Options

What are my options?

Sparks FailsSparks Fails Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 21, 2011 in Cameras
I currently "shoot" with a Fujifilm S1800 bridge camera. It's a good little camera, but not a DSLR. Gives you all the manual options, but just isn't the same. I've pretty much grown out of it, and have gotten use to all the settings it has. At this point it just doesn't have the capabilities I want and is holding me back from progressing further.

I have about $400 I could spend on a new camera, preferably a DSLR. I know I wouldn't be able to find anything new, but have no qualms with used. Options?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,864 moderator
    edited February 18, 2011
    A dSLR camera is part of a system that includes the ability to interchange lenses, flashes, etc. Unfortunately, a $400 budget would be difficult to find both a camera and a lens of quality, made recently.

If you can wait until you have at least around $1000 that would allow some options and choice.

The closest to your budget might be an older Pentax or Olympus dSLR with a "kit" lens. In particular you can get an Olympus E-620 with the kit 14-42mm lens in an "E+" condition at Adorama for $450.

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20419115.html

That would make a pretty good entry level camera and Adorama is one of the places I recommend for used equipment.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2011
    I've seen some D40's and D80's(IIRC) that were going for decent prices. Thoughts?

Also, I was told that www.keh.com is a good place to buy a body. They have some bodies really cheap, and then I was recommended a 35mm f1.8 lens that goes for about $200. Judging by the prices, I might be able to put it together for around $400.

Also,
    http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/pho/2213150310.html

Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2011
    I've seen some D40's and D80's(IIRC) that were going for decent prices. Thoughts?

Also, I was told that www.keh.com is a good place to buy a body. They have some bodies really cheap, and then I was recommended a 35mm f1.8 lens that goes for about $200. Judging by the prices, I might be able to put it together for around $400.

That's wonderful that you have done some research. thumb.gifclap KEH is a very good choice for used equipment. I use them quite a bit.

I think that in terms of general image quality the Nikon D40 and the Olympus E-620 will be similar, with a slight edge to the E-620 in high-ISO noise and the E-620 has in-body image stabilization. The E-620 is also still in current production.

Will a prime lens be sufficient for your needs? I do agree that in general terms a 35mm fast prime will give you very high image quality and more DOF control than any kit zoom lens. The kit zoom has the advantage of FOV flexibility.

A D80 for $200 would be pretty beat up unless you can find a private sale, which is possible. Private sale does mean more risk and generally no returns if there is a problem. There are quite a few D100 bodies in the lower $200 range but that's a pretty old body. Still, a lot of people learned with the D100, and even did serious and commercial work with a D100.

Continue in your search and you should be able to find something that matches your needs, but a larger budget really does open a larger world of opportunities and options.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Will a prime lens be sufficient for your needs? I do agree that in general terms a 35mm fast prime will give you very high image quality and more DOF control than any kit zoom lens. The kit zoom has the advantage of FOV flexibility.

To the OP - if you plan to keep your current camera, a DLSR with a fast normal prime will offer vastly superior low light and creative opportunities, and you can still use the Fuji for wider angles and telephoto in good light. That might be a good solution as you learn what focal lengths you prefer and save for another lens later.

Another option is using a camera that supports older manual focus lenses that can be purchased very reasonably (read: 50-100 USD ea). All pentax and a few higher-end nikon DSLRs have that capability. Suggest you take a peek at pentaxforums.com marketplace, you there are a number of 1-3 year old bodies and lenses for sale there at all times. One caveat - if you ever intend to shoot indoor sports, you may want to consider a different system, as the autofocus and available fast telephoto lenses for pentax lag a step or two behind nikon and canon.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the advice so far, its very much appreciated.

One thing, I'm hoping everything that is being suggested is digital? I'm not really interested in film. Wasn't sure if some of these older ones being mentioned were film or not.

Also, I checked on the prices for the E-620 on Keh. Just the body alone is $549.00. The E-520 is $200 for the body though. Older model?

Sorry for all the questions, I generally try to do my own research.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the advice so far, its very much appreciated.

One thing, I'm hoping everything that is being suggested is digital? I'm not really interested in film. Wasn't sure if some of these older ones being mentioned were film or not.

Also, I checked on the prices for the E-620 on Keh. Just the body alone is $549.00. The E-520 is $200 for the body though. Older model?

Sorry for all the questions, I generally try to do my own research.

Yes, the E-520 us an older model. I think you would like the E-620 better.

Please try the following link for a used E-620 and kit zoom:

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20419115.html
    ziggy53
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    Yes, all these mentioned are digital :)
    //Leah
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    You could get a film camera free if you looked around a little, ha!
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    The 20D often goes for a little over $200, that and a 28-105 USM would be about $400.
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    I can only speak to Canon as that is where my experience is. The 20D option sounds good or you can get a newer Rebel. People sometimes give the Rebel a hard time but I started in the DSLR world with a Rebel XTi and a 50 1.8 (plastic fantastic). I still have them and use them now and then when I don't want to put my newer stuff in harms way. Takes great photos.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    Rebels are fine, but I held a 20D and a Rebel XTi and just could not stand the XTi's small uncomfortable grip. Maybe the newer ones are better, but I'd go for a 20D over a T1i any day.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2011
    Adorama also has the E-620 refurbished with the kit lens for $420USD:

http://www.adorama.com/IOME620KR.html
    ziggy53