Natural light portrait

WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
edited June 21, 2004 in People
This is my daughter. Photo made with natural light thru window on her left. Probably should've used a reflector to open up the other side of her face, but, I kinda like it the way it is.

Comments

• michael972michael972 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2004
    Hi

Surprised no one has commented. Very well done is all I can say. I have not had nearly as much success using window light.

Mike
  • AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2004
    Wolf wrote:
    Photo made with natural light thru window on her left. Probably should've used a reflector to open up the other side of her face, but,

Wolf... Nice photo. As for the reflector... I'm glad you didn't use it. I myself would have let the image darken even a bit more on her left side... Very nice.

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    michael972 wrote:
    Hi

Surprised no one has commented. Very well done is all I can say. I have not had nearly as much success using window light.

Mike
    Thank you for your comment, I really do appreciate hearing your thoughts. I love the natural effects of window lighting. People just seem to be more at ease, at least for me anyway. Thanks again for taking the time to look and comment on my shot.
    edited June 14, 2004
    AltPro wrote:

Wolf... Nice photo. As for the reflector... I'm glad you didn't use it. I myself would have let the image darken even a bit more on her left side... Very nice.

ginette
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me, they are truly appreciated. I have always admired the Rembrandt lighting technique. Of course, I am not even close to achieving those kind of results, but hey, we all have to have something to strive for!! Thank you once again for taking the time to comment.
  • mystic7mystic7 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    Wolf wrote:
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me, they are truly appreciated. I have always admired the Rembrandt lighting technique. Of course, I am not even close to achieving those kind of results, but hey, we all have to have something to strive for!! Thank you once again for taking the time to comment.
    I much prefer natural light myself. That's why I'd rather shoot outdoors. Still haven't mastered control of natural light indoors. Nice work.
    M7
    edited June 15, 2004
    mystic7 wrote:
    I much prefer natural light myself. That's why I'd rather shoot outdoors. Still haven't mastered control of natural light indoors. Nice work.
    M7
    Me too, real people, real situations. Thanks for commenting!
  • mutineermutineer Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    always my favorite - real light intelligently used.

I have always hought that the less apparatus between you and the subject the more likely you are to capture a relaxed moment that really defines the subject.
    edited June 21, 2004
    mutineer wrote:
    always my favorite - real light intelligently used.

I have always hought that the less apparatus between you and the subject the more likely you are to capture a relaxed moment that really defines the subject.
    Thanks, and I do appreciate your time and comments.
    edited June 21, 2004
    michael972 wrote:
    Hi

Mike
    Thanks for taking the time to comment, I have always loved photos that are not so stiff and intrusive with uncomfortable posing and lights. I appreciate very much that you responded.
    edited June 21, 2004
    I too love natural lighting portraits... Here are a couple of the latest ones I have done of my twin sons, MaTT & LuC...

I've posted these before... at least LuC with the kitten, for sure...
    Both are in Natural Light Settings.
    LuC was taken in our Sunroom, as he leaned against a white cabinet which worked to bounce some light into his shadowed areas, that catch-lights in his eyes were caused by the windows directly across from where he sat, and to his right.

MaTT's was taken as the sun was setting over my shoulder, warming the light that reflected onto his face and the surrounding area. I have received mixed reviews on the offset cropping. My thoughts are that I get tired of seeing everything "perfectly cropped," and I found the background to have interest. I wanted MaTT to be the focal point, but not still allow the viewer to feel the setting.

ginette

5217785-L.jpg

5209006-L.jpg
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
    edited June 21, 2004
    I think these are both terrific shots! I personally get a lot of flack in regards to my cropping methods. But, I try to focus on what I find the most intriguing in the portrait. If that means off-setting the subject or cutting off a body part, so be it. In the end, the shot speaks for itself. Just like these wonderful photos of your sons. I like them both very much, but I find myself completely in LOVE with the second!! Not sure if its the boy or the cat that does it!! Ha Ha! Really, its a fabulous shot that resonates volumes!!
    edited June 21, 2004
    Wolf wrote:
    I like them both very much, but I find myself completely in LOVE with the second!! Not sure if its the boy or the cat that does it!! Ha Ha! Really, its a fabulous shot that resonates volumes!!
    Glad the "Kitten Shot" does it for you... As that is what the intent is there... To capture interest in the Kittens! I have 7 rescues to find homes for, ASAP!

Thank you for the comments... always nice to know what others think.
    ginette

CREATURE RESCUE
    edited June 21, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Glad the "Kitten Shot" does it for you... As that is what the intent is there... To capture interest in the Kittens! I have 7 rescues to find homes for, ASAP!

Thank you for the comments... always nice to know what others think.
    ginette

CREATURE RESCUE
    Much luck to you my friend, you have undertaken a noble cause. I wish I could take one, I just adopted a second kitten from our local shelter last week. They are beautiful kittens!!