Options

Okay. Shoot me...but answer my question first.

angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
edited March 12, 2011 in The Big Picture
Is not having a phone with which to text and receive texts going to prevent me from having adequate communication with my local social world?

How about business world?

...is that the new form of communication?

Is that easier than phoning?

How is it better?

Thanks in advance
tom wise

Comments

• Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    It does make life easier.
    I've had clients text to say they were going to be late, or cancel. Sometimes it's a facebook message.

Customers can contact me via: Twitter, Facebook, DGrin, Email, Phone, Text, Tumblr, Instant Messaging

All of those go to my phone, which I can respond to immediately.

Just another option for communication with your customers...
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    It does make life easier.
    I've had clients text to say they were going to be late, or cancel. Sometimes it's a facebook message.

Customers can contact me via: Twitter, Facebook, DGrin, Email, Phone, Text, Tumblr, Instant Messaging

All of those go to my phone, which I can respond to immediately.

Just another option for communication with your customers...

Very good points! Thanks for chiming in!thumb.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    I hate texting and look upon it as telling me the message is not worth actually speaking to me about.....it is extremely impersonal .......if you want to text then send it to my email not my phone.... I bulk delete all texts never read them....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Is not having a phone with which to text and receive texts going to prevent me from having adequate communication with my local social world?

Probably.
    How about business world?

Probably not.
    ...is that the new form of communication?

Is that easier than phoning?

How is it better?

Thanks in advance

Well, it's sometimes easier, sometimes not. If you want to say, "pick me up a bag of chips while you're out" then texting is easier. If you want to talk about what prints a client wants, then talking is better. It's not "the new form of communication"; texting does make life easier for some, but it will not replace phone, in my not-so-humble opinion. Texting is good for, say you're doing an event, communicating with a fellow photog a couple hundred yards away. (I guess two-way radios would work there also).

Of course, it's cheaper than phone. Last time I checked AT&T, it's $70 for unlimited phone and $15 for unlimited text (both per month). I think both have their place, and both can and will coexist.

Of course, that's assuming you have a full keyboard on you device, which you should have anyway.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2011
    I'm ambivalent over it. I am not at all convinced. if a person wants to work with you and cannot take the time to connect to you via your preferred method....see ya next time.

Granted, if indeed I did have LOTS of on location action happening, I'd be wired..but...until then~

thanks one and all for giving input!
    tom wise
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2011
    If phone is your preferred method then there's nothing wrong with that. Texting can just sometimes make your and your clients' lives easier. Sometimesthumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 6, 2011
    I have a good friend who lives in the country, and has really poor AT&T coverage for his iPhone. Voice conversations never succeeds, but he can send and receive text, and text that he is leaving and will be at the destination on time, and I get the message.

I am not really a texter, but I have learned it can be quite useful at times, to reach folks that cannot currently answer their phone, like maybe they are busy driving through an intersection......

Texting is easier for the recipient than retrieving a voice mail, I think that is one of its appeals...
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Texting is easier for the recipient than retrieving a voice mail, I think that is one of its appeals...

That is the key message I keep getting! Thanks~
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2011
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I hate texting and look upon it as telling me the message is not worth actually speaking to me about.....it is extremely impersonal .......if you want to text then send it to my email not my phone.... I bulk delete all texts never read them....

lol3.gif welcome to 10 years ago. Texting is growing more than emailing. You can stick in the mud, or be smart and be wherever clients are going to be. Text, Facebook, Twitter, Email, phone, it's all good for me :)
  • Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    Seriously?
    Art Scott wrote: »

Not even a peek?
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    Look at it from the other side too, why not have a phone that handles texts? I was just recently shopping around for cell phone plans and the cost of a text package is pretty insignificant. For anything less than a paragraph I'd prefer getting a text to an email or phone call, and I'd take any one of those over a voicemail any day. I can read it and reply at my leisure. For instance, if someone calls me when I'm driving I'm almost never going to pick up and then who knows when I'm going to check the voice mail if they leave one. If they text me while I'm driving I'm still not going to check it while driving but when I stop I can get the message quick.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2011
    Look at it from the other side too, why not have a phone that handles texts? I was just recently shopping around for cell phone plans and the cost of a text package is pretty insignificant.

Actually that is a part of it. I do not own a Cellular phone. So what I have to think about is is the price of a plan and phone going to be offset by it's convenience. And for me it would be facilitating a convenience, as far as I see, for others.

Andy wrote: »
    lol3.gif welcome to 10 years ago. Texting is growing more than emailing. You can stick in the mud, or be smart and be wherever clients are going to be. Text, Facebook, Twitter, Email, phone, it's all good for me :)

Ha! Cute! Barely ten years ago I swore to anyone who'd listen I was D.O.N.E. with being on the leading edge of technology! The Software I had to use for my business was expensive (Even today makes Adobe Suites looks cheap!) and had to be updated regularly as well as attending schools over and over to keep me in the loop. Yet the demographic I was immersed in was Poor, naturally suspicious of outsiders, and very rural. Cell phone signals were only found by and large on top of the mountains within which we dwelled: Can you hear me now? comes to mind.

The place I live now is taking me awhile to understand. I don't have a customer base and haven't been actively pursuing one. I've been busy in other aspects of the whole.

Interesting place though. You can see signs with Fried Chicken Gizzards 6 for $3.99, displayed outside Mom-n-Pop convenience stores. And the refrigerated section of the local Grocer has Chitlins by the gallon in full view!
    tom wise