Options

Spanking new engagement session

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited February 18, 2011 in Weddings
I busted this out over the weekend. If you saw my blog last week, you know I made an attempt at the "firefall" in Yosemite and was hoping to do something with it and this couple on Saturday. Never thought that 500 other photographers with telescopes for lenses would camp out all all the good spots...

As always, more on my site and I'd love your thoughts!

bec2d0d200a68b55f307d235bd46559e.jpg

f9d8a75197ff8c08453a8dedb0bb10b1.jpg

c161343efdfc452975e8bb38672cc569.jpg

2cdf8cbd9a72d63196b4205f5b25c1df.jpg

5b39903b48c8b331a4076b10ec5417e1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    Really like 3 and 4.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    Lovin it Pat!!! first two have a nice old-schoolish conversion... quite tasty! 4 is simply surreal... is that just a hair light or do you have one from the front also? Almost looks cut and paste... Very nice though, and very very "10". 5 isn't really doing it for me.

Great work as always my friend. thanks for posting.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    I agree! #4 is great.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2011
    Thanks everyone! Matt #4 is actually 5 lights. 3 from behind to round them out and get them evenly rim lit. Then a big octobox camera right and a long through light from the left.

Nah... it was actually just natural light. Lots of snow on the ground to bounce light back at the. When it works it works.
  • Options
    chris5olsonchris5olson Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    im so jealous that you get to shoot with Yosemite as a backdrop. lol
    these are such great shots!
    the bokeh on 4 is nuts!
    In My Bag:
    Canon Rebel XSi. Canon 50mm f/1.4. Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6. Speedlite 430exII
    Coming Soon
    Canon 5DmkII. Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
  • Options
    vivalaveritasvivalaveritas Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2011
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    3 and 4 are also my favorites. 4 is tops!
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    Thanks everyone! Matt #4 is actually 5 lights. 3 from behind to round them out and get them evenly rim lit. Then a big octobox camera right and a long through light from the left.

Nah... it was actually just natural light. Lots of snow on the ground to bounce light back at the. When it works it works.
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl I can just see Pat walking around Yosemite with an 8' octo. Thanks for the laugh and the lesson 10!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    Loooving #4, I'd just give the couple *a little bit* more space.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    Did you see a sea of white lenses??
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    Wow, the lighting is epic in all these. Beautiful set, you captured some great emotion.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2011
    Thanks everyone. Funny thing is, #4 doesn't really do too much for me, but my wife loved it. That's why I love her.

Angie you're right, it could use a bit more breathing room. I think that's what bugs me about the frame - I really don't like how I chopped off his arm. As it is, I'm just glad it has her elbow in it.
    Did you see a sea of white lenses??

Not just white lenses, but every kind of lens. Lots and lots of point & shoots paired with gorillapods. Probably at least 500 photographers in a small area. I had friends up there rock climbing to get shots while others were doing motion controlled time lapses. It's somewhat weird to see so much activity in the forest. I was hoping to get a better shot than I did, but I was too busy shooting an engagement session when I needed to camp out to get the right spot.
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Take pictures of what everyone's NOT shooting and you'll find the best stuff :D

Gotta find stuff that isn't being done 500 times!
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Thanks everyone. Funny thing is, #4 doesn't really do too much for me, but my wife loved it. That's why I love her.

Angie you're right, it could use a bit more breathing room. I think that's what bugs me about the frame - I really don't like how I chopped off his arm. As it is, I'm just glad it has her elbow in it.

Not just white lenses, but every kind of lens. Lots and lots of point & shoots paired with gorillapods. Probably at least 500 photographers in a small area. I had friends up there rock climbing to get shots while others were doing motion controlled time lapses. It's somewhat weird to see so much activity in the forest. I was hoping to get a better shot than I did, but I was too busy shooting an engagement session when I needed to camp out to get the right spot.

I know you might not be inclined to do this, but, I think it would have been fun(ny) if you had the couple sneak into the sea of lenses.. haha!

Anyway, I love 3&5's almost kisses.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Calm Light PhotosCalm Light Photos Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Really love the light on 3 & 4. 4 is definitely amazing, but like Angie said, a little more breathing room for the couple would have been nice.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    I really did shots like 4 where you realize how small you are in compared to the rest of the wonderful outside wonderland.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    LOVE #4!!! Guess I need to move to snow country to shoot that good!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700