Options

Newsflash: f0.0 lens and photography

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,893 moderator
edited August 30, 2005 in Accessories
Yeah, right!

I found this site where this guy claims to have developed a system which provides f0.0 and allows the photography of things "2 seconds into the future".

http://www.mudhaus.com/f00.html

Nevermind that f0.0 is functionally and mathematically impossible.

He has photographs of the supposed procedure:

http://www.mudhaus.com/camera.html

which he claims (left photo) show him injecting "Cesium gas" into the lens. In actuality, it appears he has attached a can of "Dust Off" or similar to the PC connector of a lens. (Most people probably don't know that some lenses have PC connectors on them.)

The copyright of the opening page shows, "© 2001-2012 MUDHAUS". "2012"?

This guy is either joking or disturbed. Anybody know which it is?

ziggy53
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Who knows, but you are correct that f/0.0 is an impossibility. This doesn't stop people from claiming such things though. I remember about seven years back a girl I was dating showed me a brochure for a natural cures and remedies show she was going to attend. One merchant listed tablets whose main active ingredient was tachyons. I forget the suppposed health benefit. But I burst out laughing and told her this guy needs to ditch the snake oil trade show and apply for a Nobel prize in Physics. She didn't get it, and my ridiculing her "natural" remedies didn't help my standings with her any. Oh well. Call me Mr. Rational.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Yeah, but was she hot?mwink.gifrofl
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2005
    Takin' all those "tachyons" I'll bet she was "Electrifying"!
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    Yeah, but was she hot?mwink.gifrofl
    Sigh..... (need I say more?) :D
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Reminds me of the choices of bracelets I see from street vendors: magnetic, copper, aluminum, titanium, white gold... what gives? I guess at this rate carrying a lot of coin change in my pocket is good for my sex life? :D

Now back to the 0.0, true it is not feasable but I guess you can "round down." Stops below 2 would go 1.4, 1.0, .7, .5. .35, .25, .17, .12, .8.... yea I can see how even rounding off would not work. "Rounding off" .8 to zero is an infinite number of stops away!

Does anyone know the maximum f/stop of the human eye?
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Reminds me of the choices of bracelets I see from street vendors: magnetic, copper, aluminum, titanium, white gold... what gives?
    Simple. There are a lot of stupid people out there, willing to believe phony claims, and part with their money in the process. PT Barnum would still be a rich man, even today. This is why we need better science education in school. If you have children in Kansas, leave now.

As per the f-stop of the human eye, I'm not sure but it would be fun to know. Me personally, I'm tired of a fixed focal length eye. I don't want a prime eye, I want a zoom eye! :)
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    This was done as an art project. There's a photo for each day of 2002, and they are quite good. Nobody is selling anything, it's not a scam or a trick. Someone's just being clever and artsy. Or trying to, anyway. My $.02USD.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    As per the f-stop of the human eye, I'm not sure but it would be fun to know. Me personally, I'm tired of a fixed focal length eye. I don't want a prime eye, I want a zoom eye! :)
    As for the eye's focal length, this is interesting.

Magnification-wise we have a 200mm eye. Walk outside and you can resolve the detail that a 200mm lens on a 35m camera would give you.

Perspective-wise we have a 50mm eye, the standard depth expected between objects.

Totality-of-view-wise we have an 8mm eye. We have peripheral vision that extends to 180 degrees on most of us.

No wonder eyes are so expensive.
  • Options
    ashbyashby Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Canon had this little number in the 60's. Based on it's being 4X faster than the human eye, I would guess the eye is about f/1.4.
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2005
    It's true! I have a picture of the lens!
    The new Canon F0.0 L 400mm DO IS!

There might be issues when using the onboard flash though
    Here's a view of it mounted on a 20D...

newcanonlens.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2005
    I guess everything is bigger in Texas!

(I was born in Texas, Lackland AFB. Once a Texan, always a Texan.)

zigy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    RickP66RickP66 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2005
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Takin' all those "tachyons" I'll bet she was "Electrifying"!
    Well, at least she was a fast girl...
    Canon 5D, Canon 17-40 f4L, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8L, Canon 400mm f5.6L, 580EX Flash.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    Simple. There are a lot of stupid people out there, willing to believe phony claims, and part with their money in the process. PT Barnum would still be a rich man, even today. This is why we need better science education in school. If you have children in Kansas, leave now.
    Every few months here the news has a story of someone whom has lost 20k..50k even $100 000 to the nigerian scam.

That alone shows that it must keep going. Can you believe that people think they are seriously chosen at random to recieve this email & that it is true eek7.gif
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    Hooey, hooey, HOOEY!
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The engineer in me can't help but in all politeness say that this is the biggest bunch of hooey I've seen in a while.

I agree that the eqpt photo looks like he's injecting Dust-Off into the lens. I suspect that's exactly how that photo was taken -- it was sooooo convenient that the gas cannister was completely out of focus, wasn't it?

Let's assume for the moment that he actually *DID* inject cesium gas into the lens. According to the BBC article (if that's even on the up-and-up), the beam of light emerged from the Cesium gas about a few billionths of a second before it entered. Well, for the camera setup, even if true, "who cares?". Keep in mind, there's already a built-in time delay of about 1 nanosecond per foot just for the light that makes up the image to travel from the object to the front of the lens, so light from an object 10 feet away already took 10 nanoseconds to reach it.

Notice that he hasn't made sure that he's even using the same type of gas as the British researchers and no measurements have been done to validate that he obtained the same result. Or for that matter, that it would even have the same effect using his set-up (or as the Brits might say, "using his kit").

The scary part is that this guy probably read the BBC article and actually believes that he's taking time-travel photos!! ....Not that that should surprise anyone, because the USA is obviously way under-educated in the sciences ... the stuff that people believe without question just blows me away. PT Barnum would just as correct today (about one being born every minute) as he was during his own lifetime.

The other possibility is that this guy actually knows better, but is taking advantage of the public by using this unproven "science" to create lots of P.R./market buzz about his photos. That's somewhat unethical, but he would know that the police won't exactly be breaking down his door over it, either.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    I thought it was jsut a joke, good humor, I laughed.

James.