Options

DSS #72 critique?

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited March 15, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
"underneath the Angels"

1214048288_nMj8Y-M.jpg

I think this works better in panorama, but I wanted to get some quick prints made so I quickly put together an 8x10 format. For the photo challenge I can change the proportions when I get more time to sit down and play.

Any suggestions? I'm on my laptop and it's got a really bright screen, so I can't always judge levels well except by histogram.

Thanks!

(In terms of single shots, I actually like the shots I got last week, but they predate the challenge period.)

1214043722_sbLgj-S.jpg1214044100_FE3XX-S.jpg
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    Very... very cool. The only critique I could give, and take it with a HUGE grain of salt, is to crop some of the space off the bottom since the flight sequence is in the upper-half of the frame.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2011
    silversx80 wrote: »
    Very... very cool. The only critique I could give, and take it with a HUGE grain of salt, is to crop some of the space off the bottom since the flight sequence is in the upper-half of the frame.

I totally agree with you, but I was trying to get a quick print made locally, and so I threw this together quickly in 8x10. I've had little time to play, but I do have a panorama version in mind with the bottom cropped out. Thanks.
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    Love the first shot!
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    very nice idea. can't wait to see the final. it looks great thus far, and a pano would be even better. the levels for the angels and sky look ok by me. same goes for the ground, although the relative brightness seems a bit distracting (might be remedies just with cropping)
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    round 2-
    Thanks for the comments and advice.

I think this would also be my final print proportion.

1215572491_ZvLgT-M.jpg
    I'm not sure if I should leave more open space to the right of the final plane.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    These shots are just sweet! I like the pano crop, but I also like the 8x10 crop - it gives a sense of where you were. As far as the space to the right, I'd match the space on the left and possibly a smidge more, since that is the direction they are headed. Very nice shots - as are the ones you put in the mini this time!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Great shots! I think I like the first one cropped most.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Fantastic shot - will be hard to beat!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Fantastic shot - will be hard to beat!

I agree--fantastic shot--doesn't even look real. I have never seen such a POV before, meaning usually I see such shots from underneath, this looks more like you are on a mountain and they are in front of you, not so much underneath no?

THe shot is so good though that it may not matter.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2011
    I agree--fantastic shot--doesn't even look real. I have never seen such a POV before, meaning usually I see such shots from underneath, this looks more like you are on a mountain and they are in front of you, not so much underneath no?

THe shot is so good though that it may not matter.

Oh, yeah, I was under them. I was on their training ground between their targets. It was crazy. I had to kind of play with the perspective to make the compilation. They were doing diving banking turns, practically right on top of me. By the time they reached the apex of their turns, they were so close to the ground, I was shooting nearly horizontally, frantically zooming out and hoping the XTI could keep up. I shot several series of turns, this is the only one the XTI could focus and shoot fast enough. I was wishing for my other camera, but it wasn't feasible for this time. I posted some of the other shots I took in the 'other cool shots', but didn't get any feedback. I'll try to post some of the other shots I took that shows the planes in better context of their surrounding. The background I shot from a slightly higher perspective, still on their training ground, but none of the desert floor shots had enough angle to use for the compilation.