Options

A bit rusty

aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
edited February 14, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Here are two shots of some recently installed public art.

C&C welcome. Thanks for looking!

1185926560_fRpM8-L.jpg

1185931887_TCFfV-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    Good find. Nice composition on the first shot. The second suffers from the chopped " P ". Overall, they're a little bland....they would benefit greatly from an increase in saturation, and a little extra sharpening as well. Rust responds nicely to extra attention in those two areas.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    Interesting art. Increase the saturation and the rust junkies will be droolin' :D

Nice to see rust portrayed as art. One doesn't see that often.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2011
    Overall, they're a little bland....they would benefit greatly from an increase in saturation, and a little extra sharpening as well. Rust responds nicely to extra attention in those two areas.
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Increase the saturation and the rust junkies will be droolin'.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually did increase saturation a little on the first one, and desaturated the second one, so it's good to hear what you think of those treatments. After I posted, I realized I used the "wrong" (i.e. "legacy" and too mild) sharpening tool. 11doh.gif

I'll take another crack at them and repost.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2011
    New versions with different sharpening and increased saturation
    Here's another take on these, with feedback incorporated:

1186199382_cCgcH-L.jpg

1186200659_cXS2w-L.jpg
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    Still no where near 'Rust Junkie' level... :D

Though the first has lots of potential!

thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2011
    Looking better, but I learned one thing about rust. You have to go past your limit of 'pushing it' to get into the 'rust junkie' zone rolleyes1.gif

I really like the 2nd photo with the letters. It's like the rust is just oozing out of them .. kinda gross wording, but I like it thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2011
    The second set is much improved. But, as Don stated, there's still more room to go. You need to understand that the true " Rust Junkie " knows no boundaries when it comes to bumping up a rust shot. Admittedly, we Junkies live in a world of extreme treatment .....which is way overboard for most folks. To each his own, but us Junkies would have you flail at these shots again. You can cry " uncle " at any point and you won't hurt our feelings.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2011
    Warning: HazMat Saturation Levels
    ...as Don stated, there's still more room to go. You need to understand that the true " Rust Junkie " knows no boundaries when it comes to bumping up a rust shot. Admittedly, we Junkies live in a world of extreme treatment .....which is way overboard for most folks. To each his own, but us Junkies would have you flail at these shots again. You can cry " uncle " at any point and you won't hurt our feelings.

Tom

I'm kind of new to the Rust Junkie scene. I guess for me, rust is more of a gateway drug...to feed my real addiction: decontextualized images of random public art!

It's funny, to be honest my first instinct was to desaturate both images, and have them look kind of muted and washed out. But if we're going for broke, I can Bring It. mwink.gif

Rust junkies, I give you:
    Global saturation: +11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Global vibrancy: +11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Color saturation (average-ish rust color selected with eye dropper): +11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1a. Original, out-of-camera version
    1186331143_d5yUu-L.jpg

1b. Extreme! Rust! Junkie! version
    1186332283_GwtJ9-L.jpg

2a. Original, out-of-camera version
    1186282072_vaCXc-L.jpg

2b. Extreme! Rust! Junkie! version
    1186333956_pvab5-L.jpg

Are your eyes bleeding yet?
    (If Aperture's settings went up to 12, I would take it even further. Maybe when Version 4 comes out... rolleyes1.gif)
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,883 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    I like 2. How about cropping the "p" altogether, make it a square shot and bump up saturation and shadows? I think it has great potential clap.gif

OK I think you've done the saturation part well enough but play with it
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2011
    Oh, yes. OH, YES!!! Now were are cooking. Treatments like this will earn you a seat at the Big Table in short order. As I said....we're an extreme bunch and reality is not a part of our normal diet when it comes to rust. Otherwise, we are all a pretty sane group.

Good work.thumb.gif

Tom
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2011
    Square, mellower
    Juano wrote: »
    How about cropping the "p" altogether, make it a square shot and bump up saturation and shadows?

Thanks for the suggestions, Juano.

Here's a shot at that:

1186606324_emUhi-L.jpg

Thanks to all, for coaching me through my first Rust Junkie PP experience. :D
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2011
    Wow .. you have it working now thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Granted it's all a matter of taste. In the end you have to go with what you like the best, but I do like the 2 you redid. The blues really look nice with the rust color.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,883 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    This is great!! You've got the hang of it. clap.gif

I like the square crop, I was thinking more something like this: