Options

What do you do when your bride (and everyone else) is HOURS late

happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
edited March 3, 2011 in Weddings
I think a wedding where everything is running on time is a rare thing.

But, what do you do when everyone is running HOURS late? Meaning while you are actually waiting, what do you do?

Comments

• Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    That's a tough one. I'd get creative about it: let's say they were late 2 by hours (say you're suppose to start shooting at 9am, then you start shooting at 11am). You usually charge $100/hour for every additional hour you incur or asked to add to your normal hours. I'd offer either paying for that hourly charge period OR (here comes the kicker) ask that they pay the extra $200 but in addition, you will offer $200 in print-credit. This way, your client won't feel like they were necessarily ripped off, they're just being asked to buy more prints. Not a bad idea eh? :)
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    make yourself a sandwich and clip your nails. do some push-ups as well.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    I look around for things to shoot. I shoot a block of time as agreed upon before hand (and is backed up by a solid contract), so if they are late, oh well. But there is usually something to shoot... venue, details, family... Then I drink coffee. And try to rest. Because when they do come, it will be a bit of a fun ride to make up for lost time.

However, I do a lot of preventative work way before the wedding so that they might be a little late, but hours and hours late doesn't happen. I pretty much back plan their day all the way to "start doing your hair at this time" and publish a schedule.
  • Options
    happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    The situation was that the bride was running 2.5+ hours late. She had no bridal party, just her kids, who were with her (and why she was so late.) She and I worked out the issue of any additional time to our mutual satisfaction so there was no problem there.

What I ended up doing for those 2.5 hours-I shot the cake, from like every angle possible. I did table decor, different angels. Some of the details of the location (ie stained glass window, gorgeous stairway etc) that weren't actually part of the reception ballroom they were using as well as the room itself.

And then, I decided to go ahead and offer the few guests that were there (really, EVERYONE was late :D) to do some family portraits, since the location was so pretty. I ended up doing some quick and impromptu kid portraits, family portraits and even a maternity one. Gave them my contact info and told them I would make them available to them so that if they wanted prints they could them without having to pester the bride for them. And if they didn't want any prints, so big deal.
  • Options
    Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    pray that YOU are at the right place!!! Ha Ha...
  • Options
    vivalaveritasvivalaveritas Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    Wow, that sucks. But it sounds like you handled it very well.
  • Options
    dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    Last time that happened, I just went down to Best Buy and killed time!

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    Yep, if there's nothing I can do, I just get out my tripod and start rocking some detail shots. Maybe get candids of guests if they're around, and/or I hunt down engaged couples and ask to take their picture really quick and give them my card. Hey, whatever works!

Usually though, I've never needed to kill more than a few minutes because I'm WITH the bride, from the very beginning of the day. I guess the hr+ situation could arise in other situations though, where you're not photographing any getting ready etc.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011

That would be my first thought!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    Oh man, every now and then when I do a wedding at one of those "wedding mills" that has a ceremony every 30 minutes, (okay every 60 mins) ...I get there 15 minutes early, peek into the church, and see another bride and groom. SHEER TERROR, for a split second. Every time, never fails.

Either you see right away that they're not YOUR clients and you wonder for an instant if you've come to the wrong church, OR you just see the back of their heads and they look similar, so you wonder if they started the wedding without you. Either way, man your heart sure skips a beat.

Did I mention that I hate "wedding factory" churches?

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    I look around for things to shoot. I shoot a block of time as agreed upon before hand (and is backed up by a solid contract), so if they are late, oh well. But there is usually something to shoot... venue, details, family... Then I drink coffee. And try to rest. Because when they do come, it will be a bit of a fun ride to make up for lost time.

However, I do a lot of preventative work way before the wedding so that they might be a little late, but hours and hours late doesn't happen. I pretty much back plan their day all the way to "start doing your hair at this time" and publish a schedule.

+1 But I have to say ... hourS??? really?? Uhm wow, has never happened to me, I keep my couples on track :D Think about it, if people are running late, which part of the day gets cut?? 9496500-Ti.gif You better keep them on schedule or you'll regret it ... caus the bride WILL call you 2 months after the wedding and blame you that you didn't get any photos taken! You better find *something* to take photos of, even if it's candids of them wasting your time ... I'm serious! You better document what was going on / or take some amazing detail shots during that time, or they'll track YOU down! thumb.gif
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    mr peas wrote: »
    That's a tough one. I'd get creative about it: let's say they were late 2 by hours (say you're suppose to start shooting at 9am, then you start shooting at 11am). You usually charge $100/hour for every additional hour you incur or asked to add to your normal hours. I'd offer either paying for that hourly charge period OR (here comes the kicker) ask that they pay the extra $200 but in addition, you will offer $200 in print-credit. This way, your client won't feel like they were necessarily ripped off, they're just being asked to buy more prints. Not a bad idea eh? :)

I like!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Long waits are what God created iPads for :) Pre-wedding Angry Birds sounds like fun to me!

If it's a long enough wait, the client would be buying the iPad. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    All of my shoots are on an unlimited time frame, so this isn't that big of a deal to me. I shoot the site a bit and actively find things to photograph, after all it is my job :) Next a phone call to the bride/groom whoever is running late to put them at ease. Chances are they are very aware of the fact they are late and are getting more and more stressed by the minute. Take advantage of this moment to help them out to get back on track. Then work out a plan to get the photos that you missed while keeping the rest of the day on schedule.
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    I wouldn't know what to do.
    I have been shooting weddings over 25 years now and never had a bride run hours late. I think it must be a very rare thing.
    It would sure lill the park shots if the wedding was in winter though. For most weddings I do it would be dark before we got to the location.

I have only been late to a wedding once because the bride gave me the wrong address for her house!! I was nearly an hour late but that was OK because she also gave the same wrong address to the florist , makeup artist and limos.

I managed to get her to the church only 30 min late and the priest comes storming out of the church, grabs me by the arm roughly and gives ME a serve for getting them there late!

Suffice to say my response was one that left him under no misimpression that the almighty was not the only one that could put the fear of god into someone! :heh