Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    Bluetooth works with Skype and others as well, its simply an audio input/output choice. as long as you can pair with mac, it works. I have paired two bluetooth headsets and used both with skype (not at same time of course)
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    Talked to Sam last night on Skype, no problem.

I think the issue is whether or not both participants in the conversation have IM accounts with the same provider. I had an AIM account, Sam has a Jabber account, and we couldn't connect.

I set up a Jabber account last night and can 'see' Sam's icon so later on we'll try it again. There's a 4-hour time lag between California and Maritime Canadarolleyes1.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited February 21, 2011
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Talked to Sam last night on Skype, no problem.

I think the issue is whether or not both participants in the conversation have IM accounts with the same provider. I had an AIM account, Sam has a Jabber account, and we couldn't connect.

I set up a Jabber account last night and can 'see' Sam's icon so later on we'll try it again. There's a 4-hour time lag between California and Maritime Canadarolleyes1.gif

Did it. We managed a pleasant iChat conversation this afternoon and found both the sound and video quality superior to Skype. clap.gifclap
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

Ceci and I were able to chat using Skype, and this am using ichat. I really do believe the image quality and even the voice is better using ichat.

Not sure why but it's a better experience.

She and I both have Mac and ichat. My next chalange is to video chat with a windows user using ichat on my end. :D

At least I am now having some success. This is better than Dick Tracy's wrist radio!

Sam
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    yAy! clap.gifclapclap.gif

Glad it worked out.
    edited February 22, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

Ceci and I were able to chat using Skype, and this am using ichat. I really do believe the image quality and even the voice is better using ichat.

Not sure why but it's a better experience.

She and I both have Mac and ichat. My next chalange is to video chat with a windows user using ichat on my end. :D

At least I am now having some success. This is better than Dick Tracy's wrist radio!

Sam

thumb.gifthumb
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    This is better than Dick Tracy's wrist radio!

For us to get that, all Apple would have to do is add FaceTime to the iPod nano...
    http://www.cultofmac.com/geek-trend-the-ipod-nano-becomes-the-iwatch/59195
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    I actually tried the Nano as a watch for a couple of days. It didn't work for me as it was too big and the cuffs of my shirt couldn't fit over it. :-/ Disappointing.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited February 24, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    I actually tried the Nano as a watch for a couple of days. It didn't work for me as it was too big and the cuffs of my shirt couldn't fit over it. :-/ Disappointing.

There's also some necklace thing that holds a nano, FWIW.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited February 24, 2011
    So I (finally) did the big 10.6.4 ---> 10.6.6 update today. 1.4GB in files (expanded greatly thereafter). Took 25 minutes to DL. Then about the same time to uncompress and finish installing. One of the updates, the EFI firmware, needed the computer to be shut down to activate - then restarted with power button down until the blinky and the beep, then released, so the progress bar shows on the screen and does its own thing. All went well until the computer restarted and, um, my monitor did not. I couldn't view the progress bar that I was supposed to wait for to finish doing its progressing things. Damn. I did nothing for 20 minutes and then did a hard shutdown.

Right before this update, I went into Energy Saver and shut down all sleep processes for the machine and the monitor, and the same in screen saver, so that couldn't have been the cause. Every now and then, the ViewSonic just isn't recognized at power up by the Mac. Not a huge problem, but when there's a big update, then it is a problem.

All is well now, as the firmware seems to have installed properly. If it hadn't, the machine wouldn't have booted up, or so I'm told by my friends at AppleCare. Is the firmware similar to a bios update in the PC world?

Now its time to play around with my newest Mac App Store Dock thingy.
    My Smugmug
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    Lion!
    David_S85 wrote: »

Is the firmware similar to a bios update in the PC world?

It is similar.

Check out the preview of Lion. It's rad! Lots of cool new stuff. I can't decide if I'm most excited about the new systemwide gestures, the auto-save/resume/versioning thing, or Mission Control (which looks to be the evolution of Exposé).

http://www.apple.com/macosx/lion/
    edited February 24, 2011
    Lion. The Versions feature seems to conflict with the feature of Auto Save

Auto Save
    Lion saves changes in the working document instead of creating additional copies, making the best use of available disk space.

Versions
    Mac OS X Lion automatically creates a version of the document each time you open it and every hour while you’re working on it. If you need to revert to an older version or retrieve part of a document, Versions shows you the current document next to a cascade of previous versions

Full screen apps are welcome. I miss that from Windows. And how Safari got away without a full screen mode all this time is curious.

I wonder if my MagicMouse will assume the newest multi-gestures?
    My Smugmug
    edited February 24, 2011
    Lion. The Versions feature seems to conflict with the feature of Auto Save

Full screen apps are welcome. I miss that from Windows. And how Safari got away without a full screen mode all this time is curious.

I wonder if my MagicMouse will assume the newest multi-gestures?

Somehow, I bet they will have worked out any conflicts between Auto-Save and Versions before Lion is released to the public. rolleyes1.gif

I hope the full-screen thing works similarly to, but better than, Aperture's full-screen mode.

I'm fairly confident that the hardware capable of recognizing multi-touch will work with the new system-wide multi-touch stuff. The current system-wide multi-touch stuff works with my 2008 MBP's trackpad. It seems like it's mostly about making it all consistent, adding a few new gestures, and adding nice animations.
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    Possibly Selling MacBook Air
    Thinking about off-loading my MacBook Air with the solid-state drive. It is in excellent condition. I have the box as well as the external CD/DVD superdrive. I may go with just an iPad, or I might go with a MacBook Pro.

So - anyone with an interest?

1199140515_kV2t2-L.jpg
    edited February 26, 2011
    I don't see any conflict between Auto Save and Versions. Pro video apps have had both features for years. Auto Save means you don't have to remember to save. Although Apple's adding some interesting other aspects to it, it looks like. I think that line about "instead of making additional copies" is just to clarify what it is, and distinguish it from Versions. If I am not mistaken, Auto Save in MS Office apps can make a mess of your hard drive (I can't remember, I turned that off in Office), so that might be why Apple decided they need to be clear that they don't do that and simply do a normal save.

Versions, of course, will be very valuable for laptop users who are not always near their Time Machine versioned backup. Or for people who do not use Time Machine.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    The iPad 2 is much more comfortable to hold than v1. Now it can truly replace my Kindle.
    edited March 17, 2011
    A video demonstration of the current state of an Lion 10.7 alpha candidate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mL1k4Zwf1I

I suspect this vid won't be up on youtube for long before Apple pulls it.
    My Smugmug
    edited March 17, 2011
    So the other shoe is dropping. My 2 year old WinXP Asus netbook is beginning to bug out. Only boots to BIOS mode and takes some handholding to fully load windows plus manual clock settings and such. Meh. I could become a two mac family in the next couple months. I'll probably wait for Lion to come out so I will only need to update one machine.
    My Smugmug
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    A video demonstration of the current state of an Lion 10.7 alpha candidate. I suspect this vid won't be up on youtube for long before Apple pulls it.

Well that video seals it for me. I gotta go get a Magic Trackpad for my iMac. Way too many touch interfaces in Lion to use just an old mouse.
    edited March 17, 2011
    I expect the Magic Mouse will also inherit some new gestures. Nothing will be enough for me until I can give a web page the finger and it instantly reverts to my home page.
    My Smugmug
    edited March 21, 2011
    Cr*p Cr*p Cr*p Cr*p Cr*p Cr*p
    All of a sudden the MacBook Air will not charge. I attach the connector, and the small green lights do not come on. The adapter is fine (it worked on my wife's MacBook). I have about 45 minutes of power remaining on the battery - and I can't recharge it. Last time I ran coconut it showed the battery health condition was fine, too.

Edit - this may be the connector on the Air and not the battery. I just attached the power cable, and the lights came on. But then they went out again after a few minutes.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 21, 2011
    Do you have the correct charger? Can you try another charger? I ask because there are several depending on the current required.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 21, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    Do you have the correct charger? Can you try another charger? I ask because there are several depending on the current required.
    I am using the correct one. I tested it's functionality on the wife's computer and it works. It's not the correct one for the MacBook Pro, but at least it showed the green lights were on.

I used the wife's adapter and it's green lights do not come on when connected to the Air. I am getting closer to thinking the attachment on the Air is loose.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 22, 2011
    Could be. The other thing is it could be failing. I asked because one of my chargers went in a similar way. It would charge a 13" laptop but not the Macbook Pro it was meant to run. Time for a genius bar visit :)
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 22, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    Could be. The other thing is it could be failing. I asked because one of my chargers went in a similar way. It would charge a 13" laptop but not the Macbook Pro it was meant to run. Time for a genius bar visit :)
    After some additional fiddling I believe it is the connector on the computer. Slight movement of the cable will cause the charging to cease. This does not occur when using the cable on the wife's computer. Once the cable is in-place correctly (a lot of minor shifts and waits to see the lights come on) the batter will charge.

Off to see a genius....
  • pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    I'm researching dual external monitors for my new macbook pro. What are people currently using and how is the performance. I have heard that the USB adaptor for the second monitor can be less than optimal performance.
    edited April 8, 2011
    If your new MacBook Pro has the new Thunderbolt port, in theory there should be adapters available in the future that will let you use the high bandwidth of that port to drive multiple DisplayPort monitors far more powerfully than any USB solution. Unfortunately, those Thunderbolt products are not out yet...
  • pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    I have thunderbolt. I wonder how long it will be before peripherals will start showing up.
    edited April 10, 2011
    So - all you iPad 2 owners - do your apps crash constantly? A lot of the apps on mine crash all the time. Truly annoying.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    RogersDA wrote: »
    So - all you iPad 2 owners - do your apps crash constantly? A lot of the apps on mine crash all the time. Truly annoying.

Nope.