Options

Lacrosse Tips

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited March 18, 2011 in Sports
A local HS girls' lacrosse coach wants me to shoot her games. I've done this for field hockey and soccer, but truthfully know very little about LAX. Unfortunately, all the games start at 7:15 PM, so I'll be shooting under HS lighting conditions. I guess I'll just end up rendering in B&W since most of the HS field lighting is so crappy. Anyway, are there any hints y'all can pass along that are LAX specific?
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Options
    VitaminVVitaminV Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    Position Yourself
    My suggestion would be to see which team spends more time in their offensive end and position yourself behind that goal maybe 30 degrees or so off to one side. Action around the goal tends to be a bit slower, and from behind the net, a good amount of action will be coming straight for you. If you're shooting JPEG and correcting for the lights anyway, maybe you can do a 1/64th or so flash power through a gel filter like the basketball guys do. I've never tried this but I think it's worth a shot.

Here's the positioning I'm taking about. This shot happens to be across the back of the goal, but I have others looking across the front (if you know what I mean).

Good Luck

1208020914_G8zH9-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2011
    Thanks Mike. That's the kind of specificity I was looking for. I think I understand what you're getting at. The action covers a lot of ground rapidly in the mid-field, but slows down somewhat at the ends, right? So your angles don't change quite so fast? And I'm guessing that because much of the action happens behind the goal, you can get defenders' faces as well as attackers if you're positioned behind the end line.
    John :
  • Options
    wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2011
    Icebear:

You should enjoy lax. It is a bit faster than FH, but the girls aren't looking down at the ground the whole game!

I also like to shoot from behind the goal, but you're going to have to check with the refs--They frequently dont want anyone behind the end line. A lot of HS fields also have netting behind the goal which can screw up the shot too.

Usually like to hang out about even with the goal, and sometimes wandering down as far as the restraining line (about half way to mid field)--usually trying to be on the side of the field to the goalie's left (as they are facing up field. By being up closer to the goal, you'll get the front of the girls as they are coming downfield with the ball.

503384266_4gfzw-M-1.jpg

724995227_FFJGC-M.jpg

Most girls are righthanded, and even if they can play with both hands, they tend to favor their right and will open their body up to the left side of the field. I'll frequently try and time the shot as they make contact with a defender.
    1090706874_9rZJi-M.jpg

1090486272_konZM-M.jpg

I don't try and shoot much when the balls at the other end of the field, unless I'm just trying to get some shots of the goalie in action.

1090708432_Sz3wM-M.jpg

Don't forget about the draw (equivalent of the guy's faceoff). Both the two girls taking the draw and the girls on the circle:

724995451_Yxr33-M.jpg

724995291_8fqPP-M.jpg

It definately does have a different pace and speed. THe only real thing you can do is get experience. Hopefully JV will play before varsity and you can get to that game. It should definately be slower.

GOod luck and have fun.
    Regards

Will
    edited March 9, 2011
    Thanks Will. Nice to hear from you. I've watched quite a bit of NCAA LAX on the tube, but I'd never really thought about how to shoot it 'till the coach contacted me. She'd heard from the field hockey coach (and some of her girls) about my work last fall, so here I go into uncharted waters. :D
    John :
  • Options
    ropeboyropeboy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2011
    You can shoot down the center line when they face off at the start of play, then shoot bursts as the fight for the ball commences. If you are allowed to shoot behind the net, expect some hard hitting balls to come right at you. And some may hit you. Anticipate goal attempts and try to get the throw and the ball in the air or hitting the back of the net, thatt's difficult. Anticipate the jumps of triumph AFTER a goal. There is plenty of body action, but the faces tell the story the best. Have fun!
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    ropeboy wrote: »
    If you are allowed to shoot behind the net, expect some hard hitting balls to come right at you. And some may hit you.

Thanks for your input. At least there's some cushion behind the goal in LAX, not like field hockey where, if you're on the end line, you don't have any reaction time.

First game tomorrow night. Wish me luck.
    John :
  • Options
    VitaminVVitaminV Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    John,

Just wondering how you made out. Check out my backdrop from last Saturday. High school with the million dollar view.

1219482245_o92Sc-L.jpg

Made for some interesting backgrounds
    1219481936_Jctog-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2011
    :jawdrop Dang, what a view!
    Actually, I couldn't make the game Tuesday. Tonight is my initiation into LAX! Later Dudes and Dudettes.
    John :
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2011
    John :
  • Options
    wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    What an amazing view!! Works really nicely with the shot of a shot! That must be some pricey realestate.
    Regards

Will