Options

any ideas for a cheap way to hang lots of (non-framed) prints on my wall?

JzazziJzazzi Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
edited February 15, 2011 in The Big Picture
Mostly for fun and to keep the inspiration going, I enjoy having my work visible in my home. I make 8" x 12" prints for my portfolio and have lots of them. In the past I ran a piece of cable horizontal across a wall and then used small binder clips to hold the prints. It was super cheap and very easy to change photos. It was also ugly and I don't have that hardware anymore.

I've seen people mount sheet metal to a wall and use magnets. Might be fun, but have you seen any other displays?

Looking for:
-cheap
-simple
-easy to change photos

-J

Comments

• Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    A piece of molding run around the room can be used as a narrow shelf, on which stuff like prints, framed or unframed, can be placed.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 31, 2011
    Jzazzi wrote: »
    ...I've seen people mount sheet metal to a wall and use magnets.

no sheet metal needed... http://www.magnamagic.com/

• Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    I've used these TrapEasy rails for a variety of purposes. They come in different sizes and work great. Very easy to change items on display.

57325-1012-2ww-m.jpg

57325-1012-1-2ww-m.jpg

Here's a link to a vendor I used:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/trapease-display-rail/
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2011
    Wow, I love all three ideas. Magnetic paint? Awesome!

Thanks guys.
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    How about getting your prints mounted on foam board? Fairly cheap, and then you have a variety of mountain options. Velco works very well, but sometimes takes off the paint. I like to use the little claw fasteners right into the foam board, and then some elmers glue on top of that to hold them in. Then you can use nails. :)
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    Poster putty works incredibly well and is dirt cheap.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Magnetic paint, what an idea. Certainly doesn't qualify as chep though. "As little as $1 per sq. ft." A hundred bucks for a 10x10section of wall, and you'd really have to paint a whole wall to keep it from looking bizarre. I'm curious as to the holding power as well, I've got small fridge magnets that kind of hold photos but they let loose fairly often, and they are a hunk of magnet. It seems like particles wouldn't hold up much weight, but I'd love to see it in action.

I was thinking the same thing as Cygnus, poster putty (trade name Blu-Tack) is cheap, holds well, and usually comes off the wall clean. The biggest drawback is it has some mass to it and doesn't let you lay things perfectly flat. You can usually see from the front where the putty is applied in the back. But you can make the putty balls pretty darn small, so unless you're turning your front room into a museum I bet it'll work great for you. Worth a try.
    Jay
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Yes I like the idea too, and will certainly try it. No need for museum quality display, it's just for me.

-J
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    Funny I saw this. I have been meaning to do something similar and just have not had time. But...here is the idea:

Run a cable across the wall - make it like a clothesline except against the wall
    and then use those clothes pins (not sure what they call them) to quickly put a pic up and down. Sure it will "pinch" a bit of the photo...but it is cheap and fast. Hopefully I will get around to doing it.

:)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    VA64SkyhawkVA64Skyhawk Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    Foam board is very useful. You can get a large sheet for a few dollars at your local craft store and a can of spray adhesive. I have COSTCO print up 20x30 ones and then mount them. Folks think they're neat.

Rich
  • Options
    zippozippo Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2011
    I actually painted a fake film strip boarder all around my room, then placed 10x12 prints on with glue ,looks like a film of my life,Laughing.gif
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2011
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I love you guys.

-J

(trying the poster putty)
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    http://www.ashanging.com/ (look for their pocket systems)
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.