Options

The Sony NEX-5 thread

GeekGeek Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited March 14, 2011 in Cameras
Is anyone else out there playing with the NEX-3 or NEX-5?

Heard anything about the lens release schedule?

1147065374_SLMBf-M.jpg

I'd really like to see the 18-200 lens in person
B384D197BB2C451895DBB0CD1D95EB95.jpg
cheers,
Edward in Colorado

Comments

• Options
    gmjphotosgmjphotos Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    I've had a NEX-5 with the stock pancake lens - and swiftly lost it on Dec. 31st. After a month of sulking over it, I bought a NEX-3 kit with the 18-55mm and 16mm pancake lens at my local Best Buy.

Since I don't particularly care for 1080p, my videos are 99.9% used on the web, and the photo fun factor of the X-5 is identical to the X-3, the only difference remains to be the body. NEX-5 magnesium alloy, NEX-3 plastic - but also lighter in weight.

Overall, I love it as a back camera, a fun camera when I'm on the go and don't feel like/want to pull my 7D out, etc.

It's well worth the investment; i've come to miss it more than I thought after I lost the first one. From my side, a big thumbs up!

Mike

Mike - GMJPhotos
    www.gmjphotos.com
    Canon 7D - 70-200 f/2.8 IS | 85 f/1.8 | 28-135 f/3.5 and still the dire need for better glass
  • Options
    Silver ThunderbirdSilver Thunderbird Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 9, 2011
    Funny that you should ask ... Sony announced that they E-mount will be open to all makers with free specs. Zeiss and others are already on board.

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2011/02/08/zeiss-cosina-sigma-and-tamron-nex-e-mount-future/
  • Options
    LinuxLinux Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 13, 2011
    I have had this camera now for nearly 2 months and love it. I got myself the canon adapter to use Canon lenses too. Quite fantastic and I don't anywhere without this camera. It has become my companion. So light and versatile!

Ah yes .. I am a total beginner and been learning and reading a lot lately. This camera is just perfect for me.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2011
    I picked up the 18-200mm lens today.

Question: Is there any reason for me to keep my 18-55 lens? Is there any situation where the 18-55 would work better than the 18-200 (other than physical size)?

1214093367_8RimR-L.jpg
    cheers,
    Edward in Colorado
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited March 12, 2011
    I would definitely hold on to the 18-55mm until you've had a chance to test the qualities of the 18-200mm. You may find the original lens is more practical for some of your needs.

Please do get back to us once you've had a chance to test the new 18-200mm, f3.5-6.3 OSS "E" series lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2011
    I'm slowly learning the camera. Every time I learn a "new trick' it amazes me.

Last night I was shooting in super-low light (I could barely see my subjects) using the "hand held twilight mode".
    The shutter would open & close anywhere from 2-5 times and then the camera would merge the photos together automatically and come out with a remarkably low-noise image! bowdown.gif (getting the cat to sit still for more than a second was a different challenge :D )

I also learned (after beating my head against a wall all day) that the auto-HDR function is disabled if you are shooting "RAW+jpg". It only works with JPG only.
    cheers,
    Edward in Colorado
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2011
    These two photos are straight from the camera taken using the hand held twilight mode with multiple images merged in the camera.
    The cat was under the desk, 11pm at night with a very dim room. The photos make the room look 10x brighter than it actually was (I don't own a light meter to give any real values; but look at the size of those pupils :D ).
    The only light in the room in the 2nd image was a computer monitor's glow which you can see reflecting on the wall in the pupils.
    Using the 18-200 lens - first one zoomed out all the way second one zoomed in all the way.
    I had to manually focus the images as the auto focus was not able to figure it out.

1214811922_7EaEa-XL.jpg

1214811985_HQTQn-XL.jpg
    cheers,
    Edward in Colorado
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2011
    Does anyone know how well these e-mount lenses will stand up to vibration?

My understanding is that all of the image stabilization technology is in the lens itself?

The reason I ask is that one of the main things I do with this camera is carry it in a pelican case while riding offroad on my adventure motorcycle.
    Even well padded in the foam, it is going to be shaken and jarred extensively while powered off and stored.

Am I going to have any issues with the 18-200mm's internals falling apart?

1214093311_96SqD-M.jpg

1197713171_E7buv-M.jpg

1024672258_7iZiA-L.jpg
    cheers,
    Edward in Colorado
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited March 13, 2011
    Geek wrote: »
    Does anyone know how well these e-mount lenses will stand up to vibration?

My understanding is that all of the image stabilization technology is in the lens itself?

The reason I ask is that one of the main things I do with this camera is carry it in a pelican case while riding offroad on my adventure motorcycle.
    Even well padded in the foam, it is going to be shaken and jarred extensively while powered off and stored.

Am I going to have any issues with the 18-200mm's internals falling apart?

The exact technology used for the Sony OSS is not known and this is first generation technology so there is no history of use.

I'm sure you're aware that your knees provide the best form of shock absorption on your motorcycle. If there is any way you can carry the camera and lens on your person, that's the best place for delicate electronics.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    The next time I toss my arse over the handlebars.. the last thing I want is 3 pounds of plastic & aluminum on my person creating an impact point between my skeleton and the ground.

It'll have to survive in the pelican case :D
    cheers,
    Edward in Colorado