Options

Headshots, Take 2

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited February 17, 2011 in People
It took a while for our schedules to mesh again, but I finally managed to reconnect with Alex for part two of his headshot session, this time focusing on character types he wanted to focus on for casting: bad boy and boy next door.

After some fantastic feedback from take 1 in this endeavor, I tried to put it to good use!

1. Hm, this looks a little red to me now...I'll tweak if it makes his cut.
1186708435_UPNhP-XL.jpg

2. Because diva kept yelling at me for not being close enough. :wink
1186709840_9ZX3n-L.jpg

3. Possibly my fave from everything we did today. Meant to be character, but I think this could work for a general headshot. :dunno
1186706708_3AoHz-XL.jpg

4. Clean-shaven and fresh-faced! My runner-up for a main headshot selection (we'll see if he agrees).
1186709541_4zhmb-L.jpg

5. Boy next door but looks like it would work for commercial, too.
1186710732_DRgiK-XL.jpg

C&C always appreciated. Thanks for stopping by! :thumb

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    ooooooooooooooo..... clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Absolutely LOVE 3/4/5. My only reservation is the way the jacket rode up on 5, but it's a great shot and that is SERIOUS nit-picking.

And (now you're going to kill me rolleyes1.gif): do you have enough room to open #2 out? Maybe negative space to one side as well as a bit more forehead? Lovely look from him - very sultry thumb.gif

These are terrific, Kerry - with the last batch you did (especially that one against the green wall), you have given him a GREAT range of looks to choose from. I bet he's absolutely thrilled!

(PS are you using your living room windows in 3/4? I can see you reflected against them in the catchlights!)
  • Options
    codyjbennettcodyjbennett Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    Well done!

I prefer #3 as I enjoy the highlights in the eyes while he is looking up towards the sky. The other highlights appear to be on-camera flash which is a small source, resulting in a very fine point for the highlight. Also, the looking up is a very flattering posture for the subject.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2011
    Thanks, diva! The original of #2 does have more open space to the left, but not above. I have other shots from that part of the shoot that are more open. mwink.gif

Good catch on #5! That's actually his shirt, but I didn't notice the ride-up. I can reduce the bunching in post if he chooses it.

For 3/4, I actually have him sitting just inside my front door, and I'm shooting from outside. I blocked too much light when we tried it with the window. lol3.gif

Cody, thanks for your comments. I did use on-camera flash for a bit of fill since he had "raccoon eyes" without it (I love shooting in overcast conditions except for this issue!). Like you, I prefer the ones with the large catchlights caused by my doorway. nod.gif
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    These are excellent Kerry.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    #3 is spectacular!!
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    They are all excellent, but #3 is the best of the bunch.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    These are great and totally professional. I hope he loves them just as much as we do here on Dgrin ! :D
  • Options
    B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    Great great great photos. Love the shallow DoF
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    Wow. Your fav is also MY fav. This guy is very photogentic...he def. has a model look. I could see him on TV playing a nice guy gone bad. Laughing.gif. But nonetheless you have captured what he wants...a great look! Nice work.
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
  • Options
    briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Great work! 1,3 & 5 are my favorites.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Did you happen to grab his phone number? Is he single?

you're a married woman, you're a married woman, you're a married woman.

I mean, uh... Great shots!! If he doesn't love them, he needs to be konked upside his head.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2011
    Thanks, everyone! He was, as he put it, "overwhelmed" with the shots and very happy. :D

He is single, l.k. lol3.gif And the nicest guy. He's actually a neighbor of mine, so you just need to come visit me sometime! (I won't tell your husband.)

Even better news is he's a fan of my noir-style stuff and is gung-ho to do a classic B&W shoot with me in the future. I'll definitely be posting those here once our schedules manage to sync again. thumb.gif
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Llywellyn wrote: »
    Even better news is he's a fan of my noir-style stuff and is gung-ho to do a classic B&W shoot with me in the future. I'll definitely be posting those here once our schedules manage to sync again. thumb.gif

Oh my goodness I cannot wait to see that. He just SCREAMS hat, vest, cigar and tie.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Awesome photos! Love every single one!! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    handsome guy and some very nice stuff Kerry. #2 was bugging me and I just figured out why..raccoon eyes!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Calm Light PhotosCalm Light Photos Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    These are all fantastic, but wow, #3 is fabulous!! I could look at that face all day! Good job, and good luck choosing!