Options

Florida shooting 3/2011

jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
edited February 27, 2011 in Wildlife
After 5 years of trying I'm finally going to be able to make a Florida photography trip. :clap
I'm looking to be around Melbourne the 3rd week of March.

Any suggestions where to stay (or more importantly where not to) and where to shoot? I'm planning on stopping by Viera and maybe Merritt Island.

Anyone else going to be making a photo trip to Florida this March? Any of the local dgrinners want to meet up?

J

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    Hey Jeff,

Since you will be in my neck of the woods I'll be glad to hook up with you. As for places to shoot in that area the Viera Wetlands would be the best location. We have had a drought in the area and the vegetation up on Merritt Island NWR did not grow. Hence it did not attract the migrating birds and the shooting has not been very good so far.

March is the beginning of the rookery season down here so the rookeries up in St Augustine and Orlando should be very active. The Circle B bar Reserve in Lakeland has been reported to have very good activity. Other possibilities would be the Orlando Wetlands in Christmas, FL and Sebastian Inlet.

As for places to stay that would vary with your budget. There are three (la Quinta, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn) right off of exit 191 of US 95 that are a few minutes from the Viera Wetlands.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    Schweet! My budget is pretty modest and I'm rollin solo so low maintenance is ok. Is there any place I should specifically avoid? I'm seeing some super cheap hotels by Melbourne and would like to avoid any sketchy parts of town if they exist...
  • Options
    IraRunyanIraRunyan Registered Users Posts: 1,013 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    Schweet! Is there any place I should specifically avoid? I'm seeing some super cheap hotels by Melbourne and would like to avoid any sketchy parts of town if they exist...

I think you will be happy to learn that this is not NYC, and as a result we don't have many "Sketchy parts of town". wings.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    IraRunyan wrote: »
    I think you will be happy to learn that this is not NYC, and as a result we don't have many "Sketchy parts of town". wings.gif

You haven't stopped by Palm Bay recently
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    NaturePicsNaturePics Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    My wife and I are driving across the country from California this spring and will coming across the Florida panhandle to Jacksonville, FL. around April 1. We expect to continue up the Atlantic coast rather than driving very far south in Florida. St. The Viera Wetlands is a bit out of our way but it would be a manageable detour. The pictures you guys have posted are a powerful argument for visiting the Viera wetlands.

Jacksonville, st. Augustine and Okefenokee Swamp are along our route.

Any suggestions for good wildlife / wildflower viewing and photographing would be appreciated.

Bill