Options

First time to Grand Canyon.....help!

CanonFanCanonFan Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
edited February 25, 2011 in Location, Location, Location!
I'm wanting to get to the GC but haven't started my homework on it, yet. Can anyone suggest a place to stay, and best time of year to go? I want to go before the heat gets bad; I'm not a fan of Summer heat. How long does the possible snow season last? Thanks for any advice.
Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 8, 2011
    Grand Canyon National Park average high in the hottest month of the year is only 77F. That is to say, don't worry about the heat, unless you plan on hiking to the bottom of the canyon.

As far as where to stay, you can stay right in the park, or just outside of the park. The park's official home page lists all those places. Personally, I'd stay right in the park, but you should choose whatever fits your budget. http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/lodging.htm
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2011
    I'm now looking at the North Rim , for June 1 ........we'll see......
    Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC
  • Options
    oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    Of the two rims I much prefer the North. Cooler temps (usually) and far fewer people. The first of June (as evidenced by the crowds) is a really nice time of year in the west. Most of the snow in the highest elevations is gone and the summer evening thunderstorms haven't arrived yet.

If you are feeling a little adventurous, consider making a trip to the Toroweap area of the north rim. It's about 60 miles of dirt road one-way but you will have even fewer people and some unique shots. http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/tuweep.htm
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2011
    Thanks for the tips!!
    Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    Depending on your schedule it is a short hop from north rim to the slot canyons or Moab also. The rim is about 8,000 ft. elev. so bring sunscreen and a hat.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    North Rim... As mentioned.. Not too far from Page, AZ and the slot canyons as well.. Plus the horse shoe bend in the CO.. Monument Valley.. The list goes on. I much prefer the North Rim. If you are REALLY in shape and want some punishment, you could hike across the canyon floor to the south rim, then back again. When I was there in October, met a couple people that did it the same day, which I think is like a 28 mile round trip! NUTS!
  • Options
    HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    North Rim is my fav. I the vista are expansive Lots of lodging right in the park at the rim. MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS now! I've stay in the small cabins and the larger one by the rim. If you can get one facing the Rim just right of the lodge, it would be worth it. They will sell out.

If driving in from the east you'll cross the Lee's Ferry bridge on approach to the GC as you cross the Colorado river. Stop and look under the bridge to spot condors. I've been told they like to perch under it on the trusses; never been fortunate to catch them myself. While your there take the time to drive down the road to Lee's Ferry. Interesting views and scenery. It's also as close to the river as you can get if you don't hike the canyon.

Dave
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    984347509_on8aN-XL.jpg

We spent a half day there this summer (too short, too short). We arrived very early and stayed until lunch time, which is plenty of time with three kids if all you're doing is looking over the edge (read: not exploring). Obviously, it blew my mind. I want to go back and really experience it with some sweat and an eye for detail. Have fun!

984972634_ueSAD-M.jpg
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 23, 2011
    Of course if you really want an adventure, you can drive 70 miles down a dirt road from Fredonia to Toroweap and have the place all to yourself.

Toroweap Sunrise
    596132353_bx9Tg-XL-2.jpg
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    CanonFan wrote: »
    I'm now looking at the North Rim , for June 1 ........we'll see......

How long is your trip and where are you flying in and out of?

Lots of areas that can be reached from the North Rim depending on how much time you have and what you want to see.

From the North Rim
    Page is 5 hours = Horseshoe Bend, Lake Powell, Antelope Slot Canyons
    Zion National Park is 4 hours
    Coral Pink Sand Dunes is between North Rim and Zion National Park
    Bryce Canyon is 5 hours

North Rim to South Rim = 7 hours
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion