Options

Some Weigh-In shots

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited February 11, 2011 in Sports
Shooting another MMA event this weekend. Here are a few shots of the weigh-ins. Will post some fight shots later after the event. CC welcome.

1169967369_6Etd4-L.jpg

1169954434_TLGhk-L-2.jpg

1169972503_2ukyn-L.jpg

1169967553_QbA9T-L.jpg

1169972792_5R9b2-L.jpg

1169970405_gM5i4-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    Looking good.

Shooting an event tonight here in Jacksonville. In the middle of moving into a house as well. Whew!
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    Great photosbowdown.gif

My favs #2 & #4

Are you the official photographer for MMA?

Take Care,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2011
    For this production I am the main photographer. Thanks for the comments guys!
  • Options
    ironforgesironironforgesiron Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 31, 2011
    Hi Zerodog,

I'm a huge MMA fan, PM me if you want to check out my site - would be great to showcase your photography on there.

What camera do you use? I'm looking to buy an entry level DSLR and want something that takes the best shots for the price.

Any idea's?
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    I like the poses, but your flash is too bright on 3, 4 and 5 and you've got some vignetting - was it possible to shoot from further back or were you forced in close?
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2011
    John, that is how I set up the shot. I wanted it to really pop. I added more highlights to these in post. And the vignetting is also done in post. I did this with one flash on a high stand with a flash bender reflector. This is shooting over my head right down the middle. This adds nice directional light to help make the guys look more ripped. And is very directional when they are on the scale. I also have a flash on camera as used as fill. This is a tough setup because this is also the official weigh in. The same light also needs to be lighting the scale.

It goes like this. One guy weighs in, then goes to the side and waits. The next guy weighs in. Then they do the face off. Everyone is humoring us at this point too. These guys haven't eaten anything all day, or days to make weight. And they have to face their opponent. Getting them close is challenging. I "try" to get 3 shots. Everyone is nervous tired and hungry. They just want a sandwich at this point.

I set the fighters away from the backdrop about 6 ft or so. I did this to help control the wicked reflection on the banner. At the last one of these I shot, the banner was a problem with glare. This time was better. But still apparent.
  • Options
    ironforgesironironforgesiron Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 1, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    John, that is how I set up the shot. I wanted it to really pop. I added more highlights to these in post. And the vignetting is also done in post. I did this with one flash on a high stand with a flash bender reflector. This is shooting over my head right down the middle. This adds nice directional light to help make the guys look more ripped. And is very directional when they are on the scale. I also have a flash on camera as used as fill. This is a tough setup because this is also the official weigh in. The same light also needs to be lighting the scale.

It goes like this. One guy weighs in, then goes to the side and waits. The next guy weighs in. Then they do the face off. Everyone is humoring us at this point too. These guys haven't eaten anything all day, or days to make weight. And they have to face their opponent. Getting them close is challenging. I "try" to get 3 shots. Everyone is nervous tired and hungry. They just want a sandwich at this point.

I set the fighters away from the backdrop about 6 ft or so. I did this to help control the wicked reflection on the banner. At the last one of these I shot, the banner was a problem with glare. This time was better. But still apparent.

What MMA promotion is this?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    Showdown Fights in Utah.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    Finally, I had a spare minute to upload some shots.

1183324945_gzjZA-L.jpg

1183325004_SnCzM-L.jpg

1183325251_gzGc5-L.jpg

1183324551_aVnLN-L.jpg

1183324323_kip5d-L.jpg

1183324435_u4Pwn-L.jpg

7. This fight went a little over 1 minute. Ended to a wicked neck kick. I missed it..... It happened very fast.
    1183324630_PPxdG-L.jpg

1183335275_HimXV-L.jpg

9. Ouch! My fricken neck! This dude took it like a champ. And had a great attitude about getting worked over. Kasheem Peterson is a guy you need to watch for in the UFC. He is rising fast.
    1183332275_REvnL-L.jpg
  • Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Very nice work on the shots man. Nice to see another good MMA photog out there...
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2011
    Thanks man!