Options

Rugby

nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
edited February 28, 2011 in Sports
Had a little free time today so I headed out with a camera to a Rugby field near my house.
I know nothing about the sport and had never watched it before, and man is it brutal :bow
It was super overcast, windy and about 37 degrees so shooting conditions could have been better but it was fun and the guys put on a great show.
I will be heading back for sure on a nice day to shoot some more :clap

1199610945_JSfbq-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    Nice capture! That looks like a real-deal scrum going on there.

It's a great sport-former rugger here. Do you know the names of the teams that were playing? I still enjoy going to watch, even though my body won't put up with playing anymore. But I've got my share of injuries to prove that I was once a hooker. :D

EDIT: Judging from the location in your profile, and the uniforms, I think the team on the right is the East Side Tsunami, which is our local Pacific Islander team. They're pretty fierce.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2011
    I think your right. The team on the left was the home team (i think).
    Its the field at the Stafford exit and I205
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2011
    Oh yeah. It's called "The Farm" and it's ORSU's pitch. That's what I thought. ORSU is the oldest team in Portland; they've owned that property for a while. My former team's coaches both played for ORSU back when they played.

Cool that you got to see two good teams go at it. It's a ton of fun, and not nearly as scary as it looks. You should definitely go take some more shots, it's so fun to watch a match. If you need an interpreter/2nd shooter, let me know. :)
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2011
    Oh yeah. It's called "The Farm" and it's ORSU's pitch. That's what I thought. ORSU is the oldest team in Portland; they've owned that property for a while. My former team's coaches both played for ORSU back when they played.

Cool that you got to see two good teams go at it. It's a ton of fun, and not nearly as scary as it looks. You should definitely go take some more shots, it's so fun to watch a match. If you need an interpreter/2nd shooter, let me know. :)

That would be fun.
    I got a little info from a few players their, enough to at least get an idea of what was going on.
    I just live about a minute from the field so I for sure will be checking it out again. I will send you a pm the next time I head out.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2011
    nw scout wrote: »
    That would be fun.
    I got a little info from a few players their, enough to at least get an idea of what was going on.
    I just live about a minute from the field so I for sure will be checking it out again. I will send you a pm the next time I head out.

Sounds good-looking forward to it. :D
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    great f*cking shot! the ball really pulls everyhting together here!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    ...and the 8 man on the right peeking up is not bound and should be called on it. mwink.gif

Great fun. Played for 10 years at OSU, Seattle, and Portland (Pigs--ORSU arch rivals).

Post more. Few sports have the intensity of rugby full on. And being an amateur sport you have easy access to the sidelines. Keep an eye out for tournaments at the farm and you get matches all day to shoot.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2011
    ...and the 8 man on the right peeking up is not bound and should be called on it. mwink.gif

Right you are. Just goes to show-never ask a hooker what's supposed to be happening in the back of the scrum. rolleyes1.gif