Options

Testing Water

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited June 13, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
The challenge this week seems to be interpreted to mean CANDID shots but the rules dont say it.

A co-worker of mine came over and helped me set up the studio equipment for some senior pictures I was going to do. He brought his son will him so I talked the kid into posing for me for a few shots just for fun.

A. Does this qualify for the challenge?

B. What do you think?

4926370-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2004
    i certainly had candids in mind - but there's no absolutes. this boy is a person in your neighborhood, eh? sounds like a qualifier to me.

you have two other entries to make up your set of three this challenge, so you can always shoot the local cop, nutter, baseball player, judge, the lovers etc ;-)
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2004
    I LOVE THAT SHOT.. Greaper... what did you use for light??
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    The challenge this week seems to be interpreted to mean CANDID shots but the rules dont say it.

A co-worker of mine came over and helped me set up the studio equipment for some senior pictures I was going to do. He brought his son will him so I talked the kid into posing for me for a few shots just for fun.

A. Does this qualify for the challenge?
    Hmm, studio equipment. I think this should be in the hall of fame and thus inelegible for competition.... Just kidding. Great image!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I LOVE THAT SHOT.. Greaper... what did you use for light??

I may be mistaken but I believe it was a 5000 watt hot lightning studio strobe set at 2/3 power for the main light to the boys right aimed into a reflective umbrella and another set at 1/3 power for the second light to his left also into an umbrella. There was also a 500 watt strobe behind him aimed at the back drop to eliminate shadows. and last and least my Nikon SB-800 speedlight aimed at the ceiling primarily to triger the other strobes but also to bounce some light in from the top.

He is a cute little bugger isnt he.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited June 7, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    I may be mistaken but I believe it was a 5000 watt hot lightning studio strobe set at 2/3 power for the main light to the boys right aimed into a reflective umbrella and another set at 1/3 power for the second light to his left also into an umbrella. There was also a 500 watt strobe behind him aimed at the back drop to eliminate shadows. and last and least my Nikon SB-800 speedlight aimed at the ceiling primarily to triger the other strobes but also to bounce some light in from the top.

He is a cute little bugger isnt he.

Very nice soft light from your electronic suns - well done Greaper!cool2.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    Thought I would post these photos to see if they might be competitive in the current challenge. The face of the girl at the carwash was very dark. I used curves to lighten her up, but lost a bit of the detail at the bottom.
    Any comments are welcome. Thanks

5043771-M.jpg

5043772-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    Thought I would post these photos to see if they might be competitive in the current challenge. The face of the girl at the carwash was very dark. I used curves to lighten her up, but lost a bit of the detail at the bottom.
    Any comments are welcome. Thanks

5043771-M.jpg

5043772-M.jpg

Try taking the original,

Use layers>new adjustment layer>levels

Make your levels adjustment.

Use the eraser tool to erase the adjustment layer over the bright spots so that your original layer shows through.

This will brighten the dark areas, but return the bright areas to the original regaining any detail that was there.

Love the second one.
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2004
    Greaper

Thank you for the tip, it works very well and I will use it often. However this photo isn't going to work for the competition.