Options

#70--Put the needle on the record

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited February 15, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I had an evening out with friends last night. I took my record player and we listened to music for hours. Not only that but my friend found a bag full of records in the trash in the basement of her apt building and gave them to me --IN GOOD CONDITION!!!
We're talking 2 Zepplin albums, 2 Springsteen album, Styx, 3 Genesis!, Stevie Nicks--I mean the list goes on--I scored in total 36 records!

I digress:) The point is I love vinyl (Is that a better title than "put the needle on the record"?)--very memorable night, the kind of memories only records can give you, actually listening to albums from beginning to end, even the songs that never make it to the radio.

c&c please--yes the dust is everywhere! I kept blowing on it and it would settle right back on top--it's a dust magnet.
1186312095_VYfQy-XL-1.jpg

1186328957_UjfSq-XL.jpg

1186317047_fD6S8-XL.jpg

1186362185_kB6LU-XL.jpg

4 shots of the evening because I can't resist (not for the challenge, but just to share that yes I really do love records)
-- check out the Belafonte record, lol.

1185718074_HwexQ-L-1.jpg

oh Mickey you're so fine--the song is burned into my brain now.
1185717454_VmokT-L.jpg

records, friends and wine--perfect evening.
1185722179_DMqSq-L.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    Liz, I love #2.
    And, can you please come to my house and haul all of my records out of my basement?
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    I love #1 - the cross processing gives it the vintage feel.

I have tons of records too. 33's and 45's. You'd have a field day at my house. Framptom Comes Alive - everyone had that! Beatles, Floyd, CSNY, etc.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Liz, I love #2.
    And, can you please come to my house and haul all of my records out of my basement?

I like #2 alsothumb.gif

Kate, don't do it, when we moved from our first house, we had a moving sale and got rid of all of our records, (and we had an awesome collection),
    but I regret it now:cry
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    I'm still buying vinyl. There's something about the ritual of playing vinyl. Great concept Liz.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    HOnestly can't decide which of the three you posted at the beginning that I like the most.....there's something about each that enjoy. As for the pictures of your friends and the story behind it all, that's priceless.

I love the rock and roll, but I have a new found love of Belafonte after watching an old episode of him with the muppets the other day with my kids........
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2011
    Liz, I love #2.

and just where are you located and can I get there by car? :D

#2 is a favorite for me too.
    thank you and again where do you live? :)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    I love #1 - the cross processing gives it the vintage feel.

I have tons of records too. 33's and 45's. You'd have a field day at my house. Framptom Comes Alive - everyone had that! Beatles, Floyd, CSNY, etc.

I have to be honest though I originally like #1 the more I look at it the less I feel it--but i'm glad you do:)

Man Frampton Comes Alive--that was part of the collection she found but she wouldn't part with it:( meanwhile she already has a killer collection!

Ok don't hate me--i don't get Floyd--I know I know--any coolness points I may have had went out the window. My husband has a poster all the bandmembers signed and it hangs in our bedroom, lol, a mini shrine--wish I dug them.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2011
    ic4u wrote: »
    I like #2 alsothumb.gif

Kate, don't do it, when we moved from our first house, we had a moving sale and got rid of all of our records, (and we had an awesome collection),
    but I regret it now:cry

karin--mind your own business woman! Let Kate get rid of them;)

So far #2 is winning I think--i like the processing and the up close shot and the b&w. Still a full two weeks left though so plenty of time to change my mind. Just glad they work! wings.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2011
    Patti wrote: »
    I'm still buying vinyl. There's something about the ritual of playing vinyl. Great concept Liz.

i know you are a music lover and a vinyl lover no less.
    I like the nuances of record playing/listening.
    1. you know which ones are your records by where they skip due to a scratch you accidentally put on them, but no one else can claim it because you know exactly where the record will skip.

2. the scratchy sound--goes without saying.

3. putting a dime on the needlehead when needed.

4. how you buy the record for the one song and the way you listen to the entire album, and fall in love with all the songs.

5. blowing on the needle when dust gathers.

Record playing is a very ritualistic experience. Man have I mentioned I love vinyl:)

I am hoping this is more of an ode to the experience.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    Of the first three, I like #2 also - you can almost "hear" the crackliness of a not quite so clean vinyl record - I think because of the DOF & pp - really cool! Awesome score with the collection too!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2011
    HOnestly can't decide which of the three you posted at the beginning that I like the most.....there's something about each that enjoy. As for the pictures of your friends and the story behind it all, that's priceless.

I love the rock and roll, but I have a new found love of Belafonte after watching an old episode of him with the muppets the other day with my kids........

Thank you so much :D.
    The shots of my friends are priceless to me as well. What a night!
    More priceless by the fact that they are near and dear but will soon be moving to Arizona, so we are on borrowed time with them.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    Of the first three, I like #2 also - you can almost "hear" the crackliness of a not quite so clean vinyl record - I think because of the DOF & pp - really cool! Awesome score with the collection too!

hee hee "the crackliness" exactly! and yes huge score for me. I was pretty giddy all night and my kids are learning an appreciation for records. Last night we listened to the Beach Boys and they went pretty nuts.

Thank you.

#2 looks to be THE one for me then.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    Nice job, Lizzard! I love the B&W pics. I recently moved apartments, and all my vinyl is now in storage (God is that stuff heavy!!!!) The only pic I have at the moment is this one:

876081406_T3HqR-XL.jpg

Thanks for reminding me!!!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    karin--mind your own business woman! Let Kate get rid of them;)

:hide Sorry!rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    i know you are a music lover and a vinyl lover no less.
    I like the nuances of record playing/listening.
    1. you know which ones are your records by where they skip due to a scratch you accidentally put on them, but no one else can claim it because you know exactly where the record will skip.

2. the scratchy sound--goes without saying.

3. putting a dime on the needlehead when needed.

4. how you buy the record for the one song and the way you listen to the entire album, and fall in love with all the songs.

5. blowing on the needle when dust gathers.

Record playing is a very ritualistic experience. Man have I mentioned I love vinyl:)

I am hoping this is more of an ode to the experience.

YES! I have a penny on my stylus. I still always think in terms of side one and side two even though the CD makers put the songs all on one side, and the kids who listen to digital say "what's a side?" They won't know what the phrase "but on the flip side...." means. I love my records. But on the flip side, I love my iPod.
    ps I live in Minnesota if you want to drive over to collect my records : )
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    Ok don't hate me--i don't get Floyd--I know I know--any coolness points I may have had went out the window. My husband has a poster all the bandmembers signed and it hangs in our bedroom, lol, a mini shrine--wish I dug them.

I quit listening to Floyd for a very long time, but went back to it a few years ago. I appreciate them now more than I ever did. Some of those lyrics - how did they know those things at such a young age? As for the music, they sure knew exactly what they were doing. So did Alan Parsons...

As for the shots - I do like #2 (but still favor #1)!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    +1 for #1. Love the color.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    I like a lot of them for different reasons. Cant put a favorite I see one then think of theme instead of just the shot. The one of the friend is a good one.

I do not know if dryer sheets work on vinyl but I do know are good for reducing static on plastics. But then the dust adds to the ambiance relating to records.

I still remembered my friends brother and how anal he was about his records and handling but we would listen for hours trying to figure out what Frank Zappa songs meant when we were 9 years old
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2011
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    Nice job, Lizzard! I love the B&W pics. I recently moved apartments, and all my vinyl is now in storage (God is that stuff heavy!!!!) The only pic I have at the moment is this one:

876081406_T3HqR-XL.jpg

Thanks for reminding me!!!

- Wil

OH man records in storage:( just don't forget them there.
    I only have a small collection but I've seen people with large ones and they do take up quite a bit of room and yes, just an armful alone is incredibly heavy.

I like your shot here Will. I like the tones and your turntable.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2011
    YES! I have a penny on my stylus. I still always think in terms of side one and side two even though the CD makers put the songs all on one side, and the kids who listen to digital say "what's a side?" They won't know what the phrase "but on the flip side...." means. I love my records. But on the flip side, I love my iPod.
    ps I live in Minnesota if you want to drive over to collect my records : )

Minnesota?! lol--might be a bit of a drive.

I do like my ipod too--but I always find myself skipping to the next song and never being satisfied with my selection, I don't have that problem with records headscratch.gif.

My nephew saw my cousin's records a few years ago and he said "that's the biggest cd I've ever seen".
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    I quit listening to Floyd for a very long time, but went back to it a few years ago. I appreciate them now more than I ever did. Some of those lyrics - how did they know those things at such a young age? As for the music, they sure knew exactly what they were doing. So did Alan Parsons...

As for the shots - I do like #2 (but still favor #1)!

thank you for the input on the shots.

Hmmm I may have to read their words lyrics first and then maybe I will learn to appreciate them. It's true for me too that i haven't given them a try in quite a long time.

My husband is always going around telling the kids "How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat". lol--that's about the only line I know.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2011
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    I like a lot of them for different reasons. Cant put a favorite I see one then think of theme instead of just the shot. The one of the friend is a good one.

I do not know if dryer sheets work on vinyl but I do know are good for reducing static on plastics. But then the dust adds to the ambiance relating to records.

I still remembered my friends brother and how anal he was about his records and handling but we would listen for hours trying to figure out what Frank Zappa songs meant when we were 9 years old

You listened to Zappa at 9?eek7.gif
    Now they listen to Justin Bieber.

As for the shots--entering #2 now.
    Thank you for commenting, also I"ve never heard of dryer sheets on records, I'll look into that.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    I like #2, good choice!

Personally, I grew up inheriting my older brother and sisters albums. I was born in 62. My brother was 11 years older, my sister 6 years older. So, it turns out that I knew music that my friends never had heard of. I had everything from Beatles 45's to Steppenwolf and Led Zeppelin. But to show just how twisted I was... my favorite was an inherited album of "Bloodrock" and the favorite song was D.O.A. These days I wonder how I turned out as normal as I am...