Options

DSS 72 Under the sea

lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
edited March 12, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I plan to to stick with the "under the sea" theme for this round, but have a few different shots I'd like opinions on please. I'm curious about the exposure - I shoot in raw so I can adjust any one of these (& as you can see, the exposures are each different), but I have a really hard time determining what the "correct" exposure is supposed to be. Any advice/suggestions would be great. Thanks! :)

1. Just below the surface (or other suggestions??)
1212580608_qN4vG-M.jpg

2. Home sweet rock
1212540462_iAHyb-M.jpg

3. Under the sea anemone
1212541886_QGnzJ-M.jpg

4. Under the sea anemone 2
1212541431_YpQ9V-M.jpg

5. Sand from below
1211706060_ZPpHB-M-1.jpg
~Lillian~
A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    I like # 1 "just below the surface". A great "underneath" shot. (maybe crop the white at the very top of image)
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    I agree with kwickers, I really like the first shot but maybe a little closer on the fish? Play around with this idea a bit more...
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    kwickers wrote: »
    I like # 1 "just below the surface". A great "underneath" shot. (maybe crop the white at the very top of image)
    15524779-Ti.gif 100%
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    I like #1, but would rotate it 180* for a fun perspective. Scratch that, rotate it 90* CCW. :D
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    I also agree 15524779-Ti.gif

Very nice!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    I really liked sea anemone #2... great colors, great composition. I like the shallow dof - but it looks like it's on the tips of the anemone, and the clownfish is a little oof.

#1 is a neat perspective (actually what I thought of first, but I haven't been participating in a while) and it works well. The horizontal blue line is a little wierd. what causes that?
    edited March 11, 2011
    red_zone wrote: »
    The horizontal blue line is a little wierd. what causes that?

I'll take a guess and say it's the water line at the back of the tank.
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2011
    Thanks for all the comments kwickers, rbustraen, konomaniac, Simpson Brothers & photo-bug! I'll play this evening & post updates (& I meant to crop off that white area & forgot - definitely something to fix).
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2011
    Yes, konomaniac is correct - it's the water line :)

& thanks for your comments red_zone - getting that focus spot-on is really difficult for me, even with a still subject, & the little clownfish won't stay still for anything!!rolleyes1.gif I may play more with the clownfish - the little guy poses pretty well, for a split second anyway - if only I was focused at the exact spot where he decides to pose!
    ~Lillian~
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    I guess I'm different. I think #5 is fantastic! The colors and the dof are great!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2011
    Thanks Sandi - I really like that one too, but I think the focus is a little soft - super hard to get these guys in crisp focus. I was so surprised that the sand was in a circle when he spat it - & that I caught it! The jawfish are very fun to watch - they burrow & are always redecorating their homes with shells.

And thank you SimpsonBrothers for getting some creativity going in my head - here's shot #1 reworked - C&C please! :)

1A. Still working on a name for this one
    1213440595_xv8ga-M.jpg

1B: The Portal - I thought this one turned out cool, it caught my eye when I was dragging a layer to create 1A. But it's kinda weird at the same time.
    1213440660_Qvbnn-M.jpg
    ~Lillian~
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »

1A. Still working on a name for this one
    1213440595_xv8ga-M.jpg

1213440660_Qvbnn-M.jpg

instead of an out of body experience they are having a "Out of water experience", Laughing.gif

Neat shots. I tend to like the #1 shots... and #5, I didn't realize that was sand he was spitting out. (I don't have much fish experience) Nice catch!