Options

Photograph the moon in Los Angeles

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
March 19th's full moon will be the closest it's been to Earth in the past 18 years. I would like to try my hand at shooting the moon for the first time. I will be shooting it with a 500mm lens on a crop body. The techniques I have down. What I need help with is finding a good location that will get me up high and maybe away from city lights.

I live in the SF Valley and am will to drive about an hour or so. I don't want to have go off roading or anything since I will be travelling back home at night. I have a couple of placing in mind but wanted to see if you guys know of any different places.

Any suggestions?
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    I would suggest heading outside of town to Mt Wilson. Not that far away and should get you a little ways from all the light pollution.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    Cool. Mt. Wilson is one of the spots I was think of but I've never been up there. I know there is an observatory there but I think they close at 4PM. Is that where you mean or is there other spots to shoot? Also, how's is the drive up there? Is it a paved road or dirt?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    It has been a couple of years since I have been there. If I remember correctly it is paved at least up to the radio station tower. There are a couple of pull offs as you head up the hill.

Anywhere along the Angeles Forest should be a good bet. Lots of hills that overlook the cities to the west and tons of nothing to the east. Depending on when you head out and the track of the moon that night, you should be able to find lots of darkness.

There is a huge park over near Sierra Madre (south east if I remember correctly) that is also a good dark spot with high hills.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 16, 2011
    I would suggest heading outside of town to Mt Wilson. Not that far away and should get you a little ways from all the light pollution.

+1
    ...I know there is an observatory there but I think they close at 4PM. Is that where you mean or is there other spots to shoot? Also, how's is the drive up there? Is it a paved road or dirt?

paved all the way to the top with lots of places to stop along the way

thumb.gif

• Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    I have a shot idea for Los Angeles. Use The Photographer's Ephemeris
    to locate a position where the moon rises over the Griffith Park
    Observatory.

I thought this spot might be a good location.

I have no actual experience at this location so you should get there
    early enough to scout out the location.

In LA the sunsets at 7:03PM and the moonrises at 7:29pm on Sat.

Just a thought.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2011
    Thanks guys. As luck has it, rain is scheduled for tomorrow. Not sure if this is going to happen now. May have to wait until the next full moon.

My Smug Site