbie needs help with macro equipment

snakemausnakemau Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited February 8, 2011 in Holy Macro
Hey there,

First, this forum is AWESOME!!!! Now to business. I have a Canon XSi with the EFS 18-55mm, a EFS 55-250mm, a Speedlite 430EX II flash, and recently got my EF 100 mm macro lens. My goal with the macro is to use it for insect and marine fish/invertebrate pictures and others. I had no clue on how to really use the macro until I started reading the macro exercises in this forum (I still don't, but not as bad as before!) But I was wondering if I should get the Canon ER 14X ring-type flash or if there are any other options available that would improve the light source on my pics? I also need a tripod/head and I'm thinking on the Manfroto 190XB or the 190XDB tripod with the Manfroto 3265 head. Are there any other good options out there? I have use my camera mostly for point/shoot, but I want to get serious about real photography (nature mostly) and would like to get advice and guidance. There are no local photography clubs or courses near by so any good online courses/books/ forums like this one and others will be appreciated.
Thanks
Your eyes create a temporary memory of what you see, but your camera captures a life time image...just be sure to print it!

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Can't help with the tripod as I don't use one but I think I would use your existing flash on a bracket with a diffuser. Twin light macro flashes are very difficult to diffuse well.
    More macro hints and tips here
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=807056
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2011
    Hey LordV, thank you for the info. And that link is awesome, just what I was looking for. Thanks. I surely need all the help I can get to figure out how to properly take pictures and what settings to use on the camera and others. That is great, thanks!
    Your eyes create a temporary memory of what you see, but your camera captures a life time image...just be sure to print it!
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    I can't speak to the lighting, but you've chosen a quality tripod and a quality head.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2011
    Hey run kmc, thanks for the input. Has anyone had any issues with the locking mechanism of the 190XDB tripod? or is it better to just chose the 190XB?
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited February 8, 2011
    if you really need a tripod the 190 series all good, take a look at the 460mg magnesium 3 way head, i use it for landscapes and very occasionally macro very good easily adjustable to any angle!
    your 430 flash will be great