edited February 10, 2011 in People
1164545104_ipQee-X2.jpg

1165324060_vQfyd-X2.jpg

991372993_WnhjS-X2-3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Interesting. I have to say that I'm not a big fan of processing taken to this extreme (HDR?) but these images sure caught my attention. I like the first one more but the face of the boy seems very soft and airbrushed looking compared to the tack sharp background. The second one freaks me out a little. The edges of the figures look unrealistically outlined against the blurred background and the skin looks dirty like it was overly dodged and burned. The figures almost take on a kind of rubbery, inflated look. I would love to see these without all the processing. They look to be excellent captures.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Options
    DavremdaliDavremdali Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Interesting. I have to say that I'm not a big fan of processing taken to this extreme (HDR?) but these images sure caught my attention. I like the first one more but the face of the boy seems very soft and airbrushed looking compared to the tack sharp background. The second one freaks me out a little. The edges of the figures look unrealistically outlined against the blurred background and the skin looks dirty like it was overly dodged and burned. The figures almost take on a kind of rubbery, inflated look. I would love to see these without all the processing. They look to be excellent captures.

Hi Brian, I actually processed these images in Lucis Art and Not HDR software. Lucist Art tends to dirty the skin. I placed the image on site to get ideas for my future images. On the first image, I masked the face, arms and legs to obtain the original color back. I then softened the image and applied a modified Amy Dresser technique - by Joel Grimes.

Reynaldo
    www.creativephotoimagesllc.com
  • Options
    Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Interesting. I have to say that I'm not a big fan of processing taken to this extreme (HDR?) but these images sure caught my attention. I like the first one more but the face of the boy seems very soft and airbrushed looking compared to the tack sharp background. The second one freaks me out a little.

I tend to agree with Brian. However, that said, lately this HDR style (or Lucis Art style) of portraiture has taken the commercial buisness of photography by storm. Espescialy in sports oriented advertising. I see some of the most sucessful shooters in the business using it frequently. Chase Jarvis imediately comes to mind.
    It is a trend I believe that will not last too long as a mainstay but will sell well today and for a while to come. Until 3-D bumps it or merges with it. Like Impresionism vs Realism painters, there is room for all and tastes of clients to buy it all. I am more a realist but am thrilled to see this work and think it fascinating.

Davremdali,
    Would you be interested in writing a short piece on this technique and your style of photography for guest posting on my blog? I would love to show your work there. Perhaps a little background and a pic or two? Let me know if you are interested.
    Thanks. Albert
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Lucis Art, Windows, only, and it is a one image HDR style process (tone mapping, I presume), according to that website.

Very interesting renderings of these images! thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2011
    Interesting. I have to say that I'm not a big fan of processing taken to this extreme (HDR?) but these images sure caught my attention. I like the first one more but the face of the boy seems very soft and airbrushed looking compared to the tack sharp background. The second one freaks me out a little.

I tend to agree with Brian. However, that said, lately this HDR style (or Lucis Art style) of portraiture has taken the commercial buisness of photography by storm. Espescialy in sports oriented advertising. I see some of the most sucessful shooters in the business using it frequently. Chase Jarvis imediately comes to mind.
    It is a trend I believe that will not last too long as a mainstay but will sell well today and for a while to come. Until 3-D bumps it or merges with it. Like Impresionism vs Realism painters, there is room for all and tastes of clients to buy it all. I am more a realist but am thrilled to see this work and think it fascinating.

Davremdali,
    Would you be interested in writing a short piece on this technique and your style of photography for guest posting on my blog? I would love to show your work there. Perhaps a little background and a pic or two? Let me know if you are interested.
    Thanks. Albert

Albert, as canvas artist (as I started out and instructed by one of my Panting Instructors – Never be afraid to create and explore) and photographers, we have to able to adjust with the trends in order to make a viable standing and profit. I am also a wedding and portrait photographer where my images are only processed in Photoshop. Not all clients are thrilled with the new Processing techniques. I look at HDR or Lucis Art, Topaz or Nik Color as a like to HD/Blue Ray. Every medium has its own market. Look at Salvatore Dali (strange but interesting) Rembrandt who fashioned the 45 degree lighting technique which gives structure to the face, Photographer and Lighting Expert Joel Grimes to name a few, HDR experts Rick Sammons and Trey Ratcliff. On the opposite spectrum you have Clay Blackmore International Known Wedding photographers. Anyway, it would be my pleasure to put something together for your blog.
    Reynaldo
    www.creativephotoimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    I just noticed #3 which for some reason wasn't there when I initially replied to your thread. I like that one. For my taste, the effect enhances rather than oververpowers the subject.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2011
    I just noticed #3 which for some reason wasn't there when I initially replied to your thread. I like that one. For my taste, the effect enhances rather than oververpowers the subject.

Hi Brian. I just added a third image The technique can be subtle to extreme. Lucis Art can also be used to enhance clothing. I would however mask the face and body parts then bring out the original skin tone. However it was not the case in this image everything was lightly processed in ucis Art and completed in PS CS4. This image was originally multiple images that I had to mask to get aone single image. The children were not looking up in all images.

Reynaldo Williams

• Options
    PrairiemaidenPrairiemaiden Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    I like the hdr look for some select sports images for seniors. I use it on a new layer so I can adjust opacity and mask in Photoshop.

Here are a couple where I used topaz adjust, also used ocf 580EXII.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_7jXFxvonkm8/TIVA-MFj-tI/AAAAAAAAAPs/6VjYLW0eRgM/s1600/echilson_blog-1%5B16%5D.jpg

http://www.nancycuppyphotography.com/Portraits/chamlin-senior-portraits/chamlin03/825890042_pSH8e-M.jpg
  • Options
    ssersser Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    interesting.. would be cool for landscape or cityscape but definitely not for skin tones.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    Dave, you should join us. That first shot is a killer.

http://www.marylandppa.com/
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2011
    Charles, I am planning on being there. Not sure about the whole week.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2011
    I like the hdr look for some select sports images for seniors. I use it on a new layer so I can adjust opacity and mask in Photoshop.

Here are a couple where I used topaz adjust, also used ocf 580EXII.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_7jXFxvonkm8/TIVA-MFj-tI/AAAAAAAAAPs/6VjYLW0eRgM/s1600/echilson_blog-1%5B16%5D.jpg

http://www.nancycuppyphotography.com/Portraits/chamlin-senior-portraits/chamlin03/825890042_pSH8e-M.jpg

I really like the runner. The only thing That would add is increasing the contrast in the sky by adding a filter. Give it a touch of drama

Reynaldo Williams
  • Options
    dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Love the post work!

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Thanks for posting these. I really like this sort of PP. I just purchased LucisArt ED/SE, and I was wondering whether you'd be happy to share a little info on the sort of settings you used to achieve these effects. Did you use ED, SE, or both - and are you able to give an indication of the numbers? Thanks.
    John
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2011
    Sventekoz wrote: »
    Thanks for posting these. I really like this sort of PP. I just purchased LucisArt ED/SE, and I was wondering whether you'd be happy to share a little info on the sort of settings you used to achieve these effects. Did you use ED, SE, or both - and are you able to give an indication of the numbers? Thanks.

Hi John thanks for viewing my work. I use Lucist Art ED (I must say that I love the software and thinking about updating) ai am a PC user and planning on switching to a Mac but I understand that future Lucist Software versions are not going to support the Mac) anyway, My primary settings are: Enhansed Detail 31 and mixed original image 30 Processed and 70 original. My second is setting is less destructive to the skin. Settings are 53/23/78. I always keep two originals one post processed with Photoshop and one unprocessed. Keep those them to later bring out the original skin tone by way of masking or superenpossing merging two images to form one. Depending on the look that I am looking for I will runny first pass and then rerun the second setting and cut back on the first slider and increase the second slider. I will sometime add Nik software into my technique. Nik filters are excellent. Let me know if this helps.

Reynaldo Williams
  • Options
    SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Thanks for this Reynaldo - I really appreciate it. I look forward to having a play with a few photos once I get home from work! :)
    John