Options

A quick simple question

OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
edited March 10, 2011 in Weddings
So I'm finally dipping my toes in the world of weddings. A friend has asked about my price for a 6 hour session (which I told him I had none and laughed) but I said I'd love to do it for him. I've had tons of experience shooting low light events, and enough in portraiture so taking photos at a fast pace isn't a problem.

What I don't know is whether I should make a 50mm F1.4 prime my main lens or a 70-200. I've used both equally during events so maybe if there's a specific reason that a wedding would require one over the other. That, I'd love to know.

That's all!

Comments

• Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    Lens selection is a very personal matter. What works for me probably won't work well for someone else. You know what works best for you to cover everything. I must say, a 70-200 is a bit long as a main lens (although to me a 50 is too).
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    you may have restrictions in a church on where you can shoot from during ceremony
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2011
    Yeah I suppose I'd have to see the place first. That'll be my deciding factor. Thanks :D

I have a Canon as my main and a Pentax as a backup... maybe I should bump the pentax so I can use both of the canon lenses I have... although Pentaxs' intro level stuff is so much nicer than canons intro level stuff...

Meh maybe I'll bite and grab a 50mm prime for the pentax since they're cheap enough and wear both bodies
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    Yeah I suppose I'd have to see the place first. That'll be my deciding factor. Thanks :D

I have a Canon as my main and a Pentax as a backup... maybe I should bump the pentax so I can use both of the canon lenses I have... although Pentaxs' intro level stuff is so much nicer than canons intro level stuff...

Meh maybe I'll bite and grab a 50mm prime for the pentax since they're cheap enough and wear both bodies

You should also rent/buy something wider than 50mm....17-40 or 24-70. Group shots and room/venue shots are not usually possible with 50mm.

You will find either wearing some type of lens bag (like a shoot sac) or wearing two bodies is crucial. During ceremony especially, very little time to switch lenses. They happen fast...
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    Asking whether to use a 50mm prime or a 70-200 is kind of like asking if you should use either a sport car or a hot air balloon to travel. They are so totally different.
    Can you not use both? You def need a wider lens for a wedding. My favorite is the 24-70 2.8. Great all around lens. Then, there are some people who do a total photojournalistic approach, using only a 50mm 1.4. I have that lens, and use it for bride getting ready shots, detail shots, and some basic portraits. Of course, if you aren't permitted to move in close to the ceremony, you'll want the 70-200 on camera.

I'd rent a 24-70 for sure. ( I always rented one before I bought one) If I had just one lens to shoot a whole wedding, I'd go with that. That's just me.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    Weisel wrote: »
    Asking whether to use a 50mm prime or a 70-200 is kind of like asking if you should use either a sport car or a hot air balloon to travel. They are so totally different.
    Can you not use both? You def need a wider lens for a wedding. My favorite is the 24-70 2.8. Great all around lens. Then, there are some poeple who do a total photojournalistic approach, using only a 50mm 1.4. I have that lens, and use it for bride getting ready shots, detail shots, and some basic portraits. Of course, if you aren't permitted to move in close to the ceremony, you'll want the 70-200 on camera.

I'd rent a 24-70 for sure. ( I always rented one before I bought one) If I had just one lens to shoot a whole wedding, I'd go with that. That's just me.

+1 thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2011
    I have had a 24-70 for about 1 1/2 years and I've never used it in an event... at least I can't remember using it... oh wait I did use it once in a very cramped outdoor porch that was about 12x18 feet at a cafe. haha.

I have Lowpro belt cases for each lens so swapping isn't a big problem, but, there still are split second moments that 2 bodies would be a nice insurance policy against that. I could get a tight belt and wear all 3 and not drink much before I shoot, Laughing.gif.

I guess I have attachments to the 50mm lens since it allows for such beautiful and pristine IQ vs. any zoom lens... and I'm an IQ junkie. Lol.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    Weisel wrote: »
    Can you not use both? You def need a wider lens for a wedding. My favorite is the 24-70 2.8. Great all around lens. Then, there are some people who do a total photojournalistic approach, using only a 50mm 1.4. I have that lens, and use it for bride getting ready shots, detail shots, and some basic portraits. Of course, if you aren't permitted to move in close to the ceremony, you'll want the 70-200 on camera.

Now, if only I could photograph a wedding from a hot air balloon... :D:D:D

Others already said it best- TOTALLY subjective, and honestly you probably should have BOTH lenses on hand if its' a low-light event.

I would absolutely carry two bodies that I feel entirely comfortable shooting with simultaneously, not JUST an old backup that is a worst-case-scenario camera.

Usually, I roll with a prime on one body and a zoom on the other. If light permits f/2.8 instead of f/1.4, then yeah slap on a tele 2.8. Or in closer quarters, or whatever, a 24-70 on full-frame or 17-50 on crop, plus a 35, 50, or 85 prime on another (preferably full-frame) body.

Cover your bases!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2011
    I'm about to buy either a 5D or 7D. I think a 7D since the features and resolution kinda stomp everything except the DLA of the 5D
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2011
    Oh yeah, and, the k-x kit is for sale! Lol. :D