Options

Dawn Barbecue in Oman, Middle East

desertpaddlerdesertpaddler Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited March 1, 2011 in Journeys
Hi

A few months back I posted this thread on visiting a mountain village in Oman during the religious festival of Eid Al Adha.
I've finally managed to add a second installment to my original blog post on this fantastic experience and here are some of the newer images.

Al%2BHail%2BSmall-35.jpg

Fires are lit in specially prepared pits. Once the fire has burnt down to coals they place large (like a goat or beef quarters) pieces of meat, cover the oven and let it bake for up to two days.

Al%2BHail%2BSmall-40.jpg

As I mention in the blog, don't be fooled by the traditional garb, in this photograph are engineers, technicians, teachers, businessmen and students, returned from far and wide for the Eid celebrations.

Al%2BHail%2BSmall-48.jpg

Most Omani villages, not matter how small, have a mosque which is central to village life. Green is traditionally associated with Islam, hence the green panes of glass (or sometimes lights) on the minaret.

Al%2BHail%2BSmall-53.jpg

Before the sun has lifted above the horizon fires are lit in anticipation of cooking more kebabs then you've ever seen in one place in your life.

Al%2BHail%2BSmall-60.jpg

Our barbecue for breakfast! Piles of spiced, fragrant, smoky kebabs fresh off the fire. And this was only a portion of what was cooked that morning.

Craig

Comments