Options

DSS72 Ideas

WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
edited March 21, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
So I went for a walk last evening and managed to get a couple of candidates. All suggestions welcome!

#1 Down by the River, Under the Bridge
1211418880_NNKiQ-L.jpg
This one will require a reshoot as I shot it Monday. Is it worth the effort?

#2 Down by the River, Under the Bridge 2
1211420021_TK3B3-L.jpg

#3 Playground Stairs
11211419349_bNcwj-L.jpg

#4 Playground Stairs 2
1211419508_CdVN8-L.jpg

#5 Playground Stairs 2 - BW
1211419900_oSVWg-L.jpg

#6 At the Park
1211467366_U94DB-L.jpg

#6 At the Park - Photoshop Fun
1211466307_UDBHq-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    I don't know Karen. For me, they're a little 'inside the box'....
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2011
    Thanks, Paul, for your honesty! So, conceptually a bit weak. Visually uninteresting? How about composition?
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    I really like #2, but I'd like to see more exposure of the bridge supports.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Okay, so I'm probably way out there, but I really like #6 - photoshop fun. It looks like a pinwheel or a butterfly. I might prefer it on its right side rather than the portrait orientation, & maybe with a bit of brightening, but otherwise, I think it looks cool. What effect is that?
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    bf2015 wrote: »
    I really like #2, but I'd like to see more exposure of the bridge supports.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Thanks, Paul, for your honesty! So, conceptually a bit weak. Visually uninteresting? How about composition?

I'm attracted to #1 and #2.
    I reallly like the comp on both. #2 is very pretty with the crispness of the tree. I agree with the others in that it would be nice to open up that shadow just a hair.
  • Options
    rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    I like #1 and #2, but are the same things I had in my head so wonder how 'out of the box' it is :) Time to get thinking again....
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    Okay, so I'm probably way out there, but I really like #6 - photoshop fun. It looks like a pinwheel or a butterfly. I might prefer it on its right side rather than the portrait orientation, & maybe with a bit of brightening, but otherwise, I think it looks cool. What effect is that?

I'm so glad you like it. I thought it was interesting.

I am using Photoshop Elements, so the steps may be different in a different tool.

1. I started with a jpeg file.
    2. It looked a little tilted and I wanted to fix that. so I chose Image - Transform - Perspective.
    3. I got a warning and clicked OK.
    1212017434_Xv7WR-L.jpg

4. I clicked OK to create the layer.
    1212017445_WksXT-L.jpg

5. Now the fun starts. Choose one corner. The cursor arrow will change to gray when you can change the perspective. Pull the corner to its horizontall or vertical opposite.
    1212017448_9JdiV-M.jpg

6. Continue to pull until the top half flips.
    1212017453_og3GW-M.jpg1212017423_qZAKe-M.jpg

7. Duplicate the layer. Right click on the layer and select Dupliocate Layer. Then click OK.
    1212017439_CWrVV-M.jpg

8. Now rotate the layer. Select Image - Transform - Free Transform.
    9. Move the selected area so you can grab the rotate handle.
    1212017444_A3yLb-M.jpg

10. Rotate the image in the layer 90 degrees.
    1212017433_pQqtM-M.jpg

11. Adjust the size and center the rotated image until it fills the frame.
    1212017437_M2sXE-M.jpg1211466307_UDBHq-M.jpg

This time I selected a different corner than I did last night.

Then I tried it with #2
    1212029341_tZ5ye-M.jpg

And then I went a little crazy and applied a Distort - Twirl filter.
    1212029390_3NoUr-M.jpg

And then I did it again on the saved image in the opposite direction. Somebody stop me! :D
    1212035921_P8mdi-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2011
    Thanks, Paul, Karin, Brian, and rbustraen! I'll see if I can pull out more detail in the shadows.

And I may just have to go above and beyond while under the influence on this challenge! :D
  • Options
    PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    O.K.
    The best one is #3 by far. I actually stopped breathing for a moment when I saw this one.
    I would increase the exposure of the lines underneath the stairs to make them brighter - more prominent. The ambiguity of this photo captured my attention, and the composition is on time.

Godd luck!
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,949 moderator
    edited March 10, 2011
    Another vote for #2 with bridge supports more visible. Time of day, tree, blue sky above the bridge - all pluses. Also enjoyed seeing what you could do with photoshop elements, which is what I am using to supplement Lightroom 3. Good luck with it!

P.S. #1 is definitely an interesting shot but doesn't seem "underneath or above" to me.
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2011
    Thanks for the tut! I also use Elements & will have to play with that. (& as suspected, my taste is definitely in the minority on this one!)
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    I like the colors in #1 - there are going to be a lot of bridge shots in this one, and I think that pop of color stands out. Perspective wise- I'm not convinced, although I can see why you have the two birch and the bleached wood framing the painted birch trees on the bridge support.
    edited March 12, 2011
    I admire the pursuit. Very nice. Stay with it. thumb.gif Good things come of it.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2011
    Sorry I have been mostly absent in the commenting for this challenge. Work and family have been impinging on my free time for this round. My grandson was in town for a visit 2 days before I traveled to Pittsburgh for my father's 90th birthday celebration. Good times, but did not leave me much time.

Thanks for all of the great feedback, David, Sapphire73, Lillian, Jake, and Michael!

I am glad you appreciate #3, David. I liked the lines.

I managed to get some shots of Mount Ranier on my way out of Seattle. Do you like any of these better than my previous candidates?

#7 Under my Wing
    1223585625_kXJYH-L.jpg

#8 Summiting
    1223585498_TZH6u-L.jpg

#9 Top of the World
    1223585376_f7YBi-L.jpg

#10 What the heck is that thing?
    1223610870_srzQe-L.jpg

#11 Don't look up
    1223613238_BYVfY-L.jpg

I also liked this one, but couldn't figure out how it would fit the theme. The morning sun was coming in the window at the airport.

#12 Bonus Points
    1223606400_vtxhp-L.jpg
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,949 moderator
    edited March 21, 2011
    I like #3 of the Mt Rainier shots. Not sure if it works better than bridge #2 shot for challenge and about to board our flight, so hope others give you further input!
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2011
    I keep going back to the #7 shot - "Under my wing" - love the title & very fitting for the theme. I also like #8, the perspective really gives an idea of how huge it is, but I might crop a little off the top. I also like #12 - nice catch - but can't see it fitting the theme as well.
    ~Lillian~