Options

First Attempt at BIF--Great Egrets at Bird City, Avery Island

PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
edited March 23, 2011 in Wildlife
This is my first attempt to shoot birds in flight--the Great Egrets at Bird City, the rookery in Jungle Gardens on Avery Island, Louisiana. Canon 7D, 400mm f/5.6, 1/2500. I have been trying to get the exposure right on these white birds so that they don't show up as too, too white and lacking detail. Seems I was more successful in some shots than others. All comments and suggestions for improvement especially appreciated. :dunno Best, Pam

1. Bringing a twig for the nest

1219996427_Gduq4-L-1.jpg

2. Another twig

1221580880_5a7dA-L.jpg

3. Honey, I'm home!

1221559286_z4gxW-L.jpg

4. Staying under the radar

1221561193_zonqX-L.jpg

5. Urban Fly by

1220897802_xumEx-L.jpg

1221567782_DUBPt-L.jpg

7. Flying low with another twig

1221546899_hS4oU-L.jpg

8. Two platforms at Bird City in Jungle Gardens, Avery Island, Louisiana
1221591924_d4BCU-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    peargrinpeargrin Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Wow! This is your first attempt at BIF, and you have so many so many sharp, lovely results? You're a natural! Brava! I especially love #3...really gorgeous! Cheers, pear

http://peargrin.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Way to go Pam nice work, Lots of Egrets there
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    All nice. Number 3 and 6 are outstanding. Nicely done.thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Nice set Pam. I like 4 the exposure looks good and you don't see that angle too often. I like the last shot too. its nice to see the the habitat.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Well done, Pam. thumb.gif

Number three is terrific! clap.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Very nice work Pam, you nailed a bunch of BIFs and you handled the expsoures very well. Looks like you had some strong light as you had speeds of up to 1/2000 sec at ISO 200.

It looks like a great location for photography.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2011
    peargrin wrote: »
    Wow! This is your first attempt at BIF, and you have so many so many sharp, lovely results? You're a natural! Brava! I especially love #3...really gorgeous! Cheers, pear

http://peargrin.smugmug.com

Thanks, Pear. I really appreciate the encouragement. I did take an awful lot of photos to get those sharp ones! Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2011
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    Way to go Pam nice work, Lots of Egrets there

Thanks, Chris! There are thousands of egrets in Bird City now, but originally, in the 1930's, there were only 8. One of my husband's cousins, E. A. McIlhenny, wanted to help save the snowy egrets, which were being hunted nearly to extinction for their feathers, which adorned women's hats. So E. A., or Ned, as he was known, searched the marsh for several days, and eventually found 8 egrets too young to fly. He put them in a flying cage he had built, and then released them in the fall. They flew off, but have returned each spring since, in increasing numbers. Now we have snowy egrets, great egrets, and cattle egrets. Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2011
    ashrugged wrote: »
    Nice set Pam. I like 4 the exposure looks good and you don't see that angle too often. I like the last shot too. its nice to see the the habitat.

Thanks, Robert! Bird City has an observation platform, so I could look down on some of the birds flying low. I love early spring here. Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2011
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Well done, Pam. thumb.gif

Number three is terrific! clap.gif

Thank you, Ric! I like that third bird too, but to be honest, I was just happy some of my shots came out in focus and in the frame!
    Harryb wrote: »
    Very nice work Pam, you nailed a bunch of BIFs and you handled the expsoures very well. Looks like you had some strong light as you had speeds of up to 1/2000 sec at ISO 200.

It looks like a great location for photography.

Harry, thanks! The light was strong and surprisingly harsh--all shots made on two days between about 4:30 pm and 6:30 pm. Jungle Gardens is a part of Avery Island where I really enjoy photographing especially egrets and alligators this time of year, as there are so many, and they are used to seeing people and cars. It's also really beautiful right now. My husband's cousin, E. A. McIlhenny, who created the garden in the early 1900's, eventually planted over 700 varieties of camellias and I don't know how many varieties of azaleas, which are spectacular right now. Currently there is a big effort going on to re-identify the varieties, some of which are turning out to be quite rare. WAY more than you wanted to know!

Best, Pam
  • Options
    JimW396JimW396 Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    Very nice shots Pam! #4, Staying under the radar, is my favorite.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2011
    JimW396 wrote: »
    Very nice shots Pam! #4, Staying under the radar, is my favorite.

Thank you, Jim! Best, Pam
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    PGM wrote: »
    This is my first attempt to shoot birds in flight--the Great Egrets at Bird City, the rookery in Jungle Gardens on Avery Island, Louisiana. Canon 7D, 400mm f/5.6, 1/2500. I have been trying to get the exposure right on these white birds so that they don't show up as too, too white and lacking detail. Seems I was more successful in some shots than others. All comments and suggestions for improvement especially appreciated. ne_nau.gif Best, Pam

Very nice!!
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2011
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    PGM wrote: »
    This is my first attempt to shoot birds in flight--the Great Egrets at Bird City, the rookery in Jungle Gardens on Avery Island, Louisiana. Canon 7D, 400mm f/5.6, 1/2500. I have been trying to get the exposure right on these white birds so that they don't show up as too, too white and lacking detail. Seems I was more successful in some shots than others. All comments and suggestions for improvement especially appreciated. ne_nau.gif Best, Pam

Very nice!!

Thank you for taking time to comment, John. I appreciate it! Best, Pam
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    Hi Pam
    These are outstanding, especially so for a first attempt. #4 is my favorite as it is such an unusual view. Don't think I've ever seen the top view of a BIF. thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2011
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    Hi Pam
    These are outstanding, especially so for a first attempt. #4 is my favorite as it is such an unusual view. Don't think I've ever seen the top view of a BIF. thumb.gifthumb

Thanks, Jack! Bird City has this observation platform that looks down on the egret platforms--so that top view is possible, especially as the birds are constantly flying around this time of year. Best, Pam
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 21, 2011
    Awesome shots, Pam! clap.gif

In addition to what everyone else said, you also nailed the angles on them perfectly, ie, snagging them on the approaches. Great job!!

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Awesome shots, Pam! clap.gif

In addition to what everyone else said, you also nailed the angles on them perfectly, ie, snagging them on the approaches. Great job!!

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks very much, Joel. And thank you for pointing out the angles thing. It's nice to know what I did right, even if after the fact. I'll try to do it again next time now that you made me notice it! My first impression of BIF is it's not that easy, and it helps to have thousands of birds flying around to give you plenty of chances! :D
  • Options
    Brian_SBrian_S Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    fantastic shots Pam, well done, well exposed, well framed and all nice and sharp...my vote for #4 also.....great view looking down
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2011
    Brian_S wrote: »
    fantastic shots Pam, well done, well exposed, well framed and all nice and sharp...my vote for #4 also.....great view looking down

Thank you Brian! I learn so much from listening to the comments on this forum. So often you all point out things I did not even notice. Best, Pam
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    Nicely done Pam. Very nice series. Diggin' #6. Nice wing position , nesting material a plus and sweet BG on these. Bravo.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2011
    Nicely done Pam. Very nice series. Diggin' #6. Nice wing position , nesting material a plus and sweet BG on these. Bravo.

Thanks, Mike! I thought the BG was pond scum when I first saw it, but my husband says it is duck weed, which is zillions of little tiny plants forming that green layer over the top of the pond. Best, Pam
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    Great set for any time much less your first!
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2011
    Great set for any time much less your first!

Thank you so much, Jeff! Makes my day. Best, Pam