Options

Crashing a bridal show tomorrow, got advice?

happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
edited February 27, 2011 in Weddings
I am a lucky photographer, in that I have family that is also in the wedding business. My sister does cakes, has been doing it longer than I have been shooting weddings. She's done several bridal shows, I have not yet, though I do have one booked.

So, tomorrow, I am going with her to "assist" with her booth. I am planning to help her get set up, but walk around, check out other booths, meet with other vendors, etc.

I am TERRIBLE at networking. Just awful at it.

So I am looking for tips and advice in that area, and other than scoping out booths for ideas for my own, what other things should I be doing or saying?

Comments

• Options
    vivalaveritasvivalaveritas Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    You're going to be surrounded by photographers and potential clients. I would say just watch the interaction between the two. Keep an eye out for the handful of very successful photographers in your area and watch how they handle potential clients. This should give you some idea on how to handle your own potential client base.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    What a fun opportunity! Don't be afraid to chat with the other photographers. But at the same time, don't expect them to give you too much time. Building familiarity in the local photography community has its value, so introduce yourself... hand out a biz card and say "hi, I am happy smiley" and be confident and friendly. I catch other photographers sneaking into my booth (undercover) to scope my biz cards, albums and handouts all the time, and it always cracks me up. Just introduce yourself and I'll be happy to give you whatever info or cards you want! haha. And don't be intimidated. Everybody all started somewhere, and chances are they were where you are at one point.
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    I catch other photographers sneaking into my booth (undercover) to scope my biz cards, albums and handouts all the time, and it always cracks me up. Just introduce yourself and I'll be happy to give you whatever info or cards you want! haha.

I can totally imagine you going, "Freeze, Sucka!" rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    Hahaha, Yep. You know it!