Options

Canon T3i or T2i

jonny_221jonny_221 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited March 10, 2011 in Cameras
Want to buy a new camera and seems like canon has announced a new camera Canon T3i with theses feautes
18-megapixel CMOS sensor
Scene Intelligent Auto mode
Full-HD EOS Movie
On-screen Feature Guide
3.7fps continuous shooting
Wide-area 9-point AF

Is it worth going with this camera or I should consider Canon T2i? What is the main difference?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited March 1, 2011
    Both the T2i/550D and the T3i/600D have the same imager and image processor and they will produce identical images under identical settings and circumstances. The T3i has 2 additional features that I would desire, but not require:
    • Articulated LCD
    • Integrated Wireless flash controller

These 2 features really can impact the way that you approach your photography and the way that you control lighting.

The articulated display allows you to hold the camera both high and low and still gain a good preview and accurate framing of the scene (using Live View). If you're in a crowd, for instance, and you want to shoot above the crowd, you can just set the camera in Live View mode, tilt the LCD down, hold the camera above, frame and shoot.

The Integrated Wireless flash controller allows you to use the in-camera flash to control a compatible remote flash wirelessly. This is extremely important and has been available on competing cameras for some time, but not generally on many entry level cameras. This allows the on-camera flash to work as both the master controller for remote flashes as well as perform the duties of fill light. Previously you had to use an external flash to perform these duties and the only Canon flash that could perform both master/controller and fill was the 550EX/580EX/580EX II series and they were all $400USD when new.

Other new features on the T3i include a newer user interface with some extra creativity programs.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    What ziggy said, no other Canon has the articulated screen and the wireless flash control in the same camera, and it's all the more interesting that they did this in their entry-level body because I wish my 7D had the articulated screen. I would pick the T3i over the T2i no question (for my uses).

In fact you should probably talk about what you are going to shoot with your camera (sports? flower macros? landscapes? video/no video at all?), because that will determine which features you should actually be paying attention to.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    jonny_221 wrote: »
    Want to buy a new camera and seems like canon has announced a new camera Canon T3i with theses feautes
    18-megapixel CMOS sensor
    Scene Intelligent Auto mode
    Full-HD EOS Movie
    On-screen Feature Guide
    3.7fps continuous shooting
    Wide-area 9-point AF

Is it worth going with this camera or I should consider Canon T2i? What is the main difference?

I would be inclined to go with the cheaper T2i / 550D
  • Options
    jonny_221jonny_221 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Both the T2i/550D and the T3i/600D have the same imager and image processor and they will produce identical images under identical settings and circumstances. The T3i has 2 additional features that I would desire, but not require:
    • Articulated LCD
    • Integrated Wireless flash controller

Thanks for the info I think if both are at the same price than its better going with Canon T3i atleast I get a articulated lcd which is useful in some shooting situations. Here at Canon T3i vs Canon T2i they have really differentiated well.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited March 2, 2011
    jonny_221 wrote: »
    ... I think if both are at the same price than its better going with Canon T3i atleast I get a articulated lcd which is useful in some shooting situations. ...

Be sure to check current prices. I think you will find that the T2i has been discounted since its introduction (which is normal). Supplies of the T2i are probably also limited to current inventory.

The point about the articulated LCD is valid, but for me the big sell is both the LCD mount "and" the Integrated Wireless multi-flash controller. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Canon 60D
    Also consider the 60D for $900 body only vs $900 for the T3i with 18-55mm lens.

...get them in-hand and see which fits you best. thumb.gif
  • Options
    bmilohillbmilohill Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2011
    Other Differences
    While not major, teh T3i has several other advances which the T2i lacks:

It has intergrated the RAW processing of the 60D with the creative filters first seen in teh point and shoot s95 in order to provide the capability of doing photoshop like effects on camera, and saving as a new file. Not a huge bonus, most iphones do this, but sometimes fun.

If you go kit, the kit lens has the series II stabalizer, giving it one more stop of stabilization over the lens in the t2i kit.

Neither as nice as the wireless lighting control, though.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    They're not the same price. Be sure you buy from a reputable dealer like B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc.

I would consider the 40D/50D/60D, they are about the same price (40D now can go for $400 used) and much better handling. You might not notice, but those of us who are used to xxD/1-Series find the Rebels uncomfortably small. (At least some of us).

Back to the question though, if I were you it would depend on their prices. If I can save a few hundred dollars by getting the T2i I'd do that.
  • Options
    HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    They're not the same price. Be sure you buy from a reputable dealer like B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc.

Thanks for the Adorama recommendation; very much appreciated!
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    bmilohill wrote: »
    While not major, teh T3i has several other advances which the T2i lacks:

It has intergrated the RAW processing of the 60D with the creative filters first seen in teh point and shoot s95 in order to provide the capability of doing photoshop like effects on camera, and saving as a new file. Not a huge bonus, most iphones do this, but sometimes fun.

If you go kit, the kit lens has the series II stabalizer, giving it one more stop of stabilization over the lens in the t2i kit.

Neither as nice as the wireless lighting control, though.

I believe the new 18-55IS "series II" is the same as the old 18-55IS but with outside cosmetic changes
  • Options
    NobrickNobrick Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 10, 2011
    I have the t2i and would only go with the t3i for video purposes. I grab my sx20 for video strictly because of the articulating screen. I also have triggers for flashes so the t3i flash control doesn't mean much to me. I wouldn't upgrade to the t3i FROM the t2i. IMO, as a first DSLR for someone, I think the t3i is an AMAZING entry level DSLR. Go with B&H or Amazon (I have had a dealings with Adorama that were shady at best)
  • Options
    HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Nobrick wrote: »
    ...I have had a dealings with Adorama that were shady at best

I was concerned to read your posting; could you please email me with more detailed information about this?
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com