Options

Tamron AF 28 -200 LD will work with Nikon 3100 ?

uvehonuvehon Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited March 2, 2011 in Cameras
I have my old N70 35mm Nikon with a nice lens Tamron AF 28 -200 LD so I was thinking to buy a Nikon 3100 but I'm not sure if this will be working properly...??!! things like auto focus and other things.
Please help
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited February 26, 2011
    I believe that lens has only been offered in Nikon AF and AF-D mount, meaning that it requires a host Nikon camera with the Nikon screw-drive AF motor in order to autofocus. Additionally, if you have one of the very oldest versions I doubt that it has the "distance" chip, so that flash exposures will not be as well calculated and will have to rely on TTL flash rather than the newer i-TTL that newer lenses enjoy.

While the Tamron 28-200mm zoom lenses are a very convenient focal length, they are not known for exemplary image quality.

If the lens has an AI mount at least it should mount without damage on newer Nikon digital cameras. It would be good if you could show this to an experienced Nikon shooter to verify the AI mount first however.

In short, no, I don't believe that the lens would provide AF on the Nikon D3100 camera. I believe that you would need at least a Nikon D90 (in current cameras) or a used D70/D70s/D80/D50, or higher camera, in order to provide AF. Again, have the lens checked to make sure that it is at least an "AI" mount before trying it on any modern Nikon camera to avoid damage to the host camera.

You can confirm the AI mount yourself by referring to this page:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-153.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    Tamron AF 28 -200 LD will it work with Nikon 3100 ?
    I have my older N70 35mm Nikon with a nice lens Tamron AF 28 -200 LD so I was thinking to buy a Nikon D3100 but I'm not sure if this will be working properly...??!! things like auto focus and other things. I uploaded pictures here...
    Please help with details if possible
    Thank you
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    Thanks for providing the images. I do believe that is a fairly recent version of the lens and on a Nikon D3100 you will have automated metering and automated exposure. The D3100 lacks an AF screw drive motor so the lens will not AF on the D3100 camera body.

The least expensive bodies, still selling new, that support the AF screw drive are the Nikon D90 and D7000. Previous older bodies with the screw drive AF include D70/D70s/D80/D50/D200/D300 as well as the FF bodies.

Do remember that only the FF bodies will retain the same field-of-view (FOV) to which you are accustomed on the N70 body. The D3100 and D90, for example, are a smaller imager and it will appear that the FOV will be more like a 42-300mm lens. In other words, the lens will not seem to be as wide at the short end and that may cause you issues with indoor situations, etc.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    Thank so much for details... it looks like better to get a new camera and new lenses.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    uvehon wrote: »
    Thank so much for details... it looks like better to get a new camera and new lenses.

In most ways, that's true. If you stay with AF-S (or AF-I) lenses with the built-in AF motor they will fit any Nikon dSLR and provide AF as well as automated exposure.

The more advanced Nikon dSLRs also provide other tangible benefits so look at all features before diving in.

The D7000 is a pretty amazing camera in its price point and does many things extremely well including very high ISOs. Imagine ISO 3200 about as smooth as you currently shoot ISO 200 in film?

We live in very interesting times, photographically speaking.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    What's the deal with the 2 threads, one was moved?
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    What's the deal with the 2 threads, one was moved?

I merged the 2 threads. No biggee.
    ziggy53