Options

5DMK2 V 40D same lens settings?

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited March 12, 2011 in Cameras
I have never seen a direct comparison of the Canon 5 MK 2 and the Canon 40Ds output using the same lens and settings. Ok i didnt look to hard for them online.
The reason for this is that when i am going to buy a new lens for my cameras i hope that it can show simular results on both given the 40d will be used as a backup.
The images captured on both cameras wil inevetably be different when i go to print size but this dosent bother me.
Is there an L lens or equivilent that works great on both bodies?
I was thinking of buying 24-70 F2.8.

Regards
Patrick.:D

Comments

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    Every L works great on every body... not sure what you're asking. The 24-70 will be amazing on both the 5D2 and the 40D.

A google search "5d2 vs 40d" brings up comparisons.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited March 12, 2011
    If you want a visual comparison of focal lengths, FF vs crop, you might try the following:

http://lens-reviews.com/Technical-Talk/Technical-Talk/lens-field-of-view-visualisation-tool.html

Select FF first, I believe it is the default, then choose your focal length. Now click the desired crop for your camera, 1.6x in the case of the Canon 40D.

If you are shooting social situations I suggest that you really need "equivalence" for a true backup. For instance, for FF I generally use an EF 28-80mm, f2.8-f4L USM for my standard zoom and then back that up with the EF 24-85mm, f3.5-f4.5 USM. For a crop 1.6x/APS-C camera (I too have the Canon 40D) I use an EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM with a Sigma 18-50mm, f2.8 EX DC for backup. Each of these are standard/normal zooms for their respective formats.

In the case of the EF 24-70mm, f2.8L USM on a crop body like the 40D, it is similar to the FOV of a 38-112mm lens on a FF camera. The FOV of the wide-angle part of that lens on a crop camera is not very wide. I think you would feel cramped in some social situations especially indoors.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If you are shooting social situations I suggest that you really need "equivalence" for a true backup. For instance, for FF I generally use an EF 28-80mm, f2.8-f4L USM for my standard zoom and then back that up with the EF 24-85mm, f3.5-f4.5 USM. For a crop 1.6x/APS-C camera (I too have the Canon 40D) I use an EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM with a Sigma 18-50mm, f2.8 EX DC for backup. Each of these are standard/normal zooms for their respective formats.

I've wondered about those two, the 24-85 and the 28-80. Have you ever used a 28-105 3.5-4.5? Similar lens, though I think the 24-85 is better(?). And the 28-80, it seems like a great lens for the price of a 70-200 f4, but is the AF too slow without the ring-type USM?
  • Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    Whatever lens i choose will be used for portrait and landscape. Hard one there as i see so many comments on the values of each lens. I know i will have to go down the L route to get the best quality from my cameras.
    It is so hard to choose the right one that the statistics are blinding.
    I never had an L lens before and will look forward to better colour and sharpness and less vienetting.
    Most of my weekend work entails travelling around Ireland to Vintage Car and tractor shows. I do some features for the magazine too which involves some wide angle shots from inside the vehicles.
    Would i be asking too much of a lens to do some portrait work as well?
    I hope not.
    Thanks for your replies and in the coming months i will buy some nice glass but for now i have to buy Canons cheapest lens just to get the 5dmk2 on the road.
    Regards
    Patrick:D
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2011
    I've wondered about those two, the 24-85 and the 28-80. Have you ever used a 28-105 3.5-4.5? Similar lens, though I think the 24-85 is better(?). And the 28-80, it seems like a great lens for the price of a 70-200 f4, but is the AF too slow without the ring-type USM?

The EF 24-85mm is an "OK" lens. It has pretty good contrast and color but you need to stop down for sharpness. It would not make a good primary lens but for a backup it's usable.

The EF 28-80mmL is a very old design and Canon no longer supports or services it. It has strong barrel distortion at the wide end but not as bad as the EF 24-105mmL, for example. Color, contrast and sharpness are very much "L" and I like it a lot. I was concerned about the f4 at the long end affecting AF but the lens still has enough contrast at the long end that it has not been a problem with the 1D MKII body. I do think that the "L" version does have ring USM but it is not up to current standards. It is unique in having a "Fly-By-Wire" manual focus. It is still fast enough for social situations that I will not replace it until it fails. These are typically in the $500-$650USD range.

Some people have used the EF 28-105mm, f3.5-f4.5 II USM professionally and gotten good results. The earlier versions are not said to be quite as nice. Yes, I think that the EF 24-85mm is marginally better.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=302&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=119&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0
    ziggy53
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    Whatever lens i choose will be used for portrait and landscape. Hard one there as i see so many comments on the values of each lens. I know i will have to go down the L route to get the best quality from my cameras.
    It is so hard to choose the right one that the statistics are blinding.
    I never had an L lens before and will look forward to better colour and sharpness and less vienetting.
    Most of my weekend work entails travelling around Ireland to Vintage Car and tractor shows. I do some features for the magazine too which involves some wide angle shots from inside the vehicles.
    Would i be asking too much of a lens to do some portrait work as well?
    I hope not.
    Thanks for your replies and in the coming months i will buy some nice glass but for now i have to buy Canons cheapest lens just to get the 5dmk2 on the road.
    Regards

I think the 24-70 is a good choice for the 5DMKII for what you want to shoot.
    Not so much for the 40D.

Your looking for one lens to do it all, and I can say with some confidence the lens doesn't exist.
    A 24-70 for the 5DMKII and a 17-50 on the 40D will give you about the same results in your shots.

Maybe a 17-40L would do the trick for you.
    17mm on the 5DMKII for those inside the car shots, 40mm on the 40D for portraits.
    Of course you lose a stop of light with that lens as opposed to the 24-70.

It seems like when you own a full frame and a crop frame camera, you always have to compromise somewhere
    with your lens selection.
    That's why I have different lens kits for these 2 different cameras.

Good luck in your quest.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2011
    Ok justa quick question. Im minutes away from buying a Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II and i wanted to know if this lens is stuck pernamently on f1.8 or does it go up to f8 or higher.:D I should have said i want to buy it for my 5DMK2.

Regards
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2011
    All modern lenses have the capability of stopping down their aperture (with the exception of mirror designs). The lens description only shows the maximum aperture as a reference. Oddly, Canon doesn't show you the minimum aperture but I have that lens and it can be adjusted from f1.8 to f22.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2011
    Thanks. I will go ahead and this will be my first lens. I can use it for the video feature of the 5dmk2 as well. Thanks for that. When i am on my next shoot i will post some pictures to let you all know how i get on with this lens. Beggars cant be choosers.

Regards
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    Thanks. I will go ahead and this will be my first lens. I can use it for the video feature of the 5dmk2 as well. Thanks for that. When i am on my next shoot i will post some pictures to let you all know how i get on with this lens. Beggars cant be choosers.

Regards

You are not in beggar class if you have the 5DII!rolleyes1.gif

I think a 50mm is a very good starting point for both FF and crop.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix