Options

Two Days With the Sheep 02/11-12/11

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited February 24, 2011 in Journeys
So John and I went back out sheep hunting, hunting with our lenses anyway and it was quite the day for it. Windy, snowy, cold and visibilty was slim. Driving down the highway we looked up the cliffs and found a few sheep eating away. So we drove further on and headed up the hill to try and get on a high ridge point above the sheep. Walking through the woods was nice because it gave us the opportunity to be out of the wind. As we neared a highpoint we decided it was a good time to take our cameras out.

John and Shasta getting ready.
1185615878_HFAez-XL.jpg

We hiked up a while and found a few sheep high above us. To make a long story short here John went up and got lots of great photos while we sort of kept them occupied on us. Then we walked around the mountain and met back up at a different area. As we were walking around we walked right into a few more! Can you see the Sheep in the photo?

1185616184_UPWRk-XL.jpg

Sometimes to photography Dall Sheep you have to become sheep!
1185616384_JCquE-XL.jpg

At this point Shasta and Tracy headed back so Shasta could get to work and I decided to sneak up on a group. I don't think they see me....
1185621772_934Jf-XL.jpg

I very stealthly walked around boulders and trees and popped my head over where they should be and.......nothing. They were gone. It was a bit sad since it took me quite a while to sneak up on them! So I decided to walk another 20 feet and look over a little cliff and at my feet I saw...

1185625675_WX6eb-XL.jpg

Any closer and I could have gone for a ride!
1185632613_V5r3j-XL.jpg

They continued along their way not caring much for me.
1185637216_XEhky-XL.jpg

We went on our way as well to head back to the car. It was getting a bit cold and we had followed them enough.
1185636454_p3pHu-XL.jpg

The next day was beautiful! The weather decided to turn blue and I went green with envy for all those outside. Then I decided I didn't like being envious and I packed my gear to go pull some bolts along the Seward Highway. I found the cliff I wanted to work on and walked around it for a bit looking for the possibilities and just wasn't feeling it. The wind was kicking up and the temperatures were dropping, it was probably about 5 degrees at the most. So I decided to drive somewhere with some trees. As I was leaving I looked above the cliff and there were a bunch of Rams! I was wondering where all the rams were as we had only seen the ewes and babies the day before. Well here they were and I wasn't going to miss my opportunity. I grabbed my camera and dove into the trees. Everything about the day was filled with beauty from the trees, to the sky, to the unnatural wonders.
1185637606_THrdY-XL.jpg

This time I was able to get above the sheep and came up right in a good spot for the first ram.
1185659297_qq5uG-XL.jpg

Although this one really didn't seem happy to see me!
1185641043_es9fM-XL.jpg

He kept munching his way through the berries and bushes and stayed in a circle away from me.
1185638915_iNCjW-XL.jpg

Finally him and his buddy got together above me. I backtracked and spent the next 35 minutes bushwhacking to get above them and when I finally came out I was right next to them!

1185643346_2f6PA-XL.jpg

Now I noticed they don't mind being above you so they ran up to a higher point.
1185646319_u8wNV-XL.jpg

1185644178_tvvqL-XL.jpg

They are very powerful and amazing climbers.
1185650287_fHyYp-XL.jpg

1185653216_r6AG6-XL.jpg

and their house has the best view!
1185653750_5vrw9-XL.jpg

And I think he knows it.
1185655670_dACcM-XL.jpg

Bit of a crop for the last photo. I love Alaska.
1185651750_nBRCF-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    Nice shots!
  • Options
    BmanBman Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 13, 2011
    The title lead me to believe you were on a ranch in New Zealand. Lol. Nice healthy male you captured. Well captured.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    Alright I'll throw mine in here too. I figured with all that sun on Saturday you must have been having fun out there, but it was definitely a bit colder!

I'll start mine out on the pavement. This is one of Alaska's many roadside attractions.
    1185363259_HABVp-L.jpg

Then began the long and sneaky crawl to the top of the ridge. After first sighting the sheep, I split from the group and crawled through some steep brush following sheep trails until I reached the ridgeline. Periodically, a sheep would peer over the ridge, letting me know they knew something was coming, if not exactly what. It's hard to be quiet in frozen bushes, but I did my best as I gradually got closer, and finally broke out of the shrubbery and onto the rocky ridge. At this point I ditched my backpack and crept slowly higher, being certain to make as little noise as possible. Tension built as I reached the last rocky prominence before I felt I should have a view of the goal. I paused for a moment, and glanced to my left...

1185363686_fzVk7-L.jpg

Doh!!! rolleyes1.gif

A bit of maneuvering got me above a small group of ewes and lambs, where I snagged a few shots as they moved away from the leering paparazzi above them.
    1185365036_sibN3-L.jpg

Instead of disappearing over the next ridge as is typical, however, they paused and looked back, and simply stood there. At length I gave up on the shot I wanted - the group skylined on a ridge - and headed back to the small tree where I stashed my camera gear. No need to worry about theft, I found, one of the lambs stuck around to keep an eye on things for me.
    1185365512_TBfLe-L.jpg

As I found the little guy, so did the rest of the group, having returned to keep track of their missing member.
    1185366846_BRDhX-L.jpg

And then they obligingly lined up for the shots I had in mind. :D
    1185369141_t2g7Z-L.jpg

1185369840_Ff98J-L.jpg

1185369835_wFXBW-L.jpg

I moved in closer as they settled down, evidently less concerned about the stranger with the camera. 1185370595_N75ch-L.jpg

And this time they let me get within about fifteen meters before they let me know what they thought of me. rolleyes1.gif
    1185370570_ZKFke-L.jpg

Following them around the ridge again, I finally spotted and rendezvoused with Kelsey again, and as the girls wandered back to the road, we kept an eye on the sheep.
    1185371402_oAj3L-L.jpg

And for a final shot, here's Kelsey sneaking his way closer to the group behind a small jutting piece of rock. Somehow they still know he's there though. The one in view is just leaving, and from my vantage point I watched Kelsey continue his careful sneaking for another several minutes before he figured that out. :D
    1185372428_SitsE-L.jpg

Hope you all enjoy! Sorry for the yellowness, things looked a whole lot more properly color balanced while I was editing! ne_nau.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    Those are amazing captures.

I believe what intrigues me the most is the focal length of 135mm indicating you aren't all that far from these animals in the first place.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Those are amazing captures.

I believe what intrigues me the most is the focal length of 135mm indicating you aren't all that far from these animals in the first place.

We can't afford nice glass, so we have to substitute sneakiness. rolleyes1.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    Great images and great stories. Thanks for posting them and allowing us to be there vicariously through your images.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    coldclimb wrote: »
    We can't afford nice glass, so we have to substitute sneakiness. rolleyes1.gif

That right there is classic signature line material. thumb.gif

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 15, 2011
    Wow. Awesome scenery and adventure. Two thumbs up! thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    looks like you put in a lot of effort to take these pix and i'm sure you're very happy that they turned out SO GOOD! great job.