Options

Recovering from Failure

indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited March 10, 2011 in The Big Picture
What do you do when you've made errors in managing the administration and processing of images on big job? My actual photography and execution of the photography was great. I had issues with processing (color) and then when I had to reprint, I was not prepared for the administration of multiple reprints.

I resolved all outstanding orders and met the needs of the clients. I did not, however, get the gig for next year.

I kept detailed notes and learned SO MUCH from the process and will not make the same mistakes (I've fixed the issues, oh how I've fixed them).

This gig was independent of my regular portrait/wedding work (these were school pictures) but I'm wondering if my name/reputation will ever recover. :cry I am not interested in getting jobs like this in the future. It's not my forte AT ALL.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 8, 2011
    omg. worse than failure is SILENCE.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 8, 2011
    Ok so your last statement is that you don't want another job like this one again...
    I'm sorry that you messed up. It probably cost you money to fix everything. I'm sure it was a kick to your ego knowing you messed up. However, the client was taken care of. You didn't get the gig for next year...so what? You stated that you really didn't want that type of job again...so not to be a smart azz here but...Like Jimmy Buffett says in a song, Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 8, 2011
    It's a bit of a cliché, but the quote that comes to mind is "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment." Screwing up is never pleasant, but it does make for amusing stories down the road when you gain distance and perspective. Don't take it so hard. thumb.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    Please tell us the story. I want to learn. What was the problem? What was the fix? It's not about rubbing it in or suggesting what you schuda or schudn't have done.

Sam
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    In the end it is only pictures.
    Do a lessons learned and don't let that happen to you again.

We have all had failures, it is how you bounce back that defines you.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    Never has there been a photog that did not screw up sometime in his/her career........and it could be said....more than once........learn from the mistakes....if it was to overwhelming to process all those pix then the next time you have a million and 1 pix to process....look to Happy Fish Designs ......the link is to their contact form......fill out the top part and in the comments section ask for a processing price list and it should come real soon........what I have had them process was done very well and the price is real good also.......Chad Dalquist is the processor and Karen is the Album Designer....Real Good People.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 9, 2011
    I was contracted for two private schools. I was connected to the schools because I worked a day job in Development at one of them and when I got laid off, they wanted to use me as a contractor for school pix - I had done their marketing photos during my time there. One school (School A) had 300 kids, the other (School B) 150. Both expressed a desire for more modern looking school pictures but both wanted indoor, simple blue background.

My marketing and promo pieces were killer. The actual structure of shooting days was awesome. The images were great. I was feelin' good.

I sent a sample proof (online) to the admin contact at school A. My post processing produced a richly-colored, vibrant image. She loved it. I sent them to print. Packaged the lot. Delivered them.

And they hated them. They were too saturated when viewed in person. I held the delivery, reprocessed and reprinted the entire set, no problem.

Meanwhile, I sent school B's proof to their admin contact. This proof took into account the adjustments from school A. They approved and away we went with round #2 for School A and round #1 for B.

Both school's images were packaged and delivered the next week (that week sucked so hard!). School A was pretty happy with about 75% of them, we decided to deliver with the ability for parents to have them reprinted if they didn't like them. School B delivered EVEN WITH CONCERNS.

After delivery, the image processing went over like a fart in church. I was now dealing with two groups: those who hated the processing and those who wanted retakes (less than 1% of the total wanted them because of "bad image"). It didn't much matter, because once the parents started talking to each other, I was screwed.

I ran and ran and ran to please folks. Reprinted things left and right (within a defined process and system). Tried to please who I could and put my head down and took the insults from those whom I couldn't please.

In the aftermath, I managed to screw up on the admin of 10 orders. Of course, as karma/luck/humble pie would have it, they were the most outspoken/offended/angry people. And rightly so.

It gives me hives just thinking about it.

I made good, eventually, on everything. In the proper time frame and with the proper amount of contrition... And now I wonder if those 450 families will sour my name for ever.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    Indiegirl,

Thanks for the explanation.

Would it be possible to see a few representative images and the various processing?

Disclaimer: I know zilch about school photography. That said, it seems like you may have tried too hard to please everyone. If you photographed 450 kids, no mater how hard you try some % of parents are not going to be happy.

Really hard when they approved the images prior to printing.

Soo Sorry! :cry:cry

Sam
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 9, 2011
    indiegirl wrote: »
    I made good, eventually, on everything. In the proper time frame and with the proper amount of contrition... And now I wonder if those 450 families will sour my name for ever.
    Send them all an apology note for the screw-up with a free coupon for $50 off their next family photo shoot with you. And then over-deliver on the takers and wow them with your photography. You might want to take a pass on the avante-garde processing next time around as well. mwink.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Send them all an apology note for the screw-up with a free coupon for $50 off their next family photo shoot with you. And then over-deliver on the takers and wow them with your photography. You might want to take a pass on the avante-garde processing next time around as well. mwink.gif

This is a very good idea ......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    If I read your story correctly you had 2 issues:

1) prints not matching processed images
    2) folks did not like your more modern processing

wrt to 2), for school pictures I would have gone with just a "standard" processing. No one willobjec to this but as soon as you get edgier then there will be folks who like it and then folsk who don't and you have no way to tell who's who. I would ask to see samples but maybe not the most appropriate to be posting other folks kids online.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    indiegirl wrote: »
    I kept detailed notes and learned SO MUCH from the process and will not make the same mistakes (I've fixed the issues, oh how I've fixed them).

what issues do you feel needed fixing?

And just curious, did the prints not match up with your Monitor?

Overall it sounds like you really went the extra mile to do what was right, and make good on what the clients felt needed fixing. That is all you can do once the Stuff hits the fan.

However post fan, I like the idea of a personal apology and coupon. Would be nice for you and them if all could see some humor in this....but folks tend to not think that way when it comes to their kid.
    tom wise