Options

Tripod on a budget?

Daddy0Daddy0 Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
edited March 7, 2011 in Accessories
Without breaking the bank, what tripod and head would you guys recommend? I want the ability to move the camera from landscape to portrait quickly and would like a level if possible. I have a D90 and the largest glass so far is a Sigma 70-200. I would use this predominately outdoors for sports, nature, landscape, etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Jimmie D.
www.focusedonyourmemories.com

What you see depends on what you're looking for.

Comments

• Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    What's your budget? To easily change between portrait and landscape orientation on the tripod you'll likely want an L-plate. Here are a few popular options for your D90

Kirk:
    http://www.kirkphoto.com/L-Bracket_for_Nikon_D90.html

Really Right Stuff:
    http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BD90-L&type=0&eq=&desc=BD90-L:-L-Plate-for-D80-%26-D90-w/out-grip

Neither are "cheap", but very much worth it. The choice of head and tripod legs will largely depend on your budget and what factors matter most (stability, portability, height, etc).
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    For the Sigma 70-200, that should have a tripod collar that will mount to the head allowing easy rotation and proper balance without hanging too much weight off the lens mount, so you won't need the L-plate if that is the only lens you use. However, for shorter lenses w/o a collar, the L-plate is awesome. I have a Kirk L-plate for my D300 and love it.

I don't know what you mean by "breaking the bank," but my setup was around $600. All from B&H, I got Giotto's aluminum legs for about $200 (I forget the model number off the top of my head), a Kirk BH-3 for $250-ish, and the L-plate was around $140, IIRC. I did all the math you're probably doing and figured that I'll never likely have anywhere near the load capacity of the BH-3. To get anywhere near eye level, I needed the extra height of the Giottos legs as I'm 6'5". If you don't have a too-much-height issue, you may find better legs for you elsewhere. Giottos and the high-end Gitzo were about the only legs I found that were tall enough without needing the center column extended. My legs do have a center column that can be inverted and/or attached in just about any position for things like macro shooting, etc. For normal shooting I leave it in the full-down position. And as much as I'd love to have Gitzo CF legs and RRS head, as a hobbyist I couldn't justify that. I'm very happy with my tripod/head. It doesn't get down quite as low as some of the pricier ones, but it does have a stub center column so you can get down fairly low. I've inverted the column and mounted my camera millimeters off the floor hanging down below the platform, so it's possible to get really low shots.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the sturdiness, the quality, everything. Here it is with my budding little photog standing behind it (so the legs aren't extended at all).

20101003-_DSC5629.jpg
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    Daddy0 wrote: »
    Without breaking the bank, what tripod and head would you guys recommend? I want the ability to move the camera from landscape to portrait quickly and would like a level if possible. I have a D90 and the largest glass so far is a Sigma 70-200. I would use this predominately outdoors for sports, nature, landscape, etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

One of the Mid range Giottos ($$125-190) and a Manfrotto #22RC2 grip ball head.......the way the legs work and the center column oif the Giottos can be pulled out of the center and easily put into various angles it is great for nature and also macro work.....My Giottos MT9180 tripod (no longer made), has done great for weddings, studio portraits, landscape, macro, wildlife....it has traveled a lot and has not failed me in any way.....It has held all my cameras and lenses from my PS to my Medium format and long lenses without a prob.

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    DaddyO, I have an inexpensive Manfrotto legs/ head for sale..
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    EASTERLAKEEASTERLAKE Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2011
    If you are in no major hurry, I would seriously consider used. I keep all of my equipment in excellent condition, however when it comes to a tripod and head i'm not to worried about a scuff here and there. My monfrotto setup is over $400 new and I got the base on cl for $60 and the head for $45 on ebay. Quality stuff that should last me a while and it didn't break me. That's if you have the time
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2011
    Do yourself a long-term favor, and crack open the bank juuust a little for a tripod. Trust me on this one. If you don't spend enough now, you'll just end up spending more than double in the long run. Or triple. :-(

I'd say that at a bare minimum, some of the "knock off" brands are doing decently these days in the $200-300 range when you add the cost of a head. Giottos used to be junk, but they're doing okay now. Induro is a pretty good knock-off of Gitzo, but definitely still needs to be handled gently for it to love longer than a year or two.

The two tried-and-true brands are of course Gitzo and Manfrotto. Manfrotto I'm guessing is your only option since you're worried about the bank, and Gitzos are just ridiculously expensive. The good news is, unless you're a backpacker / mountaineer, you probably won't need a Gitzo.

Bottom line - spend $300-$400 at least, and read a lot of reviews before buying.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Daddy0Daddy0 Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Thanks for the info and advice. I have bought a Manfrotto head and legs from a fellow DGrinner that should serve me well for years to come.

Thanks again,
    Jimmie D.
    www.focusedonyourmemories.com

What you see depends on what you're looking for.