Options

Dss #72 - C&C please

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited March 16, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is not what I was thinking of for this challenge, but when I saw it, I decided to give it a try. My son's like #1... I tend to lean toward #2... but I like darker images.
Are any of them good enough or do I keep planning for my original idea? I really wish I could get just a couple of days of nice blue sky....

1.1215346369_32Jh3-M-3.jpg 2.1215346664_5QRVz-M-3.jpg

1215347029_qjQJi-M-3.jpg

Addition:
4. different crop of #3
1216147841_67Kb6-M.jpg

5. Brighter version of #3
1216212202_tEM7W-M.jpg

6. Color version of #1
1216666754_tzZAY-M.jpg

The gallery for this challenge is here

Comments

• Options
    oldtown_dreameroldtown_dreamer Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    i like them. great point of view. of the 3 i think i'm siding with your sons. somehow the brightness of the sky makes my eyes focus on the head of the dandelion.

- Diana
  • Options
    dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    clearly #1 for me. the portrait orientation and the brighter exposure makes the dandelion head much more prominent and imposing. less distraction from the sky. very nicely done.
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I like #2 a bit better, but they are very close. Both are really nice shots! It's like you had the world's tiniest camera. :)
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Seems I'm always against the grain (not intentionally), but I really like #3 - the soft colors add a lot of depth to the shot - and I think the details in the underside of the seed head add a lot for me. I like how the sky has the brightness and the blue/grey color, and on my monitor (and to my taste), you nailed the exposure - lots of highlights but nothing blown. Great shot!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I agree with Lillian - prefer #3. Like the soft background, but detail and colours in the dandelion head. Very imposing, having tried shooting grass from below to give a similar perspective, you have really taken this well.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I prefer the colored version too - they are all very nice.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I love #1, beautiful!thumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I like #3 the best. The color adds to the image. A nice underneath shot.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif. Being from Seattle, it reminds me of the Space Needle.
  • Options
    rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    I like #3 the best as well.... very interesting perspective.
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    Thanks for all of the feedback! Now the only problem is that it is 5 to 4 in favor of #3. (one for #2) That means I still have a choice to make.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    dnie wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the feedback! Now the only problem is that it is 5 to 4 in favor of #3. (one for #2) That means I still have a choice to make.

Well which one do you like best:D
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    ic4u wrote: »
    Well which one do you like best:D

lol... I like them both. Of course, my son says I should count their votes, which would put #1 in the lead.

Oh well, I am actually early this time. It gives me time to think about it and maybe I will get some more feedback.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    I am wondering if part of it is the crop on #3 that bothers me. I posted a different crop in the original post. I haven't decided if it helps or if losing the cloud darkness to the left hurts.

I am still leaning towards #1 I guess, but getting more used to #3 gradually. A part of it is the soft colors, which I know are appealing to other people but have never been to me. Interesting to try and look at things through the eyes of others and see what they see.

** Or maybe... take what you all like from each. The brightness of #1 and the color of #2. Hmmm... off to edit some more.
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    If it helps at all, I like #1 the best. Also, that's a great idea/shot.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Liked the base shot from the moment I looked at it. Admired its simplicity along with how you moved into sharp details.
    Much rests in the many many PP choices for what ever higher impact one can pull out. Totally eye of the beholder and
    super not easy to please all. I'd have a tough wrestle with that for certain.

Hope your able to easily decide once your upon it to your satisfaction. :D
    Michael
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Again, I'm different. I prefer #5. I like the contrast better and the sharpness of the wishie!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    Strange, the stem looks longer in the brighter of the first two. And I like the longer stem. I also like the portrait orientation.

I definitely favor the brighter ones. Blue sky may not be better than the clouds. Maybe up the contrast a bit to bring out the variability in the clouds? The clouds are more interesting in the last 3. Maybe play with the crop to get it to portrait.

If you do a reshoot, it might be interesting to get the brightest part of the sky behind the seed head - a natural vignette.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Liked the base shot from the moment I looked at it. Admired its simplicity along with how you moved into sharp details.
    Much rests in the many many PP choices for what ever higher impact one can pull out. Totally eye of the beholder and
    super not easy to please all. I'd have a tough wrestle with that for certain.

Hope your able to easily decide once your upon it to your satisfaction. :D
    It certainly isn't as easy as you would think with so many opinions and options of ways to go with the PP... doesn't help that I just like the picture no matter how I seem to process it.
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Again, I'm different. I prefer #5. I like the contrast better and the sharpness of the wishie!
    I love the name "wishie" :D I've never heard them called that.
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Strange, the stem looks longer in the brighter of the first two. And I like the longer stem. I also like the portrait orientation.

I definitely favor the brighter ones. Blue sky may not be better than the clouds. Maybe up the contrast a bit to bring out the variability in the clouds? The clouds are more interesting in the last 3. Maybe play with the crop to get it to portrait.

If you do a reshoot, it might be interesting to get the brightest part of the sky behind the seed head - a natural vignette.
    You could be right about the stem. I probably used a different picture or cropped it different.

headscratch.gif Maybe I was going the wrong direction. I liked #1 for the long stem too... so maybe it in color will be the trick.

edit.... I think I like it! Between these two now... decisions, decisions
    1216666754_tzZAY-M.jpg1216188169_t4AKY-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2011
    dnie wrote: »
    edit.... I think I like it! Between these two now... decisions, decisions
    1216666754_tzZAY-M.jpg1216188169_t4AKY-M.jpg

Hey Donna, between these two, I prefer the one on the left that's brighter. I think the portrait orientation is better for this image (IMO)
    Very nice!
    Karin

• Options
    edited March 16, 2011
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions from everyone. I tried to take from all and use all the things people liked to make the end product. I don't know if I accomplished that, I but I like it. All the help is so valuable!

SeascapeS... I borrowed your name for them for the title. I have a feeling I will always call them wishie's now.