Options

Fav. Business Credit Card?

ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
edited February 22, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
Right or wrong, I currently use one credit card for everything (business and personal) and then break it apart each statement. I'm considering getting a credit card just for my business to make my life a bit easier. With that being said, do you have a business credit card that you love and can recommend?
Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Amex Plum followed by Chase Ink.
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    I just got a separate credit card through my local bank in conjunction with my business checking.
    Keeping business and personal separate makes the accounting end of things much easier - especially come tax time!
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 8, 2011
    separate cards / accounts? absolutely!!!

big banks? hell no!!!

local credit union, all the way thumb.gif

• Options
    stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Visa/MC Debit card. You choose the bank. I'm a Dave Ramsey fan.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2011
    I definitely have separate bank accounts, but never use my business debit card for purchases because it doesn't (typically) have as much protection as an actual credit card does. We just had someone on the news here in Maine whose business account got wiped out because she used her debit card for everything. The bank did nothing (at first) because they said the business account card had less protection than their personal cards. (They later helped the lady out thanks to all the press coverage giving them a bad name.)

For what its worth, my balance is always paid in full. The credit card is for better transaction protection and also for the rewards.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    I second the chase. Or AMEX, Chase has 100.00 cash back right now, 0 interest for 1 year. I JUST bought a 5d about 10 minutes ago with it, so I get 100.00 off the 5d basically (my d700's are really ticking me off) but yeah. go to them or amex, but in the long run compare what you will be in interest. Points and all that are great, but if you dont pay it off, you will be paying them a but load to get those high points
  • Options
    codyjbennettcodyjbennett Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    I live in Juneau, AK, so for me, best option is the Alaska Airlines VISA card (via Bank of America); I get miles for purchases, which is crucial - after some obscene number of miles, I get "free" travel, but I'll take what I can get!

I _strongly_ recommend separate cards for each account (personal vs. business1 vs. business2). Explaining to the IRS, "no really, I just diligently separate these afterwards" seems like a conversation that may fall on def ears.

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2011
    Where can you use the Chase card? Or does it have a MC/Visa logo on it? It seems like a stupid question, but I want to make sure I could actually use it in different places. :-)
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    It's visa based, so practically anywhere. I really like it a lot, The interest rate varies, but I think we are at 12% (ill never pay interest tho) My wife just signed up for the second one, and just got a 5dii with it. We got, 10,000 points for first purchase (100.00), and 2,400 points for the purchase (24.00) points are basically 1%. But when you shop at the mall... here's a few samples now...

well never mind.. lol site is on maintenance till 11am... but when I purchased my other camera, BH had 2points per $ or 49.00 off that same camera above. The 123 Inks had 14PTS per $, and our 100.00 purchase was 1400 points or 14.00 off. But if you do any credit card and shop through their mall double check the actual websites, they have separate varied items, like instead of model number (30212) they will sell you 30212-2 and it is a little bit more to offset the prices. (ive only seen it a few times) or when you checkout, free shipping if visiting the site normally is not with the mall option.
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    The consumer protection act that protects consumer electronic transactions does NOT extend to a business. So business debit cards do not have the same lost/stolen card protections. Both Visa and Mastercard will show a "zero liability" feature on their website, but this is only a bank specific option. My bank does not offer this option, so no business debit card for me. (Especially after I watched the CNBC American Greed episode about the computer hackers stealing card numbers.)