Options

Pentax W90, What say the brain trust?

geodegeode Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited February 25, 2011 in Cameras
So it's time to add an all weather P&S to the tankbag of the motorcycle. I'm pondering getting a Pentax W90.

The current tankbag cameras are an HP 735 3.2 mp, and a G11. Obviously there's a huge difference between those two.

I ride in scavenger hunts on the bike, which are 24 hour events, and don't get called off due to rain / fog. So the all-weather functionality is important as is the ruggedness due to being hurridly stuffed into the tankbag.

My one real concern is all the all-weather cameras seem to suffer in low light performance compared to more advanced cameras. But I can't believe it is worse than the HP is. Since the hunts last 24 hours, some of the pics taken are obviously in the wee hours when sunlight isn't available.

The Pentax uses the same SD card that the HP uses, so if the battery dies I can switch the card over to the HP and keep going. Switching cameras is allowed during an event, switching memory cards is NOT allowed. That means the older Olympus Stylus cameras aren't a good option as they take the wrong card.

Has anyone had any real life experience with a W90?

I've already missed a couple of good deals on this camera, so it's time to snag one if I'm going to.

Thanx.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,910 moderator
    edited February 22, 2011
    I know that you're looking for people with experience with the Pentax Optio W90 but I suggest looking at the DPReview of last years rugged/waterproof cameras for a hint.

Basically the Pentax W60 did pretty well but when they tested the higher resolution W80 things got worse and the image degraded.

The camera that held up well with both low light/high-ISO and flash usage was the Canon PowerShot D10. Since the D10 also uses SD and SDHC cards, that would seem to be the current winner for your needs.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/page17.asp
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I know that you're looking for people with experience with the Pentax Optio W90 but I suggest looking at the DPReview of last years rugged/waterproof cameras for a hint.

Basically the Pentax W60 did pretty well but when they tested the higher resolution W80 things got worse and the image degraded.

Yup, I've looked at lots of reviews online. The reviews from the "serious side" of cameras all comment on the noise and image degradation of low-light pics. And they say all the all-weather cameras have that issue regardless of price-point.

The outdoor enthusiast reviews don't seem to think the image degrade is all "that bad" ...

Makes me think of pushing Tri-X to 1600 and then water bath processing with the D-76. I can live with that for the late night rally pics in swap for getting the all-weather durability.

Thanx for the reply. I actually didn't think anyone would post, but figured it was silly not to at least ask.

wave.gif
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    When I went looking for a tough camera price point was the primary consideration for me. I originally did look for the Canon offering but failing to find one I decided to go cheap. After all this was going to be a handy, easy to carry camera for snapshots. I have the DSLR for real photos.

I ended up with a Fuji Finepix X10, and am very happy with it. I don't have too many pictures to show since they are mostly just the odd family snap. I do have recent pictures from the modifications I did to my Vivitar flashes as examples though.
    Many of the pictures in the gallery are done without flash on my workbench. In macro mode and using the bench itself to help steady the camera. Other than notes on the pictures they are straight from camera as well.

Sorry can't comment on the camera you are talking about, but I can share about it's competition.

http://tag-photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Flash-mod/

Fuji example without flash. ISO 400 1/20ss
    1171643198_KC7Sm-M.jpg

Fuji example with flash. ISO 800 1/60ss
    1171643312_3BgTs-M.jpg

Also I think my parents have a W90. I will see if I can't get impressions from my mother about it and maybe get some examples from that camera when I see them next weekend.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2011
    Cool ... Thanx.

I also have been looking at the Olympus Tough Stylus 6020. Price wise it is a better deal with the extra battery and memory card they toss in vs the W90. Specs are quite similiar otherwise.

Since these are all P&S cameras, and relatively low-budget one's at that, I have this feeling they all will perform about the same in my application. I do like the W90 going to DIN 6400 even though I know the noise will be greatly enhanced at that level.

But if I'm on some back road at 0200 trying to get a pic of a roadside marker for bonus points I just need the image to be usable when viewed at the scoring computer. Not looking to have prize worthy images from this camera.
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been looking for a ruggadized camera who rides...

I bought memory foam for my recon 19 tank bag to hold the D90. :D

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    The w90 doesn't have the best IQ of all the cameras but is on par with the market... I did hours of research on all of that at one point because I was interested in it but then I decided not to go that route in the end... from what I remember Panasonics tough cameras had the best balance of features/durability/IQ, but this was like 8 months ago.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2011
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been looking for a ruggadized camera who rides...

I bought memory foam for my recon 19 tank bag to hold the D90. :D

A number of the ADV gang hang out here too. So the whole issue of carrying delicate cameras or computers on bikes is a common issue for a bunch of us.

For scavenger hunt stuff, I can't afford the amount of time it takes to pull out a DSLR and then restow it properly at each bonus location. Over the course of a 24 hour event that would likely cost me a total 40 minutes.

eek7.gif
    The w90 doesn't have the best IQ of all the cameras but is on par with the market... I did hours of research on all of that at one point because I was interested in it but then I decided not to go that route in the end... from what I remember Panasonics tough cameras had the best balance of features/durability/IQ, but this was like 8 months ago.

Yup, the Panasonics get good reviews for image quality, usually scoring a tick above the other cameras at the same price point. But only the W90 has 6400 DIN as an option.

As a package cost with spare battery and SD card the Olympus is a much better deal.

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 22, 2011
    Yo geode!

I've had the original Pentax WP for years now, and you know what? For grabbing shots on a fast ride it still does a heck of a decent job.

Ziggy's suggestion: D10 Canon, yup, it's great, but too big for our riding pockets. That jellybean shape is just weird.

Olympus: I flyfish and iceclimb with a guy who brings his newer Oly weatherproof. My older WP still does a better job. Again, still nothing special, but it does the trick. Also, his Oly has leaked once, my WP, still dry.

None of the little waterproof weenies will do well in poor light, but give it something to work with, and you're good. thumb.gif

88058486_3KmKv-M-1.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 22, 2011
    SVR > ADV, just saying :D

• Options
    edited February 22, 2011
    DoctorIt wrote: »
    Yo geode!

I've had the original Pentax WP for years now, and you know what? For grabbing shots on a fast ride it still does a heck of a decent job.

Ziggy's suggestion: D10 Canon, yup, it's great, but too big for our riding pockets. That jellybean shape is just weird.

Olympus: I flyfish and iceclimb with a guy who brings his newer Oly weatherproof. My older WP still does a better job. Again, still nothing special, but it does the trick. Also, his Oly has leaked once, my WP, still dry.

None of the little waterproof weenies will do well in poor light, but give it something to work with, and you're good. thumb.gif

Yo ... Doc!!!

You back stateside?

With my silly antique HP 735 3.2 mp and all the driving lights lit up I've managed to always get the bonus shot at 0200, so I figure any of these new widgets will do a decent job for rally use.

Good to hear your WP is holding up. I like the longer shape of it for ease of holding on when wearing gloves.

I'm guessing by midnight I'll have hit the submit button on an order someplace.

wave.gif
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2011
    SVR > ADV, just saying :D

Given that Baldy created and owns both DGrin and ADV ... I might have to disagree with you.

deal.gif

:D
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2011
    geode wrote: »
    Given that Baldy created and owns both DGrin and ADV ... I might have to disagree with you.

deal.gif

lol. I'll give you that. I like my forums being owned by an actual person and not a forum purchaser like whoever it is that bought SVR :(

But can we agree that the SV is the greatest bike of all time?

• Options
    edited February 22, 2011
    lol. I'll give you that. I like my forums being owned by an actual person and not a forum purchaser like whoever it is that bought SVR :(

But can we agree that the SV is the greatest bike of all time?

Nope, we're not going to agree on what is the best bike ... I have 4 different bikes right now, so which of mine is the bestest? It's like picking which girlfriend is best.

I have two German girlfriends (1100 GS and 1150 GS), a Japanese girlfriend (project bike / track day bike) and my gorgeous sexy Spanish girlfriend.

wings.gif

1080906703_ZDGdi-S.jpg

How can your SV match up to any of those?

ne_nau.gif

• Options
    edited February 22, 2011
    Agree to disagree. lol :D

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 23, 2011
    Yo ... Doc!!!

You back stateside?
    Yep, only for about two years now lol3.gif

Good to hear your WP is holding up. I like the longer shape of it for ease of holding on when wearing gloves.
    I forgot to mention that as well, the shape fits in the hands and pocket much better than the more square offerings of Oly, etc.

When you hit that order button, make sure you post up your impressions and review thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    Took the plunge ... W90 ordered in the wee hours today. Also snagged a spare battery.
  • Options
    FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    Took the plunge ... W90 ordered in the wee hours today. Also snagged a spare battery.

w00T thumb.gif

looking forward to the pics, geode
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2011
    DoctorIt wrote: »
    I forgot to mention that as well, the shape fits in the hands and pocket much better than the more square offerings of Oly, etc.

When you hit that order button, make sure you post up your impressions and review thumb.gif

It arrived today.

First impression on opening the box ... Yowzers it is small. Can't believe the reviewers were saying it is large. This is by far the smallest camera I've ever owned.

Battery is charging. Screen protectors haven't arrived yet so I'll be treating it extra gently until they do.

More later after I get to really play with it.

Oh, and my other impression, I WILL NOT attach the cute carrabiner strap. It looks like the strap length is just perfect for the carabiner to line up with the screen and scratch it all to heck.

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,910 moderator
    edited February 25, 2011
    Congratulations on the new camera. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums