Options

San Francisco, Dgrin Style

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited February 28, 2011 in Journeys
On a beautiful, sunny, San Francisco weekday, four dgrinners (Sam, schmoo, anonymouscuban and I) met in the middle of San Francisco and attempted to take over the world, photography style. Seven laughed filled hours later, we left the city with memories of an amazing city, gratitude for our time together, and RAW filled CF cards.

Although the weather dictated flip-flops and sandals, I figured hiking boots would be the smarter choice and after the six+ miles slow urban hike, I realized that I made the correct decision.
1183603927_SeQJH-M.jpg

I packed “light” and limited myself to a P&S, a general walk around lens and a lensbaby, but I have to admit, I did feel a bit naked without my 70-200. Plus, my camera looked really funny with a lensbaby on it…

Even though I live in the bay area, I rarely visit areas that are popular with tourist and I am always surprised to find things to help foreign visitors.
1183160691_zk4ts-L.jpg

anonymouscuban mentioned in this post that his shot of the bus was one of his favorite images of his trip. This is how he shot it! Also, whenever photographers get together, they will always be shots of a photographer taking a photo of photographer a taking a photo. :wink
1183161060_szzyN-XL.jpg

I’ve been to the Ferry Building numerous times, but never been in there when filled with so little people because it’s usually wall to wall bodies.
1183165107_pHRh7-X2.jpg

Although there were people inside, it was empty enough that I could do a bit of shopping and I looooooovvve shopping! :lust
1183166032_33zKy-M.jpg1183166888_pssve-M.jpg1183161914_esbiq-M.jpg

I must admit that I’m quite spoiled by living in the golden state. While the rest of the country was in a deep freeze, I have access to freshest produce and foods -- all grown within 100 miles from where I was standing.
1183164100_CgFhz-M.jpg1183163516_k6E84-M.jpg1183168867_6Xq5z-M.jpg

In San Francisco, you will always see interesting people. A homeless man might be sitting five feet away from you.
1183170002_L5AHG-XL.jpg

And five feet in the other direction, you see someone who belongs in the pages of a fashion magazine. I love the red sunglasses with the dark hari! He paired that with a light pink shirt with jeans and a dark navy jacket. So chic!
1183170292_kbrzx-XL.jpg

I know that I confused anonymouscuban when I started taking photos of shoes. What can I say? Shoes are awesome!

Schmoo always looks good in her fluevogs! I approve, but then again, I own two pairs. anonymouscuban rocked some vans, but honestly, I was paying more attention to the shadows than the shoes itself!
1183170647_eYCdT-L.jpg1183170954_LgzHz-L.jpg

While walking the embarcadero, you see all sorts of interesting sights.

If you turn your head one way, it’s the Colt Towers.
1183172264_R5eYw-L.jpg

If you twist the head the other direction, you see a docked ship with itty bitty people on the roof.
1183171576_4dSDT-L.jpg

If you look ahead of you, you see Shmoo using the force on a piece of wall art.
1183172681_DQnBi-L.jpg

And when you turn around, you might pause a bit at the unusual view in front of you… Tourist on segways. What can I say? I like shadows!
1183173540_q6JLt-XL.jpg

We wandered into the Musee Mecanique off of Fisher’s Wharf and it’s a place worth a visit; it houses a very large collection of mechanically operated musical instruments and antique arcade machines. I must admit.. some of them are really scary!
1183176956_pHAsf-M.jpg1183177394_JDiAc-M.jpg1183178353_q8XWD-M.jpg
1183178713_bHuD5-M.jpg1183179059_SSuoK-M.jpg1183179278_rtozU-M.jpg

Did you know that we had a dgrinner who moonlights as a strong man?
1183180009_FnLC3-L.jpg

I still don’t know how I got this shot in focus! LB is all manual focus!
1183180972_4e3RB-XL.jpg

I truly love it whenever I shoot with dgrinners. You are my photography family!
1177120691_tyhni-XL.jpg

I only have one regret for the day… I made brownies for the group and left them in Sam’s car in the morning. I heard he ate all of them…

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Nice report.
    Lots of cool shots. The lens baby looks like a lot of fun.
    What a great day you all must have had!
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    I live in SF too--wish I could have joined you!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    That looks like a blast! And it looks like you've mastered your LensBaby, too! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    These are great! I've lived in Northern Calif. (NorCal for the locals) for 40 years and have yet to spend the day in San Fran with my camera....these shots may be the inspiration to make me go. Thanks for sharing!!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    Nice images and report!!!!

Sam
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    Very nice shots and story. And I agree shooting with DGrinners is fun.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    Very entertaining read and great job using the lens baby.

Looks like you all had a great time.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    ruexp2ruexp2 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    Would like to join you DGrinners on another outing. I live up here in the No. Bay. Peace
    Canon 7D
    Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 VC
    Tamron 70-300mm F/4-5.6 VC
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Nexto eXtreme Image backup device 160GB
  • Options
    FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    good times clap.gif

thank you for sharing
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    Another terrific series from what was certainly a fun-filled day. I get more and more jealous with every set I see from those SF photowalks.

But one thing that confuses me a little - you said that weather dictated sandals and flip-flops, yet Schmoo was wearing a jacket, hat, and scarf. Different tolerances, I guess...

Puts me in mind of the famous quote, "The coldest winter I ever experienced was the summer I spent in San Francisco."
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Nice report.
    Lots of cool shots. The lens baby looks like a lot of fun.
    What a great day you all must have had!

It's an awesome day whenever I get to shoot with someone from dgrin!
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    jhefti wrote: »
    I live in SF too--wish I could have joined you!
    Keep your eye on the [http://dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34]location forum[/url]. We try to do a shootout walk every once in a while..
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    That looks like a blast! And it looks like you've mastered your LensBaby, too! clap.gif
    Whenever I get "stuck" while shooting, I'll pull out the lens baby and it forces me to see the world in a slightly different way.

However, focus is always difficult to nail. I call it practice for a tilt and shift lens!
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    These are great! I've lived in Northern Calif. (NorCal for the locals) for 40 years and have yet to spend the day in San Fran with my camera....these shots may be the inspiration to make me go. Thanks for sharing!!

Just go out and shoot! :D

Keep you eyes peeled in the locations forum because we'll get together every once in a while...
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Nice images and report!!!!

Sam

It was awesome doing a photo walk with you!
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    Very nice shots and story. And I agree shooting with DGrinners is fun.
    :D

Dgrin is truly my photo family! I've meet some many wonderful people on this forum and wouldn't be the photographer I am today without everyone here.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    a110p0 wrote: »
    Very entertaining read and great job using the lens baby.

Looks like you all had a great time.

Alvin
    You have to come out with us one day! I think I only have shot with you once and that was for a brief period of time.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    ruexp2 wrote: »
    Would like to join you DGrinners on another outing. I live up here in the No. Bay. Peace
    We would love to shoot with you too... keep your eye on the location forum and the posting might show up.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    good times clap.gif

thank you for sharing
    Good times indeed! :D Dgrinners are the best!
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Another terrific series from what was certainly a fun-filled day. I get more and more jealous with every set I see from those SF photowalks.

But one thing that confuses me a little - you said that weather dictated sandals and flip-flops, yet Schmoo was wearing a jacket, hat, and scarf. Different tolerances, I guess...

Puts me in mind of the famous quote, "The coldest winter I ever experienced was the summer I spent in San Francisco."
    I was dressed similar to that too, but that's because you never know what you're going to get in SF. In the bay area, it's full of micro climents and both Schmoo and I live about 40 minutes away from the city. It's always best to dress in layers!

And yes, that quote really applies to San Francisco, but this was one of the rare, fog free, warm, windless sunny days.
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    Nice images April. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!! I'll have to add the market to my list the next time I'm in town.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    Wow, those came out great, April! And I had no idea we'd walked that far. It sure didn't seem like it :)

I had a great time despite the bumpy start. And your sort-of-collage of from the Musee came out awesomely creepy!
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2011
    grimace wrote: »
    Nice images April. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!! I'll have to add the market to my list the next time I'm in town.
    You haven't been inside the Ferry Building?!??!?! You've been everywhere!

The next time we're in town, we'll make a stop at it...
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    Wow, those came out great, April! And I had no idea we'd walked that far. It sure didn't seem like it :)

I had a great time despite the bumpy start. And your sort-of-collage of from the Musee came out awesomely creepy!
    My legs really felt it that night due to my two hour power skating class. And my legs lets me know the next morning as well.... I really don't recommend the combination of gym, power skating class and a photowalk all within three days! :D

Thank you so much for letting us know about Musee. It's so awesome and creepy at the same time!
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    So much fun! So wishing I could figure out a way to hang with Grinners soon!