Options

bug/feature requests in general / bug tracking system

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 2, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I guess Richard means something like they have over at SourceForge. They have Trackers for every software development group. So when you got a bug or feature to report, you go to the bug tracker and have a look if someone already reported it. If not file your own report and then everybody else can comment on your bugreport. When the developers fixed the bug they change the status of the report to fixed and that's about it.

This would be definately a nice way to channel a lot of the future threads over here into a nice bug/feature request database, but it needs to be done properly and takes some time to set up when you've found a platform to start on.

Just a thought to chime on...

Sebastian

EDIT: example for a free bug tracker

there's also bughost i'll bring this up with the smugmug guys. thanks :deal

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    there's also bughost i'll bring this up with the smugmug guys. thanks deal.gif
    Thanks for looking into this so fast! thumb.gif

I spotted one point in their faq:
    Will my customers see my bug list?
    No. Only you and your team will be able to submit, edit and view bugs, according to the security that you implemented.
    ---

That's maybe not the appropriate service for smugmug, because it would be fixed to SM team members only.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited September 2, 2005
    I guess Richard means something like they have over at SourceForge. They have Trackers for every software development group. So when you got a bug or feature to report, you go to the bug tracker and have a look if someone already reported it. If not file your own report and then everybody else can comment on your bugreport. When the developers fixed the bug they change the status of the report to fixed and that's about it.

This would be definately a nice way to channel a lot of the future threads over here into a nice bug/feature request database, but it needs to be done properly and takes some time to set up when you've found a platform to start on.

Just a thought to chime on...

Sebastian

EDIT: example for a free bug tracker
    I wasn't really thinking of a formal tracking system. I have used such systems and they are great tools for techies and I imagine Smugmug uses one internally.

I was addressing a much simpler problem: the bugs and new features thread contains many different subjects and there is no easy way to navigate it. Unless you drill down into the thread, you have no way of knowing what a new post is about. So fewer people will read the post than might if they could see the topic.

In fact, Sebastian, I'm surprised you even saw my post. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    rsinmadrid wrote:

I was addressing a much simpler problem: the bugs and new features thread contains many different subjects and there is no easy way to navigate it. Unless you drill down into the thread, you have no way of knowing what a new post is about. So fewer people will read the post than might if they could see the topic.

subscribe to the thread, and you'll see the updates as they happen :D
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    bug/feature requests in general / bug tracking system
    (started a new thread from the last discussion in the bug/feature requests... Andy, can you move the corrospondent posts here, please?)
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I wasn't really thinking of a formal tracking system. I have used such systems and they are great tools for techies and I imagine Smugmug uses one internally.

In fact, Sebastian, I'm surprised you even saw my post. rolleyes1.gif
    I saw it by chance for the reasons you already mentionend. Therefore I only rarely visit this thread. Another problem is that there's to much discussion in it which isn't at all revelvant for bug/feature-tracking.
    Therefore I started the new thread.
    andy wrote:
    subscribe to the thread, and you'll see the updates as they happen :D
    This maybe works for the mods and the SM team, but the average SM user won't be interested in getting to know which bugs others report all the time. When he encounters one and wants to report it, he just wants to it with as less hassle as possible, I guess.

Sooner or later SM will need a better platform to handle such things. At least I had the desire for such a thing more than once during my dgrin/SM-time.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero