Options

GPS unit for Nikon

jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
edited January 6, 2012 in Accessories
I'm looking to get a GPS receiver for my D200, and would like to know what receivers others have had success with. The Nikon GP-1 is out of my target price range, so of the third party ones, what is a good choice? The Geomet'r and Wolverine have attractive prices, but reviews at some of the stores are bad or mixed. Any comments?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    Terry White has some recommendations... Search his site.

He recently reviewed the unleased one and blue slr one recently.
  • Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    I just recently purchased an EasyTag Bluetooth (B1) for my D7000. I bought it online from www.e-geotag.com for $150 + $12 shipping (you have to add both the product and the shipping to your cart on their site). For that price, I received a great package and excellent product. I'm very happy so far. You can see the package I received in the photo below (I left out a cool shoe extender that they also included so that you can mount the GPS on your shoe with the flash extended up) which includes a bluetooth unit, a gps device (including a 2GB micro SD card), cable, shoe extender, and USB micro SD reader.

I haven't had time to write up a review, and I don't know how it works with a D200 vs. my D7000, but basically it works like this:
    * plug in the bluetooth dongle to the camera
    * turn on the GPS unit (very small device) - you can attach the GPS to the hotshoe, or put it on your pocket or anywhere you want it
    * wait a few seconds for the lights to blink the right sequence
    * start shooting!

It's pretty simple and straight forward. The GPS unit recharges via USB to your computer, and includes a 2GB micro SD card that it stores your GPS tracks on in case you want the track information. So far my tests have the GPS unit getting a lock on the satellites in about 15 seconds, and I just leave it on when I'm out shooting. When I turn the camera on (or the meter is reactivated), the camera's bluetooth unit connects instantly to the GPS unit and it's ready to shoot before I'm ready to press the shutter.

For the price, I'm extremely satisfied.

1180648482_2Xxk6-M.jpg
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    aktse wrote: »
    Terry White has some recommendations... Search his site.

He recently reviewed the unleased one and blue slr one recently.

Thanks. I looked at has sight and there are some good reviews. Unfortunately, he has not reviewed most of the lowest cost units. One of those latest two is designed to connect with an iPhone which is cool if you have one.
    I just recently purchased an EasyTag Bluetooth (B1) for my D7000. I bought it online from www.e-geotag.com for $150 + $12 shipping (you have to add both the product and the shipping to your cart on their site). For that price, I received a great package and excellent product. I'm very happy so far. You can see the package I received in the photo below (I left out a cool shoe extender that they also included so that you can mount the GPS on your shoe with the flash extended up) which includes a bluetooth unit, a gps device (including a 2GB micro SD card), cable, shoe extender, and USB micro SD reader.

I haven't had time to write up a review, and I don't know how it works with a D200 vs. my D7000, but basically it works like this:
    * turn on the GPS unit (very small device) - you can attach the GPS to the hotshoe, or put it on your pocket or anywhere you want it
    * start shooting!

It's pretty simple and straight forward. The GPS unit recharges via USB to your computer, and includes a 2GB micro SD card that it stores your GPS tracks on in case you want the track information. So far my tests have the GPS unit getting a lock on the satellites in about 15 seconds, and I just leave it on when I'm out shooting. When I turn the camera on (or the meter is reactivated), the camera's bluetooth unit connects instantly to the GPS unit and it's ready to shoot before I'm ready to press the shutter.

That looks pretty good. On a D200, it might not work quite as well, the connection for it is on the front of the camera, so the receiver might not fit there as well. I was also leaning more towards a wired unit.

In general, I continue to be amazed at how expensive these GPS receivers are. The GPS modules are really cheap ($20 or less in quantity) and the other electronics needed are really simple (There are a ton of DIY solutions, I'd just be afraid to fly with one, thinking the homemade device might draw the scrutiny of security). They should cost less than a GPS tracker, since they are a simpler device.
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    I use the Gistek phototracker. It logs the gps coordinates that I download to my computer and then I use Geosetter (free dl) to write the location data to the files. I have also used the .gpx files my garmin gps with geosetter. The phototracker is smaller and keeps a signal inside my fanny pack.
    Geosetter will also lookup the location data and write the data to the metadata including to keywords as well.
    The phototracker was ~$100 a year ago.
  • Options
    CharlechenCharlechen Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 6, 2011
    re:
    I am using the wired edition of Eztag, just 108 dollars. Cheap and easy, and no problem yet since 3 month ago. While you may try the Bluetooth one as MileHighAko does, also cheaper than other Bluetooth brands.
  • Options
    souhaitersouhaiter Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    I got a wired Easytagger and works great too. But I recently saw they upgrade their product, then I email them and they agree to upgrade mine just with the payment for the shipping.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2011
    Just share something with geotagging

It allows for an alternate organization of your photos, by place.

It helps as you get old and forget where the photos were taken.

It helps you to find exactly the places of the photos taken by the other photographers which you are interested

It lets you see cool maps of where the photos in events were taken, add cool maps to slide shows.

You can upload photos to a number of web sites that will show them where they were taken - Panaramio, flicker, locr
    You have your photos places on Google earth for the world to see

There is some showcase and wish you could also share them with us.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2011
    Also there is a solution, Iphone with gps4cam, may work as a data logger.
  • Options
    zane80zane80 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 14, 2011

* start shooting!

For the price, I'm extremely satisfied.

What a shame!!! I should have just paid a little more to get the Bluetooth dongle instead of using the wire to attach to my D7000. Well, no use crying over split milk and no point having buyer's guilt.
    I shall use the wire till it rots or spolit, whichever comes first. But this GPS unit is really sturdy and compact, most importantly, it does what it is supposed to do. :)
  • Options
    zane80zane80 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 5, 2012
    zane80 wrote: »
    What a shame!!! I should have just paid a little more to get the Bluetooth dongle instead of using the wire to attach to my D7000. Well, no use crying over split milk and no point having buyer's guilt.
    I shall use the wire till it rots or spolit, whichever comes first. But this GPS unit is really sturdy and compact, most importantly, it does what it is supposed to do. :)

Hows everyone's gps units doing? Mine is still going strong but on days where satelites are somehow cranky, it might be difficult to get a good reading. This happen worldwide for all brands so it is nothing to fret over about.
  • Options
    GSJonGSJon Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    I have the EasyTag Bluetooth and have not been able to have the BT part work on my D90. I even sent it back to China once for replacement without it working. it works wired but I'm disappointed in it as I really wanted to not have the wires and the "big" GPS unit stuck on top of the camera. Plus the build quality is what you would expect of something "inexpensive" from China.