Options

More butterfly species

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
edited September 2, 2005 in Holy Macro
I am now beginning to see substantially more butterflies in the garden - lots of Painted Ladies ( Calm down 'gus, Not that kind of lady :D ), Monarchs, and Swallowtails, but also a few I have not previously posted - so here goes. All were shot with a 20D, a Sigma 150 macro, and a 580ex + LS II for lighting.

A Common Sulphur - seems a strange name for this small colorful butterfly

34379927-L.jpg

A Northern Hairstreak, I believe - a small butterfly - maybe a half inch long

34380118-L.jpg

The sedum is beginning to blossum and the bees and bugs are diving in - this is some type of beetle I think
34380022-L.jpg

And a Monarch butterfly to be :D

34379432-L.jpg

Rants, raves and/or comments are welcomed.
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Wonderful shots Particularly like #3 (possibly a moth?) and the caterpillar.

Brian V.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Nice shots thumb.gif That caterpillar is neat - reversible. First time I've ever seen a caterpillar with antennae.

alan
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    I like the common sulphur, I can never get close to them, they seem shy. Maybe the name refers to their eyes, they look like they are made of sulphur.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    The colours on No. 1 are gorgeous...Lovely shots PF!!
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2005
    Wonderful shots Particularly like #3 (possibly a moth?) and the caterpillar.

Brian V.

Thanks for stopping by LV. Nightingale suggested it is a Lightning bug, but I don't think so. I was inclined to some kind of beetle, had not thought of a moth really. Maybe some one here can fill us in as to species. Just kind of a nice constrast to the light green of the sedum.

• Options
    edited September 2, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    Nice shots thumb.gif That caterpillar is neat - reversible. First time I've ever seen a caterpillar with antennae.

alan

Nightingate gets the credit for noticing the Monarch caterpillar. I have trouble identifyng some critters, but this caterpillar is very distincitve and unique.

And like you said, reversible. I had to wait for it to move before I was sure which end was which.:):

• Options
    edited September 2, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    I like the common sulphur, I can never get close to them, they seem shy. Maybe the name refers to their eyes, they look like they are made of sulphur.

Nick

I agree with you, gluwater some butterflies are very reluctant to let you get close enugh to capture them on silicon. Flighty, they ARE!

I was not completely happy with the green flower on the left, but I only got about 3 frames before this butterfly lofted and was gone. I like the colors so well that I could not resist posting this shot. And the species was new to my eye (not that I know much about butterflies other than the few I see in my own backyard)

Thanks for commenting Nick. Your comment about their eyes looking like sulphur seems correctamundo. thumb.gif

• Options
    edited September 2, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    The colours on No. 1 are gorgeous...Lovely shots PF!!

Thanks for stopping by Gubbs. I just had to get the shot of #1, as I thought the colors were great also when I saw it. Thanks for commenting.

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    I love your shots, Pathfinder. After I had turned the PC off last night I realized that I had not responded to your beautiful captures directly.

I had not seen the antennae on the caterpillar until just now when they were pointed out.

Beautiful,

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.