Options

Morocco!

lnormlnorm Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited March 15, 2011 in Journeys
My fiancé and I recently returned from an amazing visit to Morocco. This was our first visit to Northern African and after visiting a few European cities, we loved the cultural shock!

Before going I did a bit of research on what to expect as a photographer and also as a general tourist. I got them impression that it would be similar to travelling in Vietnam in terms of personal safety, being bugged to buy things/having to pay to take photos etc. etc.

I'm pleased to say that it wasn't as bad as we expected. I was careful and tried not to draw undue attention to myself by waiving large zoom lenses about - this gave me a chance to use my smaller kit lenses which don't get much use nowdays. I think they did a very capable job. For those interested, the full album is over here http://sun-and-snow.smugmug.com/Africa/Morocco/15837633_mELDT

We spent three days staying in the Medina (old town) of Marrakech - about five minutes walk from the main square, the Jemaa Ela Fna Place. This place is amazing, looking down on it from above is like looking at a Where's Wally scene!

1188217553_Sy5kK-L.jpg

When you look a bit closer though, you can find pockets of quietness
1188191445_AkTcY-L.jpg

I did give the performers below 10 dirhams (just over $US1) to take some shots but found that they then left me in peace to take quite a few photos.

1188198178_2eRgE-L.jpg

It's at night time that this place really comes alive with food sellers popping up everywhere - the first two photos below were taken while my camera was casually resting on the table.

1188186030_v7kKf-L.jpg

1188197446_wqT8P-L.jpg

1188197201_MavUF-L.jpg

We spent many hours exploring the Marrakech souks and came away with a few special purchases. The two photos below were shot from the hip as we were walking by - this was the first time I have used this technique and while I did get quite a few shots of the sky or the ground, the two photos below have encouraged me to keep trying with this method.
1188188992_xSqHc-L.jpg

8. 1188189601_57Ner-L.jpg

After the hectic pace of Marrakech we then retreated to the coastal town of Essaouira for a few days. This place was so relaxed and we could have definitely spent more time here. I'd love to return one day and learn to windsurf. The old part of this town is characterised by it's white washed walls and blue doors/window frames.

1189205792_wAYrN-L.jpg

The photo below is probably my favourite from the whole trip - despite not really screaming 'Morocco'.
1188212986_MYpJp-L.jpg

While staying in Essaouira, we travelled to a horse and camel ranch just outside of the town where we were treated to a great camel walk along the beach followed by an amazing homecooked chicken tagine! I couldn't help but finish off with this shot of 'Aram' the camel.

1188231492_Wueu8-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    Great pics and summary report! Does indeed look like a lovely place to visit. iloveyou.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2011
    aj986s wrote: »
    Great pics and summary report! Does indeed look like a lovely place to visit. iloveyou.gif

Thanks so much for taking the time to look and for your kind comments!
  • Options
    ruexp2ruexp2 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    Number 8-10 did it for me. The whole gallery was amazing on SM with color and stories. Now I don't have to go to Morocco. Peace
    Canon 7D
    Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 VC
    Tamron 70-300mm F/4-5.6 VC
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Nexto eXtreme Image backup device 160GB
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2011
    ruexp2 wrote: »
    Number 8-10 did it for me. The whole gallery was amazing on SM with color and stories. Now I don't have to go to Morocco. Peace

glad you enjoyed them!
  • Options
    choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    all of the pix are beautiful - i wish to visit this place one day as well.
    did you use the tripod for any of the night images?
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    Great pics! #3 & #11 are my favs.
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2011
    all of the pix are beautiful - i wish to visit this place one day as well.
    did you use the tripod for any of the night images?

My tripod didn't even make it to Morocco - we flew there on Ryanair and while they have cheap flights, they hit you with cost of each piece of luggage. We therefore only checked in one piece and I was keen to save some room for shopping!

The photo looking down on the square (number 6) was taken by resting the camera on the railing of the cafe we were in. The other night shots were just taken with the camera was sitting on the table.
  • Options
    IntrepidBerkeleyExplorerIntrepidBerkeleyExplorer Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Another View of the Marrakesh Circus Square
    Wonderful stills.

Marrakesh appears no different from when I was there in 1999.

Here is a YouTube clip of the square from then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yybOMmENqQ

Dave
  • Options
    FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    Great Pictures!
    Love #2 especially! Just wondering if you would consider removing the garbage from within the pictures! I know sometimes these elements add to pictures of this kind, but I think a clean picture would be much more appealing in this case!

Just My Opinion! - You may not want to spend the time to do it as well.

All are great shots! You have a great eye for composition!

Brady:D
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2011
    Freezframe wrote: »
    Love #2 especially! Just wondering if you would consider removing the garbage from within the pictures! I know sometimes these elements add to pictures of this kind, but I think a clean picture would be much more appealing in this case!

Just My Opinion! - You may not want to spend the time to do it as well.

All are great shots! You have a great eye for composition!

Looking at #2 again, I can see how removing the garbage would improve it - might try and give it a go in the next few days. Thanks very much for your advice and kind comments.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2011
    Hope I'm not breaking the rules by posting this image again but had a quick go at removing the rubbish from # 2 as suggested. It's a bit rough but overall I believe it's an improvement

1208576988_jxGCi-L.jpg
  • Options
    FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2011
    Well some might disagree, but.
    Even though there is a vast open space the subject now get even more attention which is the focus of this shot. You can always find fault, and say it's to bad you could not have found a different point of perspective, but in defense he may have moved by then!

Great Shot ! Cover Magazine Worthy!

Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    Thanks for sharing your trip with us. The post got my attention since I lived in Morroco as a small child. My only memories are of the family photos viewed over the years. Yours are much better :D Nice job of capturing a sense of the place through your intimate shots.
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Fantastic set of photos, camel the kid and colorful shawls all awesome :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Great images! Number 8... the colors in it I love it! The one you PP'd of the child in BW I love that too! Thanks for posting these!
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    I was there in '76. Your pics are exactly like I remember that beautiful country!