Options

#72 - Underneath Lights at O'Hare

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
edited March 22, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
3 am pick up to take a 6 am flight + 3.5 hour layover at O'Hare + flying United = unexpected opportunity to photograph the light display overhead while taking the moving walkway to the United concourse.

Tripod was in checked luggage unfortunately, so I still need to see if I got anything good enough to enter, but this seemed like a great way to make "lemonade" out of the terrible flight arrangements. Will try to post a couple of shots for input later.

I was somewhat startled to find a security guy suddenly at my side, but he just wanted to talk cameras :D

Interesting to see where folks are going with this theme at this point.

Cheers,
Gretchen

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Marvelous! I can't wait to see what you got!

I have spent a fun couple of hours photographing there. I think people thought I was nuts. I kept going back and forth.

If you like, you can see mine here: http://www.seewhatshesaw.com/Vacation/Pittsburgh-Nov-2009/10327385_v5d5S#714072156_hoGy3
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Great idea. Unfortunately due to too many work bags, this trip the DSLR is at home. I always wonder if there could be an accidental meetup at O'Hare with how many Grinners travel.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2011
    7 Shots of Lights at O'Hare
    I only have access to Picasa for photo editing just now, so have done a quick tweak of the jpg files. May have time to process one of the RAW files when we get back home - just in time to meet the deadline. Would be great to know which of the approaches to this theme might work best. I may try to tweak one of these further - while on the road - just in case our flight is delayed or something. (I only have a small netbook with me, so some or all of these may be softer and/or noisier than I realize.)

@WhatSheSaw - I looked at some of your photos of the walkway and they are great! It was very busy when I was there and one of the walkways was shut down for repair. I love the way you got the reflected colors above and below.

@Bradford Benn - I did see another photographer there, and he had a tripod. He may belong to dgrin but he was gone when I came back with my "good camera" so I didn't talk with him.

Looking forward to getting some input on these. Some just show the "overhead" and others supply some context. The treatment isn't subtle but Picasa is rather limited.... Even if none work out for the challenge, it was a fun way to spend some time waiting for our next flight!

Thanks,
    Gretchen

P.S. Btw, I installed the Tapatalk app on my iPhone the other day to make it easier to read the dgrin threads, and it is great! Thank you Smug Mug and the fellow who first suggested it on dgrin.

1. Lights Above Walkway
    1216434578_9yqXN-M.jpg

2. River of Light Overhead
    1216434451_rK5uP-L.jpg

3. Getting Out from Under
    1216434231_opueV-M.jpg

4. Walkway Reflected Overhead
    1216434305_U6q5M-M.jpg

5. Exit Strategy
    1216434191_VgG6P-L.jpg

6. Overhead
    1216434654_9bbeb-M.jpg

7. Over and Under
    1216434377_fzsHL-M.jpg
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    At first glance, my favorites are #2 and #7.
    2. I love the colors and the balance.
    7. I like the reflection and it did make me think above.

Great set! Nice place to come across for this challenge.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    Highly interesting captures. Nice values in each. Pleased to see your images.
    thumb.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    2 and 7 jumped out at me too, with #7 being my favorite!
    Great shots Gretchen!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    I have to say #2 and #7 with my lean towards #7 because of the colors and great reflection as you can see the whole body of the walking person.
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    #7, for sure. Nicely done!
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    #7 for me, too. I love that terminal. I also took lots of pictures the last time I was in it.
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2011
    I agree with 2 and 7, but also like 5 (with a top crop)! I love the electricity thing going on at the escalators.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2011
    Thank you all for the helpful input. I'll try to get #7 entered as soon as we get home. Sorry I don't have the MacBook (with Lightroom) with me now.

Just had a quick look at Santa Barbara, Ballard's Canyon up near Los Olivos, and Joshua Tree National Park the last few days. Lots of beautiful vistas!

Thanks,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    I vote for 7.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2011
    #7 clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

Well done!
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    Very nice images! I like #2 and #7 best!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    I definitely like #7 as well. Very nice!
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2011
    Netbook crashed and hotel computer won't let me navigate to smug mug, so I may not be able to enter this challenge after all. Hoping flights and home internet connection make it feasible.

Thanks again for the helpful feedback. At least I know which photo I will upload if it all works out!
  • Options
    AAABluestockingAAABluestocking Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    #7. for me too. It's so original and 'trippy'.

I couldn't resist the photo op there either. This is from a year and half ago (note DS is on 'Heelies'). Taken with my Lumix P&S ~ which I always have with me.

756642601_8HdSV-L.jpg
    My SmugMug Galleries
    Learn the various techniques to make all things possible and then choose deliberately which you actually want-rutt
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    Another vote for #7 - hope you can get it entered, it's a really cool shot & right on theme!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2011
    Arrived home about 2 hours ago and just entered this photo:

#7b Over and Under (RAW file edited in Lightroom)
    1224315024_RoyP9-M.jpg

I also tweaked number #2 to see what it would look like with Lightroom rather than Picasa processing and came up with this neon image.

#2b River of Light Overhead
    1224312834_S47Df-M.jpg

Any thoughts on how which you prefer (for this challenge or otherwise) after post-processing the RAW captures?

Thanks,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2011
    I still think #7 is great! I love the colors, the reflection, the single walker.
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    LOVE #7. It's just perfect for the challenge.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2011
    Thank you both for the thumbs up!
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    I like #7. My playing in the tunnel was not nearly as polished. Click for the video to play....
    1220345144_g5fzP-M.jpg
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2011
    I like #7. My playing in the tunnel was not nearly as polished. Click for the video to play....

Fun video and nice hat! Thanks for sharing this.

Not sure when they stopped playing music as well as the light show on the moving walkway, but I'm guessing it was sensory overload for too many people.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2011
    #7. for me too. It's so original and 'trippy'.

I couldn't resist the photo op there either. This is from a year and half ago (note DS is on 'Heelies'). Taken with my Lumix P&S ~ which I always have with me.

756642601_8HdSV-S.jpg

Glad you had a chance to take this fun photo! I keep my Canon S90 ready for action when we are traveling but usually have the Canon 7D less accessible.