Phase 3 - New homepages, cat/subcat, communities, etc

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
edited September 9, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Ok, so Phase 3 is in heavy testing and should be done tonight. It includes the new CSS stuff on homepages, category pages, subcategory pages, your control panel, and community pages.

JT has posted more CSS details for your perusal. If you've already customized the new gallery styles (Phase 2), your site will probably just pick up the new stuff and work.

Here's a preview image (click to see Original):

34355596-L.jpg

Now, the next question is: when should we release it? We could probably do it tonight, but maybe you all would like some more time? :)

I think good timeframes are Thursday (tonight), Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. I'm putting a poll on this thread so you can vote.

Any questions? Comments?

Don

When should we release Phase 3? 31 votes

Thursday (tonight)
45%
onethumb{JT}BenMatthew SavilleHam1jfriendjh4wvuBarbasdJWYkkidfallDodgeV83mmouseOakley 14 votes
Friday
6%
georgesrainforest1155 2 votes
Saturday
19%
arthillwholenewlightjamescaldermdgodfTechman1mrqcho 6 votes
Sunday
16%
DJ-S1Ben:::DlarkMike LaneXO-Studios 5 votes
Monday
12%
AndymuddykneesShimaBenA2 4 votes

Comments

• onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Thursday (tonight)
    onethumb wrote:
    Any questions? Comments?

Let me get this straight ... After 4 hours and hundreds of views, there are NO questions? NO comments?

We nailed it? It's perfect?

Don
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Thursday (tonight)
    onethumb wrote:
    Let me get this straight ... After 4 hours and hundreds of views, there are NO questions? NO comments?

We nailed it? It's perfect?

Don
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT!
    [edit] okay I guess that wasn't all that helpful, except to say that yes Don, you definitely just made a LOT of people very happy. When I saw "edit" next to "your bio" I almost cried with joy. (well you get the point)

However CSS seems to have changed a tad. I absolutely LOVE the new keywords look, but the title is still the old green and not the new #379D49 that I have chosen to use instead. I'm sure that's just a line of CSS though. And also, having the whole control panel also be this very controversial color might be a mistake as well, I liked the control panel all gray I think. But all in all, I'm absolutely digging everything. Way to go!
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Thursday (tonight)
    well, if you notice that keywords title is a link too, so:
    a.title {
    color: red;
    }
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT!
    [edit] okay I guess that wasn't all that helpful, except to say that yes Don, you definitely just made a LOT of people very happy. When I saw "edit" next to "your bio" I almost cried with joy. (well you get the point)

However CSS seems to have changed a tad. I absolutely LOVE the new keywords look, but the title is still the old green and not the new #379D49 that I have chosen to use instead. I'm sure that's just a line of CSS though. And also, having the whole control panel also be this very controvercial color might be a mistake as well, I liked the control panel all gray I think. But all in all, I'm absolutely digging everything. Way to go!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Thursday (tonight)
    {JT} wrote:
    well, if you notice that keywords title is a link too, so:
    a.title {
    color: red;
    }
    Got it!

Now, for the ULTIMATE in homepage customization, I'd LOVE to be able to switch from "Ti" thumbs to "Th" thumbs! Wouldn't THAT be pure heaven?

Thanks guys, you continue to rock. I don't know how you do it.

-Matt-

[edit]

#caption {text-align: center;} ...does not seem to work for me anymore...
  • yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    how about never...
    Hi.. I'm sure you have lots of good reasons why everything is changing, but for someone that does not understand html in the slightest, this is living hell.

I don't like the new look. At all. I'd like it to look exactly like it looked before. I understand that I can customise these things, but I have no idea how. Nor do I have the time to learn how to do html from scratch... I have 3 weddings and aobut 4000 images to edit this week alone... this really wasn't part of my time-table.

What on earth can I do to make it look like before, i.e. no green script, gallery photos back in the same place where they were before (they seem to be much wider spaced now) and when i go into subgalleries, they are all lined up in a row now, squooshed to the left hand side, no margin, nothing. I'd like them to be nice and centred again, like they were before. It all looks really really messy.

I have to send out links to galleries by tomorrow, and it looks so wrong right now, I can't possibly show this to my clients.

Please help.

Yvonne.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Monday
    wow - it looks really good :D and hey - lookie, now the text wraps around the bio photo clap.gif and i just totally dig the new ajax editing boxes. tres cool don.

wtg guys, thanks!
  • Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Saturday
    I just voted, but it's too late....it's already been implemented or so it seems.

Some things that were changed this past week appear to have come back (the lines & not centered boxes), so I'll be checking my code and changing them again this morning.

I've only been here a few weeks and I'm hoping this isn't the norm (I need to work on other things and not be changing HTML code every other week). Having said that, I am pleased with all the customization that is allowed here - so thank you for the flexibility! mwink.gif

Fred
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited September 2, 2005
    yvonne wrote:
    Hi.. I'm sure you have lots of good reasons why everything is changing, but for someone that does not understand html in the slightest, this is living hell.
    Hi Yvonne,

Ouch, I'm really sorry we put you in this position. This time we did our best to provide good documentation with examples of the most common things people want to do available by cut-and-paste:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/custom-colors

This enormously painful process has an even more enormous benefit, which is to make your site extremely customizable. We couldn't accomplish it without some disruption, but hopefully this is the last of it.

All the best,
    Baldy
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    You left out the "I don't care when you do it" option...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • samwisesamwise Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Hi Baldy, hope you're starting to feel better now thumb.gif

From following that link, it seems I can only change my galleries back to how it was yesterday if I'm a power or professional user - is that right?

Must admit, I'm not a fan of the grey background - much preferred the black.
    edited September 2, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Hi Yvonne,

Ouch, I'm really sorry we put you in this position. This time we did our best to provide good documentation with examples of the most common things people want to do available by cut-and-paste:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/custom-colors

This enormously painful process has an even more enormous benefit, which is to make your site extremely customizable. We couldn't accomplish it without some disruption, but hopefully this is the last of it.

All the best,
    Baldy
    Thanks for the link Baldy... I simply haven't had time to look through all the threads to find the answers, but I guess this will sort it for me. I'll look at it this weekend and if I still have problems, i'll come back.

Cheers, Yvonne
    edited September 2, 2005
    Thursday (tonight)
    yvonne wrote:
    Thanks for the link Baldy... I simply haven't had time to look through all the threads to find the answers, but I guess this will sort it for me. I'll look at it this weekend and if I still have problems, i'll come back.

Cheers, Yvonne
    Yvonne, if you're pressed for time and would really like to worry about learning this stuff later, just cut and paste this into your "stylesheet" box at the very bottom of your customize page. It will change all that green to the same light grey that your "www.ybphotographic.com" titlebar is.

.title {color: #C0C0C0;}
    a.title {color: #C0C0C0;}
    .nav { color: #C0C0C0}
    .imgBorderOn {border: solid 1px white ;}

Take care,
    -Matt-
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2005
    Yvonne, if you're pressed for time and would really like to worry about learning this stuff later, just cut and paste this into your "stylesheet" box at the very bottom of your customize page. It will change all that green to the same light grey that your "www.ybphotographic.com" titlebar is.

Take care,
    -Matt-
    Thanks so much Matt, for your quick solution for Yvonne. I was just screaming about the same thing. I had spent hours fixing my site on Thursday and then yesterday I looked and it had all changed. All that green was back.

I copied your code and pasted it in. Well, when I checked my special projects gallery under Art, it had white borders. Then I checked my Wild gallery under Animals and it had "green" borders. Why would that be? I'm going crazy. I want to get rid of all of that green. I want to get rid of every title that appears green and the green triangles in the shopping carts too.

I tried clicking the box for "hide owner and navigation" on some galleries. That gets rid of that "Susan Appel's gallery" but then you can't navigate out of the gallery. If I click on "your photos" up at the top, it takes me to the Smugmug Home page. Then if I click "your photos" on that page, it takes me back to my home page. That has got to be a bug. I tried it over and over. So I've read all the tips on this thread and changed my code box over and over. I still have green all over the place. I don't like all the dotted lines they added either. Why didn't they just leave things plain and simple?
    Please, can you help me?????

Edit:
    I took a lunch break and then came back. My thumbnails no longer have green borders. I guess it takes a while for Smugmug to work through all my galleries. Whew, that's one problem solved. But, I still have lots of green titles and green triangles in the shopping carts. If anyone can help, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
    edited September 5, 2005

Take care,
    -Matt-
    Matt, thanks for that, and for your email.

I'm still drowning in editing work but hope to be able to start addressing this stuff properly later on today or tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.. many thanks.
    Yvonne
  • DoozieLooDoozieLoo Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    Alot off topic...
    yvonne wrote:
    Matt, thanks for that, and for your email.

I'm still drowning in editing work but hope to be able to start addressing this stuff properly later on today or tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.. many thanks.
    Yvonne
    But I just have to jump in and ask the question I have asked before and didn't get any help for once!
    Anyway - Yvonne...HOW oh HOW were you able to get text in your pages? Are you using something else along w/ SmugMug? I have tried and tried to find the answer but can't. Somebody knew what they were doing when they did your site!
    I NEEEEEED some pages w/ text and hate that I had to purchase another hosting type website thing (see how literate I am) to go along w/ this just so I could have text on my site! (Which is not linked yet...)

Anyway - so so sorry to get off topic here, but I just HAD to know!

Thanks!

www.aimeepaynephotography.com (working on it again...)

OH...ON topic. I love that y'all work so hard to make it easier to customize! I am hoping it is alot easier to do some of the things I was unable to figure out before. I LOVE customizing! (Okay so I don't LOVE doing it...but I love that I can!).
    I appreciate all the e-mails and the links and instructions...when I feel I have the mental capacity to try again, I'll get busy w/ further customization! I hope its easier now for real!!!!
    Y'all are great!
    :curtsey Aimeé:noob
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    Sunday
    DoozieLoo wrote:
    But I just have to jump in and ask the question I have asked before and didn't get any help for once!
    Anyway - Yvonne...HOW oh HOW were you able to get text in your pages? Are you using something else along w/ SmugMug? I have tried and tried to find the answer but can't. Somebody knew what they were doing when they did your site!
    I NEEEEEED some pages w/ text and hate that I had to purchase another hosting type website thing (see how literate I am) to go along w/ this just so I could have text on my site! (Which is not linked yet...)

Anyway - so so sorry to get off topic here, but I just HAD to know!

Thanks!

www.aimeepaynephotography.com (working on it again...)

OH...ON topic. I love that y'all work so hard to make it easier to customize! I am hoping it is alot easier to do some of the things I was unable to figure out before. I LOVE customizing! (Okay so I don't LOVE doing it...but I love that I can!).
    I appreciate all the e-mails and the links and instructions...when I feel I have the mental capacity to try again, I'll get busy w/ further customization! I hope its easier now for real!!!!
    Y'all are great!
    It's not impossible to have a false welcome page or even a series of pages like yvonne has (nice by the way!) using only your smugmug account. I've got some things in the works that will show you exactly what I mean and how to do it. It really isn't all that difficult.

That said, I am for hire and can do it for you mwink.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/